"Pre-trade" Period

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, Sep 5, 2013.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I know it has been raised in the Marble Bar thread - though I thought it should probably be put into its own thread as it is something concerning more than just Marble Bar. I'm just wondering if we can get some clarity on what should be happening, and what shouldn't be happening during this time before the official trade period starts. I'll admit, I'm guilty of some pre-trade period talks. But there is, I guess, a worry that the line between 'pre trade talks' and 'trade period' is getting blurred a little. Is there a way that we should consider to prevent this pre-draft period happening? Should we be looking at this?

2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Personally I don't think we need to change anything really. I have been informally discussing trade and draft prospects all year, no doubt most of us have at some point, these were not negotiations just discussions on the merit of some players over others and how they fit. In the last week I, like most I imagine, have been approached by 7 other coaches to discuss the possibility of player and or pick exchanges. In two instances these have concluded with a gentleman's agreement that once the trade period opened we would put the trade up for sanction. Some other discussions are still ongoing, others have ended due to my exorbitant agents fee. I have done this prior to every trade period to date.
    The only difference this time was that, due to a number of enquiries fr the same person, I commented that subject to the trade passing the required steps he wasn't available. Next time I will just be sneaky like everyone else :)
    In summary, I see no need for a rule change.

3. grav

grav Guest

Lenh191 wrote:
    Personally I don't think we need to change anything really. I have been informally discussing trade and draft prospects all year, no doubt most of us have at some point, these were not negotiations just discussions on the merit of some players over others and how they fit. In the last week I, like most I imagine, have been approached by 7 other coaches to discuss the possibility of player and or pick exchanges. In two instances these have concluded with a gentleman's agreement that once the trade period opened we would put the trade up for sanction. Some other discussions are still ongoing, others have ended due to my exorbitant agents fee. I have done this prior to every trade period to date.
    The only difference this time was that, due to a number of enquiries fr the same person, I commented that subject to the trade passing the required steps he wasn't available. Next time I will just be sneaky like everyone else :)
    In summary, I see no need for a rule change. +1 to Len Perhaps we should resolve to keep cards under table until official trade period commences and politely reply to future suitors with 'Better offer on table, come back with amazing'

4. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Lenh191 wrote:
    [span style='font-size: 10px;]others have ended due to my exorbitant agents fee. You should be a player agent with the markup you put on some! Liam Pickering, Ricky Nixon and Craig Kelly would struggle with your margins :)

5. chris88

Lenh191 wrote: Personally I don't think we need to change anything really. I have been informally discussing trade and draft prospects all year, no doubt most of us have at some point, these were not negotiations just discussions on the merit of some players over others and how they fit. In the last week I, like most I imagine, have been approached by 7 other coaches to discuss the possibility of player and or pick exchanges. In two instances these have concluded with a gentleman's agreement that once the trade period opened we would put the trade up for sanction. Some other discussions are still ongoing, others have ended due to my exorbitant agents fee. I have done this prior to every trade period to date. The only difference this time was that, due to a number of enquiries fr the same person, I commented that subject to the trade passing the required steps he wasn't available. Next time I will just be sneaky like everyone else :) In summary, I see no need for a rule change. I am in a similar boat Lenh - a couple of agreements in principle that both parties are happy with. Have also had 5 coaches inquire about the one guy, so I've had to hold off on anything to do with him. It is an awkward trade period, this one. Not sure of some players having changing position designations, before any AFL trades and (importantly) many delistments. There's been a couple of deals I've almost done but in the end not done because I can't be sure of where some players will end up being on field (or at which club) in 2014. Thinking I might not be the only one in that boat.

6. Bandit

All the deals done and none with me... boooooo
    To quote Jim Richards Bathurst 1992'You're a pack of arseholes.'

7. graeme

graeme Guest

Ah Banditto that is so sad, perhaps it is because your agent's fees are even high than Chris's rapacious numbers?
    Re Jimmy R - was it pack, bag or sack?

8. Bandit

I think you mean Len's number Chels... the man knows how to haggle
    I would like to think that it is because the deals that have been put to me are for my marquee players... and they will require a kings ransom for me to part with :)
    /Portals/0/User%20Images/haggling.jpg With Jim... was definitely pack... I remember it well!

