Potential Expat League ~

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Simonoz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

Hi All

Being pretty new to this can someone explain a few basic things to me?

The first - When do the 'finals' begin. I'm not going to be in them but I do have some trades left and wonder whether I should use them up soon.
    Second - Does the league position still matter after the finals start? If so, then I'm still in the game but if not, then I may as well blow all my trades as soon as possible.

Cheers in advance

PS - Cyclone Utter Bastard has been replaced by beautiful blue skies so I'm off for a cold Tiger in the park

2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Off to the American club? That was a fun place. I was always amazed at how that woman kept track of the split bill so easily.

The finals are on in the last 4 rounds of the season. And all our scores in those weeks still count towards our league standing.

3. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

And even though there is a top 8 Finals, there is also a bottom 8 finals so you could still win that GF, if your run to the top 8 falls short.

4. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

No rest for the wicked. Carlton had a few Tigers in the park as well.

VVV top scored with a huge 2658, coming home strong. Relton won a tight tussle over Husslah. Five managed to top 2500 this round. Huge effort guys and I even managed to achieve the magical 2300+ I have been chasing all season. Anyone know how we stand?

There has been some interest from chels in Auckland joining us next year, as well as Dirty Whorks (owns an apartment in Jakarta, Indonesian wife and regular visitor, so qualifies I think). This could mean Hupyas dropping out (that I run for my mate) to accommodate one of these, but really I think if we all work at it we can get two leagues going, sort of a 1st Division for you guys and I can look after a 2nd Division. Whatever, I think you guys are good enough for top 10 next year and Dirty would strengthen things a bit. Just some idle thoughts at this stage, but interested in any views.

5. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Up to 24, averaged over 2400.

Would be happy with the Div's as I'm sure there are more Expats out there who'd love to be involved.

Only 2 wins separate 3-9 so jostling for positions will really be important in the last 3 rounds.

In overall points, 5 in the top 500 teams. Pretty impressive from those guys

6. anthak

I reckon divisions are the way to go - there are surely enough expats around . After a slow start, we ended up filling the league quite quickly.

The donor team is in a TS league where there are about 5 people from os - none from our league.

It looks like I won't be in it next year. We moved to Perth a couple of months ago, and are most likely settling down here for a while.

7. TerryinBangkok

Thanks for the data J. Impressive.

@ant, from what I've heard, Perth is a bit like Queensland, a whole 'nother country, so stick around.
    <blockquote>The donor team is in a TS league where there are about 5 people from os - none from our league. </blockquote>
    Was it not me who got whacked by the donor team last week? Or is this a different league and is there any way we can get in touch with them (and, curiously, how do you get to know they are not from Oz)?

8. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on July 4, 2011, 12:53
    Thanks for the data J. Impressive.

@ant, from what I've heard, Perth is a bit like Queensland, a whole 'nother country, so stick around.
    <blockquote>The donor team is in a TS league where there are about 5 people from os - none from our league. </blockquote>
    Was it not me who got whacked by the donor team last week? Or is this a different league and is there any way we can get in touch with them (and, curiously, how do you get to know they are not from Oz)?</blockquote>

Perth is the most remote city on earth apparently. In that it's the furtherest away from any other city, than any other city in the world.

The league that I'm talking about is called 'Stockholme cup' which is a bit of a tip. And there is a team called Swedish Vikings in it too.

On their own, those 2 factors don't necessarily say that they are expats in there. But I think I remember that when they posted the league code on TS, they said they were os... But I'm not sure.

I'll post a comment on the psych out

9. squidmanus

squidmanus New Member

yeah i work with a guy here in Norway that plays for the Oslo Crows (norwegian aussie rules team) and they have their own league which is nearly all aussies living over here or sweden as well.

Perth is ok mate. I lived there for 25 years and I turned out ok..I think. Its got everything you need but seriously lacks in forward thinking. prepare for shops to be closed after 5pm,bars where no matter what you need black leather shoes (no laces now i hear is the new rule as well),10 buck pints at 90&#37; of said pubs and just make sure if you go to the footy at Subi you piss before the game and hold on for the rest,you can seriously miss a quarter of football waiting for one wee.

10. TerryinBangkok

@sqiddy
    Not too sure how many will get this one: Patterson's Curse.

