Potential Expat League ~

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Simonoz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I'm playing Rommel in one league - and it's 1st v 16th! And he's been talking up my chances all week... Tanking perhaps, TiB?

2. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from husslar on August 5, 2011, 08:08
    Huge matches this week in our league...
    I am sitting pretty in top 4 of all my other leagues but need to be Anthak to make top 8 here. Big problems with GAJ, Shaw, Sylvia, Griffin all in my team.

Do i hold fast with my few trades remaining and focus on other leagues or trade away to strengthen my team this week?

Thinking i will trade as i am a huge competitor and want to go down swinging! Been top 8 all year so would be crushed if i slipped out the last week.

Good luck Ant, and all those on 7-7... </blockquote>

Husslar, we're having a ring-a-ding game at the moment mate!

3. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Noticed that. Nice tight struggle.

4. TerryinBangkok

And thanks world, you can cancel that request. Too bloody late!

5. snoz

snoz Moderator

Have paid scant attention to my matchup with the all powerful Tibby this week....just had a glance....my scant attention for the week matches the scant attention Tib has paid to his team all this year me thinks :)

6. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from anthak on August 6, 2011, 18:07
    <blockquote>Quote from husslar on August 5, 2011, 08:08
    Huge matches this week in our league...
    I am sitting pretty in top 4 of all my other leagues but need to be Anthak to make top 8 here. Big problems with GAJ, Shaw, Sylvia, Griffin all in my team.

Do i hold fast with my few trades remaining and focus on other leagues or trade away to strengthen my team this week?

Thinking i will trade as i am a huge competitor and want to go down swinging! Been top 8 all year so would be crushed if i slipped out the last week.

Good luck Ant, and all those on 7-7... </blockquote>

Husslar, we're having a ring-a-ding game at the moment mate!</blockquote>
    Wow, after 10 each it was pretty much even Husslar... but after 6 more each - you've jumped out to a 300 point lead! my captain choice absolutely stinking!!!!!!

7. husslar

husslar New Member

Yeah mate... sorry for this but thank you very much Mr. Bolton (not you Michael you arse clown)

It not over yet, remember i have Cam Richardson on field and he is capable of a minus score!

Hope the Expats can start making their way back up the league tables this week.

8. anthak

Michael may have scored better for me!

9. TerryinBangkok

Think it was the famous philosopher Popeye who said, "Et tu Brutusk".

10. TerryinBangkok

Well done to ELev with a nice 2500+. Sadly it was not enough to get him into the 8.

How are we shaping up for finals? Few trades left? Some are going to need them.

1 vs 4

Dave is limping a bit with Newman, Coad and Hibberd. During the campaign will have to find cover for Gibbs, Judd, Enright, Stevie J., Petrie. Should not have any ruck dramas. Dave would very much like GAJ and Sylvia to play this week. The result may depend on it. Last round Dave scored 2490.

Simon will have to pay scant attention to cover for Scotland, Gibbs, Enright, Heppell, Judd, Swallow, Hibberd, Vardy, Petrie, Chapman. Simon faces a big hurdle if Z. is rested and Vardy not given a run. This might require a trade for a gun ruck anyway, as difficult to rely on much of a score from Z. Last round Simon scored 2364.

In this clash we have a team set-up for leagues playing a team set-up for overall.

2 vs 3

During finals Bill will need to find cover for Gibbs, Duigan, Strauss, Bartel, Hibberd, Vardy. No problems foreseen in the ruck. Bill is set up for finals. His only exposure is down back the following week, so will be relying on a victory this round. Last round Bill scored a modest (for some) 2284.

Steve has to cover Gibbs, Judd, Curnow, Petrie. He can survive in the ruck, but would very much like GAJ and Sylvia to play. Slightly exposed with Judd/Curnow if he has to play again next week. Last round Steve scored 2423.

So, who believes that if you focus on overall, leagues will take care of themselves? We are about to find out. Taking a look at the ranking by total points:
    1. Simon 2. James 3. Dave 4. Corey 5. Clint 6. John 7. Stephen 8. Steve.
    Bill, second on the ladder, did not even make the 8. Clearly he is a leagues man.

Good luck to all, some titanic struggles in store

11. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Tibby, my goal is not to have to play in R22. I reckon I may have a chance this week (got my fingers crossed that Sylvia stays dropped :) ), if not it will be out in R22 against one of the guns. I have little hope of winning in R23 even if I win this week unless some big domino's go down.

My main issue was poor trade management during the middle part of the season, principally over reactions to form drops, injuries and suspensions. Not to mention Mr. Shaw costing me three trades over two weeks. Lot's of value on my bench that can't be realised. :-(

Anyhoooo, for only my second SC season, I'm pretty happy. No delusion from my perspective on overall vs leagues; there was never any doubt that mine was a league approach, primarily due to still learning on how to play the game. My wins over the guns in early rounds was almost certainly down to opponents still in the "team building phase" while I probably had more mid pricers (not going to do that again) scoring a handful more points to get over the line.

Should be some interesting games this week that's for sure.

12. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Very quiet this week guys. We must all be hunkered down in our bunkers planning earlier and now seeing how things play out.

Some tight games in progress!

13. TerryinBangkok

Indeed. For me at least, the way the games have panned out makes it too soon to be certain of anything. Can only sit back and watch in horror/fascination.

It comes down to Sunday and if your Stevie J or your Goodes goes huge that could well decide it for you.

14. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

WOW! Some tight games gentlemen! More than happy with my result (sorry Steve). Can relax for a week now and then it's hope for the best in R23.

15. TerryinBangkok

Well done bjaensch and our other victors. Those who have to front again this week are not out of it by any means. Tight games yes, but some very surprising scores which indicate it is possible to turn things around.

Feast your eyes on the 2.5s in the minor league gentlemen, and the 2.2s in the major.

Felt sure Neil was going to extract his revenge on me (was kinda hoping he might get up actually), but was not to be.

Lots more intrigue to come. Would throw out a special request to those eliminated that you keep on putting your best team forward as it helps our overall.

16. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

Congrats Tibby. I was having a beach holiday with the family in your neck of the woods all week and the missus was geting well anoyed with me for continually dumping the kids on her so I could check the SC progress. All for nought in the end. Looking forwrad now to Div 2 next year.

17. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Good luck to everyone playing this week.

And some good news for all of those who have been hurt by the KOD all year: there will be no more for the rest of the season.

Not because I have no further improvements to make to the team (there are plenty of those....) by simply because there are no trades left in the bucket.

Snoz, I am barracking for you this week and am hoping that your Carlton contingent knock out some big scores. Mainly because they won't be playing next week....... :)

cheers,
    Bill

18. TerryinBangkok

Good luck to all.

I'm going on a very strict diet this weekend - donuts.

19. TerryinBangkok

One suspects V V V had some trades up his sleeve. Well done to eliminate the Fizz with a 2386. In the other final, Husslah put Simonoz out of his misery going out in straight sets. Problem when you are the Champion of Champions, the fall is always a long way down. Husslah managed his win with a 2378.

Now this result pits this pair against Relton and BTR next round in sudden death. Relton had a 2316 on the weekend and BTR a 2215. Can't read too much into that, but can't see any walkovers in there.

Have to go to the minnows if you want to see walkovers and a couple of good ones coming up this weekend. t-train had a nice win over anthak and the biggest surprise of them all (sound trumpets), the Whiners managed to get up over ELev (well, let's be honest, ELev was probably focused on the EPL or NFL or synchronised swimming or something). So Simon, I'M STILL HERE!

Best of all, our ranking crept up to 35. Great stuff people.

20. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Nice win Tibby.

Yes, VVV and Husslah seem to be peaking at the right time.

I suspect that Husslah will be sweating the injury report on Pav for this week. Mind you, he probably has trades up his sleeve to cover if Pav does not play, particularly given that Sylvia's mother failed to teach her boy sufficient on field decorum to actually keep him on the field for the next two weeks.