potential trades after round 1

Discussion in 'AFL' started by eckie79, Mar 29, 2011.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

BlueBeliever - I, unlike a lot of people, don't go by the gospel that post Rd 1 trading is entirely verboten.

Certainly anyone with J Brown should trade, but even if you don't have him and realise that you have stuffed something up seriously, I believe that a trade is well within your rights.

I am still, as you know BlueBeliever, tossing up a trade post Rd 1 as I know I've made a big blue with one of my premium selections.

What I would say though is this - if you trade post Rd 1, wait until Friday and team selection (I know in your case BB that you haven't been able to due to lack of internet access).

I would also say you need to be 150% sure that the trade you are doing is not a kneejerk one round reaction but is due to something you can realistically perceive as affecting a player's score for the entire season (unexpected change of role, change of style of play, etc compared to another player's better chance at scoring points due to your perceptions of their role, style of play, etc)

And finally, I would handcuff my hands and lock up he trade box for at least 4-5 weeks afterwards, and pray I got no injuries. You need trades at the end of the year and perhaps to cover byes in an emergency. Once you've made a couple this early, allow others to "catch you" in the number of trades used so you are back on level ground with them.

2. Thanks for that Chris. Part knee-jerk I guess but the trade in was a lot safer than the trade out and was one that I always needed to do at some point, I'd just rather get it out now and pocket the points. If I left Yarran in for the GCS game then he no doubt will have pulled out a big one and make me consider not trading him, which was always the plan after a spud. He may very well still excel at his new role this year but the games he spends working up to it and getting used to the tag will waste too many points for me, maybe one for next year. I suppose I do agree with the premise that sideways trading is probably a no-no without LTI's, but definitely think if I want to stay in touch with the top that a one up one down trade is the best bet here

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

And with the league trade tracker you should have a very good idea of who in your league is burning through too quickly.

My rule of thumb is that the winner is probably going to have to burn through 18 by about round 14, then hang on with MPP and emergencies to get through to the end.

In many ways I think going hard works, the issue with going hard in R1 is that you could just have a small blip which then turns around the next week.

When you start to see breakevens, that's when I start considering the best possible trade, so I get someone either on the cheap or on the up, preferably both.

I'd generally think my best buys are the standard wisdom around the traps for this. You won't get the best out of the box picks, but you will get some good solid staples, like when I said get Swan at 550k because he won't go cheaper last year.

I got on, and so did the final winner. Problem being that I'd already stuffed my side at the start with Tippett, Clark and RELTON

4. Lucas

And with the league trade tracker you should have a very good idea of who in your league is burning through too quickly.

My rule of thumb is that the winner is probably going to have to burn through 18 by about round 14, then hang on with MPP and emergencies to get through to the end.

In many ways I think going hard works, the issue with going hard in R1 is that you could just have a small blip which then turns around the next week.

When you start to see breakevens, that's when I start considering the best possible trade, so I get someone either on the cheap or on the up, preferably both.

I'd generally think my best buys are the standard wisdom around the traps for this. You won't get the best out of the box picks, but you will get some good solid staples, like when I said get Swan at 550k because he won't go cheaper last year.

I got on, and so did the final winner. Problem being that I'd already stuffed my side at the start with Tippett, Clark and RELTON

5. yumcha

yumcha Member

My team is a goner from the 50k race. Took too many gambles in the end with (1) Yarran (2) Everitt (3) Foley. Foley is forgiveable given his gastro (if anything his determination to play on is remarkable). Everitt wasn't too bad given he has to adapt to new team mates, but his job security should be high for the first half of season.

Yarran however ... what a disappoinment. Looks lazy and didn't seem interested at all.

Lesson learnt: One POD is probably all you need in a team.

6. chris88

Another thing BlueBeliever is this - people will be looking seriously at a guy like Curnow after Rd 2 (you'd think) as a trade in target for an underperforming rookie.

What Curnow represents is one of two things - a Muston/Gysberts situation (which we want no part of) or a situation where he'll be your "quick rising rookie" that you can slaughter off really early in order to take advantage of a fallen premium.

I was at Thursday's game with a Carlton supporter, and it was interesting to see both our perspectives on Curnow.One thing I did think about with him is that he seems a very good fit in that Carlton team right now, and would have to be ahead of others jousting for his possie.

You might only need to have Curnow for 6 weeks to make $200K off him. Then it is time for slaughter and upgrade.

How does this relate to trades after Round 1? Well, if you've used 2, you virtually concede that you'll miss out on a guy like Curnow unless you want to do 3 trades and absolutely shut up shop for 6 weeks.

And missing out on Curnow might affect your ability to pick up someone later on ... or it might not. But that's a situation anyone needs to be aware of when making trades post round 1 - the consequences of not having a trade to spend on a fast rising rookie before round 3.

7. JMac

JMac Member

Am thinking Jolly to go. Don't know why I didn't take Hille or Warnock, considering going Warnock and pocketing the cash. Also Curnow for one of my mid rookies.

8. Chris, that's where I think I'll make a trade or two back hopefully. Curnow's already in my team, as is Tapscott who I think after round 1 will be the two big rookies people will be chasing. I missed Pederson but so far Atley is the only rookie I have who hasn't pleasantly surprised me, that has played anyway. Toy, Stanley, Hibberd and Matera are all yet to get a game but I really don't think I'll need to jump onto any fast rising rookies unless they pull ahead of the pack from here out

9. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@JMac

Just looking at your avatar it is obvious you were born to trade. Enjoy your 24 'highs' for the season.

