Rate My Team 2016 - NAB edition

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 27, 2016.

By Jason on Feb 27, 2016 at 9:11 PM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

So we've had a chance to see something of each team through the first round of NAB challenge matches. Always remember to take pre-season form with grain of salt!

A bit of a worrying trend has emerged - we may have a lack of DEF and FWD rookies to choose from by the time round 1 rolls around. Fingers crossed that some decent cash cows on these lines present themselves! Some cause for concern for all those SC teams who have loaded up on expensive MID players, because that sort of team structure may not be sustainable with this few DEF or FWD rookies.

I'm not convinced that either Collins or Adams will be selected by the Western Bulldogs for R1. Would be great for all SC teams if they did, but not looking likely at this stage. Petracca still in cotton wool is also getting more doubtful for R1 by the day.

Here's my current SC team:
    Capture.JPG

I'm running Mills-free for now, because keeping him would mean downgrading one of my starting keepers to a mid-pricer and I'm not currently convinced on enough of the mid-price options to take that structure.

Probably plenty of changes yet to be made though, particularly as the cash cow situation becomes clearer. But I'm getting more and more comfortable with the starting keepers.

Just as a reminder, the ground rules for RMT are as follows:

1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work. :)

2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback, your post will be deleted.:mad:

3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule.:cool:

4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it. :eek:

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Jason
      Jason
      17/30 are a match for my current team.
    2. walesy
      walesy
      Ride the hypetrain!
    3. bunza52
      bunza52
      No real reason why I have Macaffer, just a bit of a filler at the moment until R1 rookies are named. Might need to reconsider Zerrett after watching the Don get flogged. I know he didnt play, but I think you are right, highly priced Don players might struggle to score this year. I've backed Eddie to win the coleman this year, so expected big things from him! More than likely wasted money, but one never knows....Thinking of ditching Ablett for Danger as well. If Gaz doesnt play this week, I think Danger will be in. Sinclair did enough on the weekend for me keep his spot.
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Nick
      Nick
      Nice team walesy, structure is right with a dash of mid priced, but not to the point of madness.
      I want to be convinced on Sheridan, but I'm not just yet. Want to try and avoid pre-season hype trains if I can, something hard to split them for legit improvers.
      I think Hall and Stringer in the same line is pretty risky, I'd go for someone more tried and true personally.
      I'm also not sure Parish is worth the coin and may start is scoring slowly. However rookies' JS this year may force our hands to the more expensive ones.

Are you - or anyone else for that matter - nervous about starting Gaz without seeing him once this preseason? It worries me, especially when I am neglecting others like Pendles or Priddis for him. Maybe I have forgotten how good he can be....in Gaz we trust?
    5. Nick
      Nick
      Oh and I think you are missing Danger - must have for me this year!
    6. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground
      Hi guys, will be waiting with baited breath to see what you think. Ignore the rookies cause we are all doing rookie selections on the last day but the structure is what im looking at. Thanks guys

Attached Files:

7. RPritch
      RPritch
      I like the Wells selection, because once he goes down I'll be one up on you already :p
      But in all seriousness I am unsure if all of Libba, M.Crouch, McKenzie and Wells is sustainable. I am backing Libba in as a relatively safe keeper so in my eyes you have 3 mid pricers and I'd be more comfortable with 2 other than Libba. However, I know why you have them as like me you have Fyfe, Danger and GAJ which blows a lot of budget.
      I like the Greene pick, but am not sold on Tippett myself
    8. RPritch
      RPritch
      My team now, become a bit different to any pre-season side I've had any year in structure:
      Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 7.38.43 am.png
    9. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground

Thanks RPritch. I think Wells, barring injury, could be top 5 fwds, but will be top 10 at least. Only concern is injury but you have to take some risks.

Libba will be a keeper so i have him in the Under Priced Premium bracket rather than Mid Pricer. He will be a M8 for the season and average 110ish.

Crouch means i can upgrade to another Premium within 5 weeks due to his cash level, so plan is by round 6 have at least 6 premium keeper Mids.

