Round 1 Captain

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Stew, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Stew

Stew New Member

Goodbye Gary...
    It may be a little early, but with all the pre team announcements and squad re-arranging, you may forget to think about you round one skipper. Especially now that the perma-captain of the last few years may not be on your list for a little while...

A few options;

*Permacaptains*
    Swan- Averages 116 against Port. Last two scores 166 and 127. Pies at home, could be a big win.

Goddard- Only averages 102 against the Cats, and coming off some variable form. Scored 127 against Geelong last meeting, which was at the MCG, where this is being played.

Judd- Averages 127 against the Tigers, with a big 146 last meeting. Averaged 117 at the G last year from 6 games.

*Smokey*
    Cox- A fully fit Dean Cox at home against a injury hit Roos bigman department.

2. Corks

Corks Member

Good stuff Stew - great stats. You've nailed it for me...Judd VC, then if <130, Swan captain, if 130+, D Swallow gets to Captain.

3. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

ya... remember the old rolling lockout trick with captain and vice captain.

Especially with players like Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Lids? in the early game

4. Fez

Fez Moderator

Judd vice and it does well swallow cap or else it'll b pendles

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Swan looks like he will be perma-captain for most of the year for me.

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Judd VC a certainty for this week I'd think.

Mind you anything less than 140 and I still think Swan is a chance. Bird in the hand or two in the bush?

7. Migs

Migs New Member

I'm tossing up between Dane Swan, Buddy and....Leon Davis. Normally I’d go Swan but his first game for the pre-season was the NAB GF and I don't think he's cheery ripe yet. Then there's Buddy who should be too good for Phil Davis and anyone else who the Crows put on him but on the other hand it is at Footy Park and if the Crows win Buddy may not get enough of it. As for Davis although it sounds like a funny one he was on fire in the NAB Comp, he loves the dry conditions of the Dome and the Pies should crush Port. So I really could see him racking up over 30 touches off half back as well as laying a few good tackles.. The only thing that worries me is that he's been named on the bench but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll start there.

8. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

There's a nice little summary of Captain choices on the home page.

9. spud

spud New Member

With the exception of Gibbs, I can't imagine too many people would be keeping any other scores as captain? Even with a 133, given Swan is playing against Port, it could be difficult not to make Swanny captain.

My VC wasn't good enough tonight, so someone else it shall have to be :)

10. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

lmao are you serious? you have leon davis in your team? lmao that's enough to laugh about by itself! let alone make him captain! bahaha lol i hope you do though, one less person to worry about that 50k

11. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

hey! and next week you can go with Gamble as cap't! then why not try Jack Darling?

12. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I had Deledio as VC last night. Swan has just been made captain, perhaps permanently?

13. Budgie

Budgie New Member

Is anyone else keeping Gibb's as captain (those who made him VC last night)? I've seen worse captain scroes...

14. Gibbs stays in for mine

15. darren

darren New Member

I know this loophole thing has been flogged to death, but I can't find a definitive answer on something.

I had Gibbs as VC and I want to double his score. I understand that I could make a GC player my captain and stick Swan on my bench as an emergency, that way Swan's score counts and Gibbs gets promoted to captain.

The risk with this concept is that another of my midfielders is a late withdrawal and I don't have another emergency in that line, thereofre I cop a donut.

So my question is what happens if I simply don't name a captain? Will my VC's score default to captain?

16. Zander

Zander Moderator

I don't think it works Darren... I had Gibbs as VC last night. I have tried trading out Swan putting him on the bench, everything.
    If I put Swan on the bench, the Captaincy moves to my worst midfielder, if I then move it elsewhere and bring Swan back on the ground the Captaincy automatically goes back to Swan. I think theres no way around it. Swan is my captain...

17. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

I have Gibbs as VC as well... The only way I can see it working is making a GC player C then using one of your bench players as an emergency so you don't score 0... My only worry is that the emergency will become my Captain...

18. darren

darren New Member

Thanks Zander, you'll be laughing if Swan outscores Gibbs!

My situation is slightly different because I didn't actually name a captain before the Carlton/Richmond game, I only name a vice captain.

After lockout tonight if a captain isn't named but a vice captain is named - does the vice captain's score get doubled? Or do you forfeit the right to have a captain because one wasn't named?

19. @ Migs

Davis didn't train today and "is battling illness".
    I'd steer clear chief

20. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@lucas

Two in the bush.