Every chance we could drop out of the top 20 this weekend. Lots of donuts in the oven and can't blame anyone for wanting to hold trades. Missing in action this weekend are (potential donuts in bold):
    BTR Def5, Mid1, Fwd4
    RR Mid1, Fwd3
    Diki Def3, Mid3, Fwd4
    VVV Def2, Mid1, Ruc2, Fwd5
    Snoz Def1, Mid2, Fwd4
    HUS Def2, Mid2, Ruc2, Fwd5
    Cooda Def3, Mid1, Fwd5
    BF Def2,Mid2, Ruc1, Fwd5
    train Def3, Mid2, Fwd4
    ELev Def3, Mid2, Fwd5
    Schw. Def1, Mid2, Fwd4
    Freu. Def3, Mid1, Fwd5
    ant Def1, Mid3, Fwd4
    Hanoi Def3, Mid2, Ruc1, Fwd2
    RW Def3, Mid2, Fwd4
    Hup Def3, Mid1, Fwd6

Problem clearly in the forward line and only a few have the option to swing Petrie in there to cover the hole. Guess we will just have to suck it up.

11. anthak

Thanks for the tips squidmanis. We like it here in Perth. The weather is generally awesome. But has been really cold last week or so. Anyway we happy here overall. The general level of thinking is quite backward, and there is a massive emphasis on mining which we don't like so much. But we meet so many great people over here at the same time. But actually, it's pretty funny, not many are originally from Perth! Lol

Thanks for that analysis TiBby! Great stuff! Good to see I'm not the only one with issues up fwd this week. I won't be trading. Looks like a lot of us are in the same boat here, but I'm worried about my teams bad influence on my &#36; league that's ranked 7th atm. I hope I don't cause that league any more pain then I already am.

12. squidmanus

squidmanus New Member

no donuts for me (barring late withdrawals) and I didnt use a trade. thank god for zac smith being named and tom lynch backn in the GC side

13. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Hey Guys,

after a week or so in the desert of northern South Australia I'm baaaaaaack (to paraphrase Jack Nicholson in the Shining). :)

Still catching up on work, so not much research into this week's KOD to this point. Possible candidates are Gilbert, Fisher, Davis, Brennan and Grundy. Or maybe none and just sit this round out.

Tibby, I am very familiar with both Patterson's Curse and Salvation Jane (choose a name for the same plant depending on whether or not there has been a drought or not).

14. TerryinBangkok

Welcome back bjaensch, glad u got the Patterson's bit.

Copping 2 x donuts from Tape & Didak and a possible 3rd from Scotland. And a possible 4th from NRoo and a possible 5th from Buddy. And......you get the picture.

Looking on the brighter side, those 2 would likely rack up at most a ton between them, so hopefully somebody else goes big to compensate a bit.

General thoughts on TS seem to be favouring Richardson not getting a run. Oops, there's another one.

15. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

@Tibby. The Scotland thing caught me off gaurd. was feeling quite smug until then.

V sad news today. Just traded Westhoff out. The team just doesn't feel the same.

16. TerryinBangkok

Me too. DT have him as unlikely to play. If you have MPP DEF/MID + an extra on the MID bench, you could swing Scotland to MID and have the bench cover him there in case he doesn't start.

Turf toe, has to go. Who did you get for him?

17. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

If Buddy plays, I'll have a full team, if not then I'm hoping for CRicho to get a game to avoid the 0.

Westoff has been pretty good stats wise so I'd be sad to lose my POD guys.

Could be a nasty round if Roo & Buddy pull out though.

18. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

@Tibby. I went for Josh Kennedy (I now have two of them in my team - Will rename to the Joshes next year) at the eagles as they have done with all their byes.
    Just read this morning that Buddy is a cert. Thank god for that
    @ant - How many Hawks are out at the moment? Can't believe we are in the top four with only three or four players left on the park. I've been in training this week, just in case.

19. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

@ Neil, if you're over 6"4, then get on a plane to Tassie.

Hawks injury list is 13 or 14 so it is remarkable we are where we are. 2 x honourable losses to the Cats included in our 4 so have to happy with our position.

20. TerryinBangkok

"Josh Kennedy" Lucas' secret love child. Nice choice.