Rate My Team 2017

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 26, 2017.

By Jason on Feb 26, 2017 at 8:53 PM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

The TooSerious tradition that is Rate My Team (RMT) is back in 2017!

A quick refresher on the rules.

1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work. :)
    2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback, your post will be deleted. :mad:
    3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule. :cool:
    4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it. :eek:

Here's how my team looks as we approach the end of February:

Capture3.JPG

Find that value, search hard and follow your instincts!
    Or just tell me I'm dreaming and where I've gone wrong...

• Like Like x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 26, 2017.

1. leb3
      leb3
      All feedback on this outfit welcomed! Not sold on Sandi, just put him in for the first time then.
      Contingency plan if I get scared is to upgrade him to Grundy/S Martin and downgrade with Macrae or Nankervis to a rookie fwd

Attached Files:

2. RPritch
      RPritch
      Like the team. It's a bit different but I think it looks pretty solid. Leaving out Dangerfield could definitely work in your favour. I can't see Roughead average less than 95 for the season unless he breaks down so imo it's risky not having him, but I really don't mind the Nankervis option, especially since he can cover for your other risky selection in Sandilands. Ryder may be a more proven option than Nankervis as the Ruck/Fwd but I can see Nankervis average quite well this season, just not one that fits into my own team.
      • Like Like x 1
    3. RPritch
      RPritch
      I can't see the upside in the selection of either Marchbank or McCarthy, but if you can justify their selection then I take my hat off to you, because that won't be easy. I personally don't think that Murphy will do very well this season, I just don't think he is very good anymore, let alone elite. However, he is a more reasonable selection than McCarthy or Marchbank as there is a chance that he comes good out of nowhere. Your other selections seem very reasonable, you have obviously gone very mid priced, particularly in the midfield
    4. leb3
      leb3
      Dangerfield will come in at some stage that is for sure, hoping that he comes down to somewhere near 600k before i bring him in. Nankervis is there to cover Sandi if he gets injured and I know that they won't both turn into keepers, if Sandi rises to near the price of Goldstein then I would make that trade, or if Nankervis averages over 100+ then he can become my R2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Iain
      Iain
      Cheers mate, I actually do agree with you on some of that. Ended up taking out SMurph since it doesn't look like he'll get a pre-season game and bringing in Fyfe, out Hanners in Florent or similar and upgraded McCarthy to Buddy. Marchbank I'll hold on to as he was pretty impressive as a junior but I'm sure all my rookies and probably like half of my other players will still change by round 1.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Option 5 Option 5 x 1
    6. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      He will.
    7. pollypies
      pollypies
      @ TerryinBangkok C. Brown has glandular fever. Even when he is allowed back to training it will take him a while to regain match fitness. I have him in my sights as a downgrade option down the track.
    8. pollypies
      pollypies
      Focused on my work league (which is always near the top of leagues), not overall. Considering a risky strategy of starting a lot of discounted premium mids, in the hope of getting a start on other teams in my league and banking some early wins. Wondering if this is the year to do it with so many discounted premium mids (i.e. Beams, Murphy) and not a lot of stand out rookie mids.

Laird, Johannisen, Williams, Z, Murphy, Otten, Scharenberg, Hampton, Vickers-Willis

Danger, Fyfe, Heppell, Watson, Beams, Murphy, Swallow, Barrett, Hibberd, Powell-Pepper, Miles

Dahlhaus, Caddy, Wingard, Roughhead, Black, Eddy, Battle, Bolton

Gawn, Grundy, Cameron

Forward rookies need more work.

Too bold? Too risky?
    9. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Thanks. Poor lad (please don't tell him R1 will quickly fill that hole he was keeping warm).
    10. dabombers
      dabombers
      It's the season to be jolly, trallala la laa la la la laah....
      God I love pre-season. So much hope and wonder for the upcoming season.
      Rookies shining! Supercoach Studs taking it easy. And speculations, gosh do I love a good speculation.

@pollypies i think there is nothing wrong with a mid priced strategy this year with the amount of LTI players discounted eg. D.Swallow, JOM, Roughy etc. As well as some guys finding new homes or roles (stepping up for retired players) Tuohy, Horvat, JOM again!!
      The name of the game is risk/reward.
      Will a mid priced strategy generate enough cash to get full premo, probably not. But it could provide enough points with the right tattslotto numbers chosen!!

Not sure on both Watson and Heppell. Maybe pick just one!
      The same with both fwd/def. Caddy/Wingard and Johannisen/Murphy.
      These are risks. Especially when from the same teams.

