Round 10 Trades

Discussion in 'AFL' started by crew, May 22, 2011.

1. homerj

homerj Member

@skionkop - If you want to get Tippett I would wait until after his bye in rd 11. Then you could do Milera (who has rd 13 bye) to Tippett and avoid a potential donut. With Tippett he can go big but Walker also coming back into team after suspension may also affect scores. Tippett can be like most key forwards, either hot or cold.

@sil1580sx - Yep was looking at Pyke's stats yesterday, averaging over 100. If you are lucky enough to have Giles in ruck 3 I personally would downgrade to make $$$. The only thing with Pyke is when Mumford returns he might be dropped. Dunno where Mumford's injury at at the moment, was meant to be 4 weeks on the sidelines but it seems to have already been longer than that! Might want to check injury update sites before making the jump to make sure Mumford won't be back during the byes.

2. Spionkop

Spionkop New Member

Mummy is a chance to be back this week, so I don't think Pyke is a good option for the bye rounds.

3. Muttley

Muttley New Member

@AngryAnt - I think either of Dal or Cotchin will be fine, sure they'll be a few points in it either way, but both will give value. FWIW, I put Dal in last week, purely financial the difference for me, Dal was cheaper so in he went.

I'm thinking Porps to Petrie, got the cash difference in the bank, the tree might have run into some form and I doubt he'll be as cheap again. Not sure though, Porps has been ok, scored his price, so no complaints here.

4. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Mumford has been on the 'test' or 'available' status each week for the past 5 rounds. Stay away from any player with a back problem. Ever heard of Gumbleton? Different circumstances, however I would never put my faith in a player like Mumford.

But I guess you can do what you like, bit of a hypocrite since I have Dempsey, Waters and Hmac in my team haha

Wait til Thursday's teams!

RE: Clarke - he has done his dash, consider him moo'd. With a BE of 98 he would have to pull a massive 110+ score against the Suns to put him back into any sort of cash-earning territory. I downgraded him to Darley this week and used the cash to turn Milera into Sidey.

RE: Porpoise - he has also moo'd, however he won't lose much/if any value if you hold him for another week or two, due to his BE which I have since forgotten, I know its in the 60s which is slightly below his average. If you have another fwd who is under more risk of losing value...ditch them instead.

5. Hellraisers

Hellraisers New Member

Good Analysis H_Dons, but the problem in the coming weeks isn't that there are plenty of cows who have mooed, it's that there's slim pickings on who to downgrade to! Upgrading is easy if you have the cash, but if not it might be better to hold onto these guys through the byes and wait for decent options like Couch and Patton to come along.

6. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

Am I crazy for considering McQualter?

Here's my thinking. The rookies are crap this round, Darley is the best but is a significant sub/omission risk. McQualter has played two games in a poor side after being elevated from the rookie list. He is an experienced player who couldn't break in at his previous club. With Swallow out for several weeks and the Suns searching for their first win, McQualter will likely get lots of midfield time and a lot more ball than he got at the Saints. He was in the top 3 Suns last week in MVP votes. Of the bubble-boys this week, he is projected to make more money than all except Pyke.

My plan is to trade A Hall (who is doing nothing) for McQualter which will lose me $68k but i don't really consider that lost because I am treating McQualter as a cash cow. If McQualter averages 80 for the next few weeks he can gain 100k by his bye. Then I can upgrade him to a true premium for only $200k more.

So for two trades i gain 80 points for two rounds over the byes by having McQualter playing (instead of Hall not playing). I also save 100k and bring in a premium.

The alternative would be to hold Hall, hope he plays during the byes and then upgrade him for $350+k at his bye if he doesn't.

So i see it as 1 trade vs 160 points + 100k.

Of course if Hall plays or McQualter gets dropped or starts spudding up then it will end in tears.

Thoughts?

7. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

I went Ellis to Yeo after moving Lids back to my def and then did Magner for Hayes. But am thinking i should have gone NDS instead? Thoughts?

8. herb

herb New Member

Am playing for leagues only. Tell me if this is crazy. Have 16 trades left and 450 k. My midfield is ablett selwood Thompson swan dap santo with McDonald horsely and zorko. Was going to bring in pendles this week which completes my midfield . Am I wrong to want to also bring in priddis when he is dirt cheap. This wud mean have a gun on bench for rest of year to cover any injuries and rests.

9. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

I'm in the somewhat fortunate position of slaughtering a few cows over the last few weeks, so sitting with 592k in the bank.

Only going for league wins, so waiting for the bye rounds to play themselves out... it is doing my head in but I think I might just munch some round 11 :donut:

Just need the Big O to play Round 11 so I can pear him up with either Ryder or Maric (haven't decided who I am bringing in yet

Ryder or Maric in for Redden (unless he plays) Round 11
    Beau Waters in for Ellis in Round 12
    Priddis to Greene Round 12

Then I have 8 trades for the run home and a team with two upgrades to go :)

10. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Spend it all Bandit!!! I enjoyed that nice little win in the Group W.

11. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on May 29, 2012, 17:47
    Spend it all Bandit!!! I enjoyed that nice little win in the Group W.</blockquote>

Ahh yes TiB... maybe you did, but it is early in the season and I am quite comfortