Round 1 Rookies

Discussion in 'AFL' started by kalikoda, Mar 2, 2011.

1. fryzie

fryzie New Member

Bob, with all due respect I'm going to belt out a quick list for you.

Brendan Fevola
    Andrew Raines
    Amon Buchanan
    Xavier Clarke

Since Vossy took the reins at the Gabba, Brisbane don't know what the hell they're doing recruitment wise. Not all mature age rookies are going to be Michael Barlow.

2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

The best thing to do is pick the rookies who you think will get a game not necessarily in Rd 1, but throughout the year.

Certainly, if you wish to take a chance on a round 1 smokie - Batchelor perhaps - do so. But you run the risk of Reltoning yourself.

Unless of course Batchelor does the job - I think he will personally.

And always, always, have 2 trades locked and ready to use before a rookie's third game in case you have made a mistake. Don't be so stubborn as to stick with a loser when another Pods or Rockliff waltzes in to score 100+.

Use your trades wisely, and that includes having a couple for pre Round 3/third game mistakes.

3. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@chris88

Nice to hear a Tiges supporter talking up Batchelor's chances. I've had him in my side for weeks now, but was starting to get cold feet. There hasn't been too much talk about him thus far.

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Batchelor is in my team as well. Could you tell me any more about him Chris?

And FWIW, I Reltoned myself last year and refuse to repeat that, however I don't think Bewick is Reltonesque.

5. Bob

Bob New Member

@fryzie - I never said Bewick's going to be a Barlow, but if healthy he'll play - just like Buchanan and Raines. But hey, don't take my word for it - it makes no difference to me - I'm just sharing what I know. But just finally, I'd have a look at Graeme Hadley's hit-rate since taking over recruitment @ the Lions, particularly with WA and SA recruits (his old stomping ground).

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Batchelor isn't in my side, just think he's not quite at the pointy end of scoring. He should get games which is half the issue, but he needs to score unless you are looking for a "Mitch Brown"/"Gumbleton" role from him this year.

7. chris88

Lucas - I think that is a decent assessment of Batchelor.

I would say that he isn't going to score you 100s. 40s-80s I'd think, but at the moment guessing scores is a little like playing darts blindfolded.

He's about 6 foot 2 or so in the old scale (188-189cm) and a shade over 80 kilograms.

He probably wasn't on a lot of radars early doors, but he's impressed in the off season and in the trial games.

He is projected as a running half-back type. This means he faces competition for his spot from Connors and Lids. But given they want to play Connors on the wing, he probably has a spot in the side for now ... the guys competing against him would be Dylan Grimes for example.

Kel Moore isn't playing in Round 1, but he is a key back so I don't think his absence/return would automatically impact on Batchelor.

He plays taller than what he is, but he was drafted for his good disposal, particularly his kicking.

My feelings are that he'd be a steady rather than spectacular scorer, but that he's worth a look in an SC team where you have a settled top 4-5 defenders and a smattering of good quality rookie types - guys like Lower perhaps, or Duigan, or others that might actually score a little higher to start with.

You need your slow and steady cash cows at times - not only to make money for you, but to fill a gap if needed in your team.

Batchelor seems likely to play Round 1. If he doesn't it may be reason to think about a change, but might also just mean he'll come in in a couple of rounds time.

8. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Chris88 - that is a perfect and useful summary of Batchelor. If only we had the same for each of the rookies on everyone's list. I traded out Heppell to get in Batchelor and some cash to upgrade a mid rookie to Swallow. He should play exactly the role you have described, and given Richmond's first bye is roudn 11, he will have plenty of time to get games in prior to a cull.

9. chris88

Tigerman - I seem to have the opposite problem, $120K left over and nothing obvious to spend it on ... I've spent today wracking my brains trying to find a way to spend the money but I'm struggling!

One option is to bring Conca in for Bewick, but I'm leery as a Tiger fan of what sort of run he'll get given we actually seem to have something resembling a midfield this year.

My other option is to upgrade Mitch Duncan or Andy Otten, but there's not alot at the prices ($120K above 280K or 180K)that I like.

Still have time to think though.

But back to Batchelor - thanks for the kind words. I like the guy and hope he does well.

10. spud

spud New Member

Not loving Craigs assessment of Otten (and Stevens) being the perfect subs.

Anyone have any thoughts on Otten? We know he will play, but at 180k we would want more than half a game out of him as ~40-50 won't cut it.

Granted Neil was simply identifying two players he thought would be the ideal subs, rather than suggesting that is who will take on the role. But it's a tad concerning.

<blockquote>ADELAIDE coach Neil Craig has identified defender Andy Otten and utility Scott Stevens as two players perfectly suited to the new substitute role.</blockquote>

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/109752/default.aspx

11. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

If Andy Otten is played as a sub it will once and for all prove that Neil Craig has got no idea. IMO Otten is a definite in the starting 21. He will either play on the half back flank or on the ball. He is type of player the Crows need, a link man between defence and the midfield.

12. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

@Chris88 - there's your answer. Otten is the crows sub! Upgrade time.
    But seriously, I'll be waiting to see the team lists before Otten gets the boot. Actually, does anyone know if the team list will name the player who is the designated sub???

13. Bob

Bob New Member

@Tigerman - subs are named 90 mins before the bounce.

14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I dont think waiting for the team lists will help Tigerman, if Otten is named on the bench or on the field I don't think it will matter. He's been flagged as a potential sub already - for me that is alarm bells.
    Especially with the depth of def rookies.

15. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

I would think Otten is definitely in the Crows best 21, I dont know if you can take Craigs comments to mean 'he is going to play sub' he was merely reflecting on the qualities of a good sub being an allrounder like Ottens.

I wont be dropping him out of my sqaud he is one of the Crows most talented young players and WILL get game time.

16. Steps

Steps New Member

Im stuck in a bind for my last rookie fwd. Currently have V.Mitchie there however not much has been said about him for a while. Am now considering Darling or Tapscott. Im a Dee supporter and cant see tapscott getting an early start which leave mitchie and darling.

Fwd line looks like this (goodes in mid)
    Pav, Roo,Higgins, duncan, krakouer, richardson, frankling (Matera, Kernahan, ??)

Who comes in??

17. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

@Steps
    Best wait until 5:30pm tomorrow to answer that question. Off the top, Dixon from GCS is a reasonably likely choice.

18. naj

naj New Member

to add to the otten debate, im sticking to my guns and keeping otten. i agree with the points everyone else is saying regarding his place in the team.

19. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

Anyone now how much game time a sub will be expected to get or want to take a guess? Can Otten still get 50ppg as a sub if he plays through the mid for a half? Or am I just dreaming?

20. The_General

The_General Member

Dreaming I think CJ. More likely for 30-35ppg if only playing one half.