Agree on Tippet, but having him means i wont have to burn a trade if a ruckman goes down with a 1 week injury or gets suspended for a week or two. Keeping fingers crossed he is good to go.
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Owen
      Owen
      RPritch, your structure is very similar to mine - so I like it! The main difference is that I've got one extra mid pricer down back and one extra rookie up front. I also haven't got the two highest rucks, I can see why you've done that and I've toyed with that in a lot of my draft teams but just couldn't cough up that much money there myself.

I'm looking at possibly using Blicavs there with Gawn/Nicnat/Martin and if/when a premo ruck drops in price enough swinging Blicavs into the midfield and trading in the cheap premo. Then later in the season (when hopefully I've got a full team of premos) Blicavs can be M9 and be traded into R3 for cover if needed. Still tossing up this idea.
      • Like Like x 1
    11. walesy
      walesy
      Great looking team RPritch. If you get 3 rookies on the backline, and they pump out 70's- you're a long way towards winning this thing with that team I reckon.

Like the Duncan pick, not sure if he'll become a premium, but he's definitely a change to.

Not sure about the Zerrett effort though. Had Essendon a full team, I would have been a fan- But it's gunna be GWS/GCS 1st year styled drummings for the Dons this year. Not sure if that's the type of environment which breeds a premium.
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Grizzles
      Grizzles
      Just on Macaffer I'm not really sure why no one is that interested in him. Cheaper then mills and parish with better job security and a higher potential average.
    13. Jason
      Jason
      Disagree about the higher potential average. Think you'll find that is the key reason why most aren't especially interested in him.
      • Like Like x 2
    14. Jason
      Jason
      Your structure looks too thin in the backline. I doubt that Hibberd will get early games and I've not seen any indication that Ruggles is going to either.

Even if you do get 5 initial cheap DEF options who can support your structure, I am worried for you that there won't be enough downgrade options on this line when it comes to R7-10. History suggests that DEF rookies who debut mid-season are like hens teeth.
    15. walesy
      walesy
      With Thurlow our it opens both the position and spot in the list which Ruggles could slot into.

Also, you need to upgrade your defensive rookies- not downgrade them :p
      • Like Like x 1
    16. walesy
      walesy
      I see a Parish or Mills as being capable of an 80 average. Not sure I see Macaffer getting past 60.
      • Like Like x 1
    17. RPritch
      RPritch
      Understand where you're coming from Jason. I think there is potential in the backline rookies this year, you can't forget I have Tipungwuti in the forwardline who could go down there if needed which looks likely if I was to keep this structure. His hit on Danger was brilliant and looks composed with the ball too. However, it is likely that the teams come out and it becomes clear that I need an extra decent defender. I do want to incorporate Weitering as I believe he is the real deal to average 75-78 this year but couldn't fit him in in that side
    18. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground
      Like the structure Pritch but need another defender. Goldy to naitanui and Merrett down to Wells will give you enough for a defensive keeper and wells is a better option than any bomber, lol.

I am very bullish on Wells though, bear taht in mind.
    19. RPritch
      RPritch
      Pretty bullish on Wells no kidding! Sorry, but Wells could be top 5 fwds, top 10 at least is a ridiculous statement. 5th best forward will average about 102 and 10th about 95. Wells did average over 100 once, in 2011! He is 31 years old and is coming off two injury interrupted years, with 9 games between them and 2 in 2015. Sure he is or was a gun, but there is no reason or logic behind thinking he will do both of play minimum 20 games plus average 95+ this year. He may get through the year like Higgins last year and might average anywhere between 82-92 which, if done makes him one of the best picks at his price still, but you might be overrating him with your predictions. For me, I had him last year at about $300k mid only and he produced two games at 56.5. This preseason I said to myself, I hope he has a great preseason so more people are sucked in and then I will be one up on them once he goes down.
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Grizzles
      Grizzles
      After looking at his last few years on the old stats page I may have been misinformed haha! Was thinking he would average like 75 but that seems a stretch.
      • Like Like x 1