10. kizza

kizza New Member

I got hit by the Le-Crass Bullet and at the moment looking at Nathan Fyfe who is playing more in the middle, When you play in the middle under Big Sandilands you are going to get your hands on the footy. With the extra cash I will be able to get rid of Goodes who I was reluctant to put in from the start and if Garland can hold him to not one touch when the game is up for grabs in the last quarter he doesnt deserve a spot in my team...
    Out: Le-Crass & Goodes
    In: Fyfe & J.Watson

11. chris88

BB - good point - there's one trade recovered instantly.

I don't have Curnow, but have Tapscott, Darling, Heppell, Lower among the very good scorers among rookies in Rd 1.

Atley was my only disappointment as well - and he'll be in the gun if I decide to get Curnow in. Not really fussed about Pederson and am yet to see the GC boys.

JMac - be careful on Warnock - Richmond's rucks on the weekend were awful - confused and actually had a half dozen contests where no Tiger ruckman competed.

12. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@kizza

Normally would not advocate a trade at this time, but your hand is forced a bit and those are two solid selections. Fyfe could end up a unique pick/POD. You will have a couple of days where you regret the Goodes decision, but Jobe will bring home the bacon most weeks.

13. Oh yeah, I also have Lower and of course Krak, forgot about Lower after auto-sort put him in at D3!

14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

@ kizza

I like Fyfe a lot. If I had the guts to pick him I would've, but I only factored one risk into my team. Solid pick.

I really wouldn't jump off Goodes this soon. We all know he is a star, yeah he may play in the fwd line but with have spurts in the midfield. I'm sticking fat with him, and I'm not 100% convinced by ROK's scores yet either.

15. kizza

kizza New Member

@NICK

who would you rather have?

J.Watson or A.Goodes

I think Jobe is looking to good to refuse even kicking goals this year it seems...

16. Lucas

Watch and see Kizza on Watson v Goodes

The first trade you need to make this week though. Go to Higgins. In a smashed side still pumped out the routine 90 or so.

I would be very surprised if Fyfe > Higgins overall at end of year, even thought I have been continually surprised and inspired by the Freo kid.

Higgins is one of the few mid pricers to do his job last week, and should eat up the BL at home this game.

Dogs to really cash in I think mauling the Lions. No love lost between these teams if we remember the old libba rivalries.

17. kizza

kizza New Member

@Lucas

I already have Higgins in he was one of my first picked and it wont be long before theres a few 100's next to his name... But thanks anyways...

18. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

@ Kizza

Honestly I'd rather Goodes + one trade than Watson - one trade at the moment.

Its a premium sideways trade, and these are almost always not the best way to go.

19. Lucas

If you have Higgins, I'd be thinking about strategy to try to get to 22 absolute guns at end of year.

If you reckon Higgins will make top 7 forward, that means you can be a bit more risky with Le Cras. But if you don't, realise out of the Le Cras trade you will have to find a prem somewhere.

My team has 4 guns who I see as being there at e.o.y
    N Riewoldt, Franklin, Rioli, Goodes

I want three more, probably
    Didak, Chapman, Pavlich

Every trade I do, I try to get these three in (or equivalents) so I can be at Round 14 with a team that is fully upgraded, then trades can be used to manage the team from there on.

No use me burning trades now if they don't serve the greater purpose.

I don't want to get a Higgins into my side yet until he shows that he is a better fit than Didak would be. Ditto ROK

Hope that helps.

20. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

In a bit of a situation I wouldn't mind some help working through.
    Had an ok start 2100 odd,, and when I say ok I'm quite disappointed. Some Sub-Par performances from big money guys really let me down. These were Duffield, Boyd, Goodes and Harvey. Also took the risk on Yarran when my gut was always saying 'Danger' is the man....
    I'm happy with all my rookies only really missing out on Pederson and Curnow. So no need to sideways trade any rookies unless Stanley, Harris and Matera all spud it up...

I went into this season planning to have a healthy bankroll of 300k for a quick smash and grab on price rises.
    My thinking now is if a Keeper like Boyd or Duff spud it up again and their B/E's end up in the big negatives and Pederson and Curnow both have good games I will burn 2 Rnd 2 trades there an not loose any cash but generate roughly a 1mil bankroll. Then for each week moving forwards when the byes start rolling in I will be able to trade out the rook's from these teams and go straight up to keepers.

With that in mind I'm thinking about using 2 trades this week and 200k of the bankroll upgrading Yarran and Astbury to Harry Taylor/Enright and Danger/Zaharakis (I upgrade straight away and one sideways to a better performer for the whole season me thinks)who were in my team initially but I went for the risk and cash.
    That will leave me 20 trades after round 5 when my upgrade downgrade plan kicks in, to dance around byes and games lost.(LTI exempt). Which would be the initial starting point of trades we all had last season.
    Reason why I think for my team at least, that this could work is that I plan to only trade heavily and fast with 2 bench rookies and leave one on each line as a slow burner like Lucas has mentioned.

Only concerns about my train of thought is that I really shouldn't be thinking of trading out a player like Boyd even if it does generate cash, it goes against my whole ethos on keepers/premiums trading unless LTI but if his scoring is going to continue to be so bad I think I would prefer to see him injured or atleast out of my side.
    20/20 hindsight is such a %$%#$%

21. kizza

kizza New Member

@Nick
    Fair point but Jobe is up and about and Goodes is always hit and miss each to their own I Guess. I Just wish I didn't get sucked into Goodes pre-season hype...