Potential Expat League ~

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Simonoz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Simonoz sits in the No. 1 spot with 2369, closely followed by t-train in 6th with 2367. Thus America maintains its status as a world power.

Meanwhile, over in the 3rd world, Ant and his mate Neil from Hanoi hold down the anchor and will have to climb over the rabble sitting just above them in me and my mate Marty.

The overall ranking of 86 is something to be proud of. Let's all try to stay in the top 100, okay?

Simonoz and Buck's Fizz in R2 promises to be a close one.

2. TerryinBangkok

@perhaps our ranking might even be higher if we could count on the scores of 2368 from Ant II and the 2208 from PNG Raskols?

3. snoz

snoz Moderator

I would just like to thank my Mum & Dad, God, the next door neighbor when I was growing up for always beating the crap out of me and making me want to be a better man(boy)........ugh......

My one wish was to beat Terry, just to show him that info rcvd here 6 hrs later than anyone else is still good info :)

4. TerryinBangkok

I can take one on the nose. The kid next door dropped a brick on my head, but I am not using that as an excuse.

This option of being in 5 leagues means that you cannot possibly hope to cover your opponent in all. So you either decide which of the 5 is most important to you and set yourself for that, or you simply just go with the best team you can muster to cover all leagues. Going to become interesting come finals though when the old strategy of trading in a Chappy to match his Judd is just going to be so much harder if you are involved in all 5.

I am coming around to a way of thinking that, okay, go all out to beat your opponent in Expats each week, but also be conscious of the need to lift this league into the top 50. This could mean those at the top offering some help and advice to those who are struggling - particularly with some post-game analysis (Cap/bench choices, possible trades, etc.), so we can lift their scores. Early days, but something to consider.

5. snoz

snoz Moderator

Great idea Terry.....bumping thread, will look at some teams today

PS.....When does Daylight Savings end in Oz?

6. ELeviathan

ELeviathan Active Member

Very solid start for the league - did any of us expect to be in the top 100 leagues?

@ Terry - Like the top 50 goal - hope to contribute towards that and get a bit more out of my team this weekend. Btw mate, what's the weather like in Thailand in June - thinking of a trip but can't remember the Monsoon cycles (lived in Burma for a few years back in the mid 90's so you reckon I'd remember - have a sneaking suspicion it is pissing down rain as Water Festival is in April right??)

7. snoz

snoz Moderator

Ok....taking Terry's advice above:

Hanoi Hawks (Neil)...you've gone a very Mid Price setup which will make it hard to makes changes.

That being said, here is my opinion only ok:

Trade out Lecras in the Fwds & Mzungu in the Mids....neither will now play for the next two mths.

But I think your going to have to stagger these changes, so this week FWDS ~ trade out LeCras (399k) and Jack Watts (260k) and bring in Nick Roo (529) & perhaps Tapscott(110).

That will give u a fwd line of:
    NRoo/Rioli/Buddy/Higgins - McKernan/Darling/Richo/Tappy/Lynch.....JWesthoff ugh

Leaving 4 Prems,5 cash cows...and Westhoff, who you can use next next, along with Mzungu....to upgrade ur mids.

Just my thoughts mate, as always...its your team!

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

its a bit early to be making big changes i reckon... round 2 could see all fortunes reversed from week1, and teams that are in the top 1000 could end up ranked 100,000th quite easily...

but obviously LTI's need to be rectified. and that is what you are primarily suggesting Simon - so i agree.

9. TerryinBangkok

As I said above, early days, but agree with S'oz suggestions on NR & Tapscott, with caveat that it is Neil's team. Agreement is on basis that LeCras is LTI (as is Mzungu) so an R1 trade justified.

Do not know, but assume DST ends April 1.

10. anthak

as the official expat ambasador in australia, i have been told that DST ends this weekend... not sure of exact date though??

11. TerryinBangkok

@anthak,

Hope you didn't forget to pop this week's teams in the diplomatic bag. He should get them first thing Monday morning.

And I hope who ever beat me R1 is happy now. Grrrr!

Have thought about "Potential Expat League" and now read it as, Expat League with heaps of potential. Some time back I raised the question with walesy on a facility where TS leagues could be discussed and the admin, etc. could give a quick summary after each round. Think walesy's response was something like watch this space, so still watching.

12. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

DST ends this weekend so won't be a problem for Round 2 but for Round 3, remember the lockout will be an hour earlier.

13. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Simonoz on March 31, 2011, 04:29
    Ok....taking Terry's advice above:

Hanoi Hawks (Neil)...you've gone a very Mid Price setup which will make it hard to makes changes.

That being said, here is my opinion only ok:

Trade out Lecras in the Fwds & Mzungu in the Mids....neither will now play for the next two mths.

But I think your going to have to stagger these changes, so this week FWDS ~ trade out LeCras (399k) and Jack Watts (260k) and bring in Nick Roo (529) & perhaps Tapscott(110).