OK. DaBombers team 2017!!
      Well so far!!
      DEF
      Laird, Hurley, Touhy, Mills, C.Hampton, Otten
      M.Hibberd, V-Wills.
      MID
      Fyfe, Libba, J.Kelly, Watson, JOM, D.Swallow, D.Sheed, W.Brodie
      POW-PEP, Barret, Wigg
      RUC
      Gawn, Goldy
      D.Cameron
      FWD
      J.Kennedy, Dahlhaus, Franklin, Petracca, Roughy, Taranto
      A.Black, Butler

Plan of attack - Go hard or Go Home!!
    11. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      @pollypies - I am a highly risk averse coach so would avoid so many players who didn't play much in 2016. That and fitting in so many "premos" means you will have to nail your rookies or burn early trades in order to generate enough fast cash.

No doubt JLT stats and Round 1 selections will mean shuffling rookies around a little.
    12. Kovanator1
      Kovanator1
      @pollypies - I agree that if there is any year to go midprice this may be the year (I've never been a fan of this strategy though, I've tried it a couple of times in the past with a second team and has never worked out as well as my first team). Also, not sure I'm a fan of having both Watson and Heppell in there (although I'll probably end up with one on them in my team).
      You strategy may get you some wins on the board early, but will your team appreciate enough in value to allow you to upgrade it to the team you need at finals time???
    13. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I normally don't look at starting to get serious about my team until I see the JLT stats at look at SC averages and TOG numbers in order to sort out my rookies then look at which premos I can squeeze in

For a bit of fun I have started off with the most expensive premos (with the exception of JJK downgraded slightly to Buddy for salary cap reasons) and a reasonably balanced structure of 3 premium defenders and 3 premium forwards, with rookie selections based on rookies who are named for JLT week 4 having played 2 games and averaging at least 55 with a variety of rookie price points filled.
      (ie all named on post 12 at http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/2017-jlt-pre-season-round-4-9-matches.89789/)

That team ends up as

DOCHERTY, SIMPSON, SHAW, Hampton, Otten, EVW (T Stewart, Melican)
      DANGER, PENDLES, ABLETT, JPK, HANNERS, Jaegarbomb, Brodie, Fox (SPP, Barratt, Parfitt FM)
      GAWN, Sandy (Preuss)
      NROO, DAHLHAUS FM, FRANKLIN, Taranto FM, Schoenmakers, Houston (Butler, Black)
      12-3-15 with $6,900 in the bank

Bringing in some value premiums and/or rebalancing the side by dropping a premo mid and replacing with a premo elsewhere should allow me to upgrade one of O'Meara, Sandy or Taranto to a premium making my team 13-2-15. From reading rate my team threads here and on other sites I expect a lot of teams will have 13-3-14, 13-4-13 or 14-2-14.

I am comfortable in bringing in rookies who have played 1 or 2 JLT matches instead of all 3, the main thing is getting players who get picked Round 1 in the team. For now I am avoiding a dpp floating donut or M11 floating donut but may well go with it for the first time.

Feedback on team structure and which of the premos to avoid would be great !
    14. Jason
      Jason
      Here's my best GnR team at the moment:

Capture4.JPG

O'Meara or Nankervis. That is the key decision for me. Could easily switcheroo back to Jaeger, but I also really like the R/F DPP link.
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Jason
      Jason
      13-3-14 is a my preferred structure, just like yours. I think it is looking like the way to go this year.

I am happy with Beams-Nankervis-Roughead whereas you have O'Meara-Sandy-Taranto with your extra cash going towards slightly higher-priced mid-premiums. Risks in both cases, but I believe the R/F DPP link is important to have.
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Jason
      Jason
      Plan B:

Going for an extra 2 mid-pricers (by taking out Franklin and Turner and replacing them with O'Meara and Petracca) has me with this team:

Capture5.JPG

I also have to downgrade Cameron to Strnadica to find a few extra $$$ and just scrape in.

Is this better than the GnR version?
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    17. Len
      Len
      Normally at this point everyone says disregard rookies, but tbh there are so few that GNR may not be the go to strategy this year.
      At least 8 of those chosen may not play R1. For me that's the big issue this year.

That said, I am not keen on Ablett but the rest all look like genuinely solid choices.

Be aware with Taranto he is no lock to play past the first few rounds, and even if he played every game to round 8 averaging 85 his value is around 370k, at that point Whitfield and Deledio are back and I don't think he keeps either out, Matt Kennedy has had at least as good a pre-season and will be pushing for the same spots.
      If you pick him you are banking on keeping him and him playing 15 to 20 games, becoming your bench guy. I am not confident he plays that many games but lack of viable options means I may end up naming him myself out of necessity.
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Jason
      Jason
      I generally like this team.

However, it is FWD heavy which means no DANGER. Do you think Dangerfield will slow down compared to his 2016 average? My biggest concern is your captain choice each week. If you are comfortable choosing between Gawn and Fyfe, all power to you. Better hope that Dangerfield doesn't go off early because the rest of the field will start to leave you behind if he does.
      • Like Like x 3
    19. Len
      Len
      It's riskier, but FWIW I like it better.
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Malteaser
      Malteaser
      you gotta pick him now.
      • Like Like x 1