Rookie midfield... (team included)

Discussion in 'AFL' started by obleex, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I admit also that Stanley and Lower were not the norm last year, players with AFL experience who were then able to be starting defenders in Impromptu's (and lots of other) teams.

2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Just on Webberley - from a richmond supporter - beware his JS. He isn't in our best 22, but might be in our best 25. On the fringes.

Ellis and Morris are in front of him in the line for a game right now.

Can't guarantee him a run of games, or even full games. He was our sub about 5 times last year. But the kid can play.

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Webberley will play more on a wing rather than in the backline I'd suspect. JS isn't great regardless which is a shame as he has better scoring potential than Morris.

4. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

and the Kid can kick.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Def and Mid rookies do seem plentiful right now.

But as mentioned the stdev of FWD prems is higher and so it is often easier to nab a fallen one, which makes it tempting to field one FWD rookie to grab that FWD prem you missed.

Could be Volt and Brown at F6/7. Who would've thunk it!

6. Lucas

Roo and JB at F6 and 7 does seem very powerful though. I think it would scare your opponents when they take a cursory glance at your side.

Also it appears to me that Goodes will be a POD if selected. Is this true?

7. chris88

I think you may be right Lucas. And if so, he would be a true POD - with real potential to match or better those of similar price (or more expensive)

And yes - Webberley is a damn good kick. If he plays he is definitely a winger. I'd like to see him entrenched in our best 22 to be honest, but it may not happen.

8. Lucas

Also just looking around and the Porpoise will be back this week. Surely he'd be the nice F7 to take a risk on.

JB and Roo could be the nice midprice Forwards, then you only need 4 prems, one of which I think could be Goodes.

Something like:
    Franklin (13), Goodes (12), Beams (12), Martin (13), N Riewoldt (13), J Brown (11), Porplyzia (11)

Add 2 rookies and that's a 401k average.

9. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Here's a quick team I came up with showcasing a stacked forward line and premium ruck combo whilst keeping 3 prems in the mids. Bate could easily become Porps and Riewoldt upgraded to a truer premium. Clarke and Bower could equate to the Lower/Stanley combo of experienced AFL players from last season (even more experienced to be truthful), Ellis a potential Heppell and either a Darley or Webberley rounding it off. No DPP or byes taken into much consideration however.

DEF: B. Goddard, B. Deledio, H. Shaw, M. Clarke, P. Bower, B. Ellis, J. Webberley (S. Darley, L. Brown)
    MID: G. Ablett jnr, M. Murphy, J. Selwood, S. Gibson, J. Magner, J. McDonald (T. Ledger, L. Neale)
    RUC: D. Cox, A. Sandilands (J. Giles, O. Stephenson)
    FWD: L. Franklin, M. Pavlich, D. Martin, D. Zaharakis, N. Riewoldt, J. Brown, M. Bate (C. Dell'Olio, T. Couch)
    CASH LEFT: $7,800

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

My forward line is similar to that Lucas.

With a 3/0/5 mids my fwd line reads:

Franklin - Fyfe - Martin - Steele - Roo - Brown - Porps

It does look menacing. More pure fwds than I thought I'd put in. Fyfe and Goodes could swap. Maybe.

11. chris88

Porps at F7 - in this context especially - definitely worth the risk

12. Lucas

Ant
    I reckon you could do a lot worse than that as a starting team, fully realising that we are a few weeks away from the start of the year and a few tweaks will be needed. Around byes etc.

I'd probably suggest a less aggressive RUC division and one extra DEF prem, and that's only because Giles and Stephenson look good enough to offer great (if tag-team) coverage.

Chris
    I'd even consider Porps as an F6 if there were decent enough other forward options. Depends on how things roll in the next couple of weeks.

13. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

I also think Josh Kennedy of WCE is definetly an option for that 4th or 5th fwd position. Be plenty of the ball down there & he can go on multiple goal scoring sprees. Younger & fitter(?) than Brown & Roo maybe.

14. simong

simong New Member

I like Cripps in R7, with Dawson, Gwilt, Baker all not there, I do see room in the 22 for Cripps.

15. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Cripps is easily best 22. Its the midfielders like Ross, Ledger that will struggle to squeeze in if we perform early as they wont kick Dal, Joey, BJ etc out of the side!

16. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

After having the day off and really getting stuck in to all things SC, I too am of the opinion that there are very few solid fwd rookie choices and a plethora of def and mid rookie choices.

My starting line up as of today reads like this...

DEF: Goddard, Scotland, Deledio, Birchall, Howard, Bower, Darley (Clarke, Morris)
    MID: Ablett, Murphy, Selwood, J.MacDonald, Ross, Gibson (Shiel, Magner)
    RUCK: Jacobs, Kreuzer (Giles, Orren)
    FWD: Franklin, Martin, Zaharakis, N.Riewoldt, Brown, Bate, Porplyzia (Weedon, T.Walsh)

Left with $116,000

I feel as a starting lineup, and all things considered, it's not bad.

Apart from someone doing a bolter, or injuries, from the fwds, I'd say it's well set and my attention would obviously turn to upgrading some of these rookie mids and defenders.

Thoughts?

17. lezyeoh

lezyeoh New Member

FixEmUp, although still early in NAB, Walsh didn't really impress that much in his first games.
    Shiel is injured currently.
    Other than very solid IMO.

18. Dino

Dino New Member

Not to bad FixEmUp. Just keep in mind Saints, Blues, Tigers and Hawks have the rd 13 bye so your backs will take a hammering.

19. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

But that only affects overall scores yeah? League games aren't affected similar to last year when some rounds had three teams with a bye?

Didn't know about Shiel being injured, but as has been discussed at length today, there is a plethora of mid rookie options.

Thats just a rough start.

20. Dino

Dino New Member

"Head-to-Head leagues have increased to 18 teams per league. The league competitions start from Round 3 and run through to Rounds 19. Each team plays every other once, playing through uninterrupted and including rounds 11-13. League finals will be played in Rounds 20-23."

Just read that in the help section.

So am I right in assuming the bye rounds will affect us even if just going for league games?