Rate My Team 2015 (3rd Edition)

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 27, 2015.

By Jason on Mar 27, 2015 at 11:00 AM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Again the old thread was getting really long so time for a new one. Links to previous threads:
    RMT 1st edition
    RMT 2nd edition
    Who knows how many times I will change this again before R1 lockout arrives. I suspect the rookie-priced options will move around a bit. But I think I'm mostly happy with the keepers and 'almost-keepers'.
    Presently my bye structure is 7/10/13 which not what I want it to be. 8/11/11 would be much better. I will need to be careful with early upgrades to be sure to improve this position. But it's not impossible to improve the balance before R11, so I'm happy enough for now. What does your bye structure look like?
    Who else is onboard the various bandwagons of some of the players in my team below?
    /Portals/0/Users/222/74/4574/RMT4.JPG
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;][span style='background: #fcfcfc;]Just to repeat the ground rules for RMT:
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;]1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work.
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;]2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback,your post will be deleted.
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;]3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule.
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;]4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 27, 2015.

1. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      what changes have you made since the last cut jason - and why ??
    2. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      a good rule to follow

having said that I think this is a case of Harry L's upside being gameplan related, whereas Griffen's is value related given his injury issues last year

both are clearly worth a close look
    3. Mad_Mattigan
      Mad_Mattigan
      I'd say your mids were a little light on... GAJ and then 3 premos carrying 4 on-field rookies is a risk. Especially because no-one really knows how the little master will get on. Downgrading GAJ could generate serious coin... Even down to Pendles nets $70k. GAJ to Griffen makes $200k!

Otherwise, looks pretty solid.
    4. Mad_Mattigan
      Mad_Mattigan
      In the spirit of information gathering, I always make sure that I visit a number of SC sites for a truly balanced input.
      For example, looking over the RMT threads on here, most teams overlook Heater in the backs and start with Gibson. If this is the only site you read, then subliminally, you start to expect similar players, with slight differences.

For consideration, this is Paige Cardona's (the brains behind SCPaige.com.au) team...

DEF: Shaw, Newnes, KK, Brown, McIntosh, Saad (Byrne, Hamling)
      MID: GAJ, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Selwood, Beams, Griffen, Cripps, Ellis-Yolmen (Heeney, Lambert, Miller)
      RUCK: Goldstein, Maric (Cox)
      FWD: Gray, Martin, Swan, Salem, Clark, Hogan (Lonie, Lamb)

Obviously, a VERY mid-centric strategy, few mid-pricers and the usual suspects as rookies. For me, this team is making me take a long hard look at my team, as I just don't think some of my mid-pricers are going to be able to stay with this lot...
    5. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      at the moment i have a 3-8 midfield including GAJ, plenty of tinkering still to do though
    6. Matty C
      Matty C
      I don't mind her team, but that backline is shocking. Can't believe anyone would be brave enough to only have 1 premium in defence coupled with 2 mid pricers and 3 on field rookie priced players. Not convinced on Nathan Brown on field, not to mention McIntosh and Byrne have shaky JS at best. I think she could be completely stuffed come round 5 with that defence and already be copping zeros as she won't have the cash to complete any corrective trades in defence.
    7. Jason
      Jason
      How much money will this team make from all those DEF rookies compared to another team with more MID rookies.

Lots of slots to upgrade but perhaps not enough cash generation to get there.
    8. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I agree some that an independent check never hurts. They have Ablett and a lot of teams here don’t. They could struggle for cash generation if their extra Defensive and Forward rookies generate less cash than teams with different structures, although they would hope to be well in front on points at that stage.

Replace 2 of the premium midfielders with rookies (one of which is Van Den Berg) and replace 1 defender with Gibson/M Johnson/Lumumba/Higgins or B Smith and replace 1 forward with one of the Killer B’s (Bontempelli or Bartel or Bellchambers) and you are looking at a pretty stock standard 4 Premo Mid TooSerious team.

As we all know a lot of teams in SC world will be within 2-5 minor changes of each other so it is good to see something a little different.
    9. Mad_Mattigan
      Mad_Mattigan
      Lol!
      So to summarise... Make changes to the backs, forwards and mids and it'll be the same as everyone else?

I think the comments about cash generation are valid, but also the requirement for cash is also less, with only 2 mid (the expensive buggers) upgrades required.

FWIW I can't cop having H. Shaw as my 'dependable' back either! That'd be like relying on J. Waite in the forward line!
    10. petethepublisher
      petethepublisher
      It's crunch time. I know I put up a good case with stats not to have GAJ in the second edition of RMT but it looks like he is going to play and I have changed my mind. If he is not in my starting team it is too hard to re-jig and get him back in - even if he drops fifty grand. Will use the captains loophole with O'Brien as the fall back just in case he has a bad first game.
    11. petethepublisher
      petethepublisher
      I have posted but not made team comments as I think that my knowledge is irrelevant but for the record here is where I am at - no need to answer as it's not protocol.
      Gibson, Taylor, Newnes, Lumumba, Geary, Mcintosh (Brown pie, Dalgleish)
      Ablett, Pendlebury, Lewis. Boak, Steven, Rich, Cripps, Heeney (Ellis-Yolmen, Miller, Steele)
      Goldstein, Leuenberger (O'Brien)
      Gray, Martin, Bontempelli, Salem, Clark Hogan, (Adam Saad, Karnezis)
      $23,500 in the bank – rookies subject to selection but I don't like Karnezis or Steele as I don't think they will play

12. Jason
      Jason
      Leuenberger is the selection I like the least from your team.
      Who gets tagged at StKilda this year if not Steven?
      I like the Adam Saad selection.
    13. petethepublisher
      petethepublisher
      I am a Saints man and just love Jack Steven but I guess if I am trying to win I should swap him for Chris Masten. As for Leuenberger I think he deserves a chance despite the fact that he has hurt me before - now the drug saga is over perhaps Bellchambers will fit and give me a bit of extra cash
    14. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      In - Bartel, B Smith, VanDenBerg/midpricer
      Out - Lamb, Griffen, Beams
      Saad switched into the mids

hardly a massive difference
    15. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      i thought adam saad was D/M and ahmed saad is F
    16. petethepublisher
      petethepublisher

oops that should be Ahmed Saad
    17. maRGas
      maRGas
      I do the same thing every year, leave it to the last minute then cram like mad. Anyway, give me your worst!

DEF
      Shaw, Gibson, Newnes, Lumumba, Goodes, McIntosh (Dalgleish, Hamling)

MID
      Ablett, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Griffen, Will Langford, Cripps, Heeney, Ellis-Yolmen (Vandenberg, Miller, Saad)

RUC
      Goldstein, Naitanui (Read)

FWD
      Gray, Martin, Swan, Bontempelli, Salem, Clark (Hogan, Lonie)

Remaining Salary: $29,600

I'm hoping Langford &amp; Cripps are ready for breakouts. I tried to squeeze Neale in as well but just wasn't able to make it work without leaving my FWD too bare. Never done a RMT so am keen to hear thoughts.
    18. maRGas
      maRGas
      Also, my bye rounds look like this
      20/21/19
    19. Mad_Mattigan
      Mad_Mattigan
      Whilst I agree with you in principle TTH, one of the most fundamental team picking strategies players need to choose, is the spread of their premium players.

The first is the GnR/Mid Pricer question -> How many premos?
      Then where to position those premos...

Most players on TS have gone 4/4/2/3 ('ish')setup with their premium players.
      This team is 2.5/6/2/3 strategy. Whilst it looks similar, it's a different focus.

I'm not trying to say it's a winning strategy, but it's something different for the masses to consider. Certainly when I saw it the first time, I thought 'whoa, that's better than mine!' but then Jason's point about taking the long view is very relevant.

Will the points gained early in the season by extra, quality midfielders offset the extra time it will take to upgrade the rest of the team?

Particularly this season, where the backs are thin, so the difference between the top and middle backmen is lessened (~25pts) , the advantage gained by extra quality midfielders over rookies (~50pts) might be significant.

Time will tell...
    20. willy
      willy
      Backs - Gibson, H.Shaw, Newnes, Lumumba, N.Brown , Dalgleish, (McIntosh, A.Saad)

Mids - GAJ, Ducky, Pendles, Fyfe, Cripps, Watson, I.Heeney, NVB (Ellis Yolmen, J Anderson, Steele)

Rucks - Burger, Goldy (Cox)

Fwds - Bartel, Dusty, Swan, Clark, Salem, Hogan (Saad, Lambert)

Thoughts