That will give u a fwd line of:
    NRoo/Rioli/Buddy/Higgins - McKernan/Darling/Richo/Tappy/Lynch.....JWesthoff ugh

Leaving 4 Prems,5 cash cows...and Westhoff, who you can use next next, along with Mzungu....to upgrade ur mids.

Just my thoughts mate, as always...its your team!</blockquote>

This is a good suggestion that will bring in more points for HH. Another, instead of jack watts getting the boot could be Whitecross down to Lower then LeCras to Roo.

At least Watts has good JS and although not appreciating that much in value, should score more points consistently than Whitecross who was a sub in Round 1.

14. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

I'd forgotten all about this 'TooSerious'thing until today and was a bit surprised to see I'm the hot topic after only one round. When Ant told me about this I thought it would be a bit of light relief from a 12 hour a day job, raising kids and entering the property market for the first time but I guess I got it wrong when I thought the 'too serious'thing was supposed to be ironic.
    I guess I want to find out what the league's goal is to see what I do next. If it's just a competiton between us all then I'm happy to jog along, Richmond style, getting pasted most weeks but revelling in the odd victory that may come my way. If it's our leagues goal to dominate the rest of the world I'll need to become a bit more SydneySwans professional in my approach.
    Many thanks for the suggestions though. I realised half way through Saturday that my mid price players were doing me no favours, and have made moves to rectify that. No way I'm getting rid of Westoff though. He's the only player there who makes me look handsome in comparison.
    Cheers

15. TerryinBangkok

@HH

Welcome. First thing to do is reshuffle your work load so you have 12 hours of pure SuperCoach and then the rest of the time you can alternate between sleep and worrying whether you have made the right SC decisions. The more correct decisions you make, the more shut eye you get.

Westhoff may be a good POD, especially with Schultz out, but we would be interested in the other decisions you have made (and hopefully haven't pulled the trade trigger yet).

It is the goal of our league to dominate the world. The more games you win by massive scores, the closer we will get to our ideal. Folks in our league are eager to help with suggestions - but you are allowed to say no thanks at any stage without offending anyone.

16. TerryinBangkok

@EL,

Bangkok in June is usually hot and wet, moving to regularly wet in July.

Freezing at the moment and frequent rain - supposed to be the hottest and driest part of the year.

17. spm67

spm67 New Member

@ Terry - sign me up for a job where I could spend 12 hours on SC!! I'm furiously flicking between screens as the boss walks past.....lol

@ Simon - great advice to HH. Before we play this weekend, any advice for me :) I think I'm going to need it!!

18. snoz

snoz Moderator

Will have a quick peek today spammy....

(sitting here waiting for the diplo pouch to arrive)

waiting / waiting......

19. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

Ok. Whitecross out for Lower, and LeCras out for Big Roo. Really Tapscott too but he'll have to wait until next week.

20. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from HanoiHawks on March 31, 2011, 13:05
    I'd forgotten all about this 'TooSerious'thing until today and was a bit surprised to see I'm the hot topic after only one round. When Ant told me about this I thought it would be a bit of light relief from a 12 hour a day job, raising kids and entering the property market for the first time but I guess I got it wrong when I thought the 'too serious'thing was supposed to be ironic.
    I guess I want to find out what the league's goal is to see what I do next. If it's just a competiton between us all then I'm happy to jog along, Richmond style, getting pasted most weeks but revelling in the odd victory that may come my way. If it's our leagues goal to dominate the rest of the world I'll need to become a bit more SydneySwans professional in my approach.
    Many thanks for the suggestions though. I realised half way through Saturday that my mid price players were doing me no favours, and have made moves to rectify that. No way I'm getting rid of Westoff though. He's the only player there who makes me look handsome in comparison.
    Cheers</blockquote>

Hey mate, so sorry if i misled you at all... The people here at this site do definitely take SC very very seriously. probably not Too Seriously... not sure if there is such a thing haha.

Its a great community here where you can get advice/suggestions about yuor team all over the place - from some of the best in the business too. but as Terry said, you dont need to take the advice! Obviously, stick to your guns if you think you should.

good to see you commenting on here now though! you should get a lot out of this site (not talking about SC advice only - but pretty much am) - rooly good bunch of people that contribute here.

anyway - good moves with the 2 trades you went with. NRoo should be a bargain at his price - you just gotta have him. And Lower will probably outdo whitecross and is half the price. still get 2 trades next week too - I really need to do 2 next week i reckon. my Ruck line is doing my head in!

I left Hanoi by the way - you may know already. went down to Danang for a few weeks (and little trips to Hue and Hoi An from there) then we came back to australia about a week ago. Shame we never got to catch up and watch the mighty Hawks at Jaspas or something.

anyway back to SC. I think us two are down the bottom of the ladder atm, but its only 1 week, so the tables could (and probably will lol) entirely reverse in round 2!

also - make sure you check out the stats page on this site . its an extremely useful tool!!