"Pre-trade" Period

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, Sep 5, 2013.

1. graeme

graeme Guest

Raptor wrote:
    Isn't everything on this forum semantics?
    See man, ticks

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

3. graeme

graeme Guest

The author of an email I received very recently may, or may not, wish to remain anonymous. Irrespective I chuckled when I read it and hope a few of you will too. If it is a bit close to home for some, well perhaps you might rethink your attitude and remember we are here to have fun.
    'Subject: Trades<br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] <br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] 'Shit chels, I forgot to reply before the deadline. Sorry my friend. I had decided to resist temptation nonetheless.<br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] <br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] 'But I will say a sincere thank you for the manner in which you approached trade negotiations. I genuinely appreciate your apparent philosophy of having to give something in order to get something.<br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] <br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] 'I'm an advocate of 'win/win' where possible to try and get a deal done and that seemed to be your approach as well. I found it almost refreshing given some of the offers that have invaded my inbox. Attempted trade rape may be a too harsh a description, but I'm sure you get the idea.'

4. TerryinBangkok

<h1 class='heading][span style='font-size: 48px;]AFL Players' Association says Essendon players could have the option of joining Waikikamoocow. </h1>

5. graeme

graeme Guest

And welcome they all are, just send them second class mail care of: Waikickamoocow Footy Club, RD2, Ekatuhuna. Am happy to receive any and all, and to pay the postage if necessary. Hopefully after two weeks in the hold of a boat as sea mail they will come to their senses and beg the board to have them back at Windy Hill.

6. G-Train

G-Train Member

I think sometimes too much judgment is cast on the first offer. [span style='font-size: 14.44444465637207px;]I believe I often give a reasonable first offer. However there are some blokes/sheilas here that I don't know so well, so I don't know how they feel about their players, or whether they realise how much I value or don't value 'x' player. So some offers may seem offensive, however in reality it's simply an innocuous suggestion AKA 'feeler'.

7. TerryinBangkok

Raptors have feelers?

8. TerryinBangkok

Raptors have feelings?

9. G-Train

G-Train Member

One trade discussion I had centred around an older player for a younger GWS player. Now I know that GWS player X is going to be a SC 'star', but he isn't yet. However I don't know whether his owner realises that he is. I don't know if he is his favourite player on his list, or whether he is going to delist him. So my point is don't be 'offended' by an initial offer, but I think offence is acceptable if during protracted talks it becomes apparent your ORFFA colleague is being a jackass, for want of a better animal.

10. G-Train

G-Train Member

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    Raptors have feelers? /Portals/0/User Images/Raptorclaw.gif

11. TerryinBangkok

Only 3 more days to finish your shopping before trade season officially opens! /Portals/0/User%20Images/Santa%20Claus02.jpg

12. grav

grav Guest

chels wrote:
    The author of an email I received very recently may, or may not, wish to remain anonymous. Irrespective I chuckled when I read it and hope a few of you will too. If it is a bit close to home for some, well perhaps you might rethink your attitude and remember we are here to have fun.
    'Subject: Trades<br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] <br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] 'Shit chels, I forgot to reply before the deadline. Sorry my friend. I had decided to resist temptation nonetheless.<br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] <br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] 'But I will say a sincere thank you for the manner in which you approached trade negotiations. I genuinely appreciate your apparent philosophy of having to give something in order to get something.<br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] <br style='color: #454545; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;[/img] 'I'm an advocate of 'win/win' where possible to try and get a deal done and that seemed to be your approach as well. I found it almost refreshing given some of the offers that have invaded my inbox. Attempted trade rape may be a too harsh a description, but I'm sure you get the idea.'

<p style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px;]If trade rape occurs outside of the official trade period is it still classed as rape? (in the ether, noone can hear you scream) <p style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px;]Perhaps indiscriminate probing... <p style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px;]I have always used protection in my negotiations, not 100% if they were consensual tho :)

13. graeme

graeme Guest

Existential questions are always welcome Gravenger, always.

14. TerryinBangkok

You make a sound case le goon. Trade rape cannot occur outside of the trading period nor between the upper knees. At most it could be considered as preliminary petting. That is why they have a pig shooting season in Riverside Gore (after their nightcaps and sculling ranfurly).

15. grav

grav Guest

Lefties are confident of no wrong doings, despite petting their brains out over the last week. Those of us whom are semantically inclined may beg to differ.
    The residents of the Ravine des Casoars (French for Riverside Gore) oft too look to satiate their loins through indulging in le scrofa, tho Ranfurly is generally not wasted on such an event. I once heard that: A man can alter the course of a sporting event by shouting at it. I wonder if Chels had employed this tactic that we might have a different ORFFA Premier

16. graeme

graeme Guest

Sorry, but I cannot answer that question gravenger. Sadly I spent too much of the final's series hiding in a forest trying to answer the old philosophical chestnut about the sound of a tree falling. No resolution, I concluded the trees knew I was there and hence they decided to tease me. Whether it was by falling silently or not falling at all I am unsure

17. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Pass me the rohipnol... I need to get some trades done

18. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

gravenger wrote: I once heard that: A man can alter the course of a sporting event by shouting at it. I tried that yesterday at the MCG. Sadly, it didn't work. Maybe it was the 95,000 other people yelling as well. Alas, season over. But the ORFFA trade period is just beginning - everything changes, everything stays the same.

19. TerryinBangkok

'I once heard that a man can alter the course of a sporting event by shouting at it.' Now there is a signature with potential.