9. J_C

J_C Guest

And yet you wanted one of my marquee players so cheaply, Bandit? :p

10. Len

Bandit wrote:
    All the deals done and none with me... boooooo
    To quote Jim Richards Bathurst 1992'You're a pack of arseholes.' At least I am upfront about my agents fees, yours are all hidden in the surcharge clauses :p

11. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

17 wrongs don't make a right. What??? Everybody's doing it and I don't care. Getting sick of repeating myself, but what is the point of having an official trade period? Why not 'do it all season' as lenh191 has been doing and just post it in a trade thread when you have reached an agreement? Under the current setup it is not transparent and disadvantages a coach who does not know a certain player is now off the table. There may even be coaches (Fitzy is unusually quiet) who take note from the calendar and plan to return to TS when the trade period opens - only to find someone has raided the pantry. The reason why we don't have an all-season trade window is to prevent a top 2 aspirant loading up from a wooden spoon aspirant for that one moment of glory in August. It is 'normal' to talk outside the trade period. This mirrors the AFL. But deals really shouldn't be struck or players 'taken off the table' because, yanno, you might get a better offer. Like I said, do what you want. Have fun! We all wanted to have fun didn't we? Meanwhile I will draft some laws on conduct unbecoming and dragging the ORFFA into disrepute.

12. Len

I bags Bruce Reid's Role, some other Patsy can have Hird's :)

13. G-Train

G-Train Member

I am active in pre trade talks, but I don't mind if all talks are barred except for the trade period in the future. Of course this is impossible to police, and it would be on each of us to play by the rules.

14. graeme

graeme Guest

I know I am long way away from trade central, but is that the faint aroma of the occasional trade veto drifting towards me?

15. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

/Portals/0/User%20Images/pinning%20police.jpg

16. Bandit

/Portals/0/User%20Images/cactus.jpg

17. chris88

Grabbing cacti is just not a good idea. I do hope the gent is wearing gloves. He doesn't seem to be however. I am with Raptor - I am more than happy to have a rule in place barring discussions until the trade period starts. Maybe to compensate the trade periods could be a couple of days longer. Reason I say that is there may be coaches among us who are not here, taking a post-ORFFA season break from the forum, and who then come back and find out a lot of pre-trade period talking has occurred.They then miss out on an opportunity to discuss trades. In that situation, it isn't fair on them and in that context I'd agree on a moratorium on the discussion until 12.01 am on the 10th. Its probably an unpopular view, but TiB is right - coaches might not be visiting the site after their seasons are done. Again I stress that I've been chatting in this pre-trade period, so I'm not pretending to be lily white or whatever. But I can see where TiB is coming from regards not all the coaches being around at this time.

18. Len

For mine and in all seriousness... Our calendar of events is full of activity for this week, and next, should we also not talk about any of the other items on it unless someone misses the opportunity to have their poke?
    I'll be stuffed if I can see a real issue here, honestly, like I don't get it.
    Surely no-one really thought that on the opening of previous trade periods that the first few trades, posted within a very short period of the thread opening were discussed/negotiated/agreed upon (call it what you will) only within the official period?
    The only difference here, and I promise, hand on heart it will never happen again on this topic, was that grav and myself, separately and on different threads and in relation to different trades, flagged our intent to assist others in target management. Figure it out for yourselves from now on, if I tell you I want Ablett and your first round pick for any player you can take it as a hint... :)

19. graeme

graeme Guest

well said Chris, damn if that man does not talk some serious sense (sometimes).
    I would like to suggest the 'come and get me' posts on the team pages be withheld until 12.01 AEST on the first day of a trade period. I appreciate I have been guilty of a provocative post and am happy to delete it or refrain from posting early in the future.

20. Len

chels wrote:
    well said Chris, damn if that man does not talk some serious sense (sometimes).
    I would like to suggest the 'come and get me' posts on the team pages be withheld until 12.01 AEST on the first day of a trade period. I appreciate I have been guilty of a provocative post and am happy to delete it or refrain from posting early in the future. Y'all are familiar with the outcomes of the Prohibition Act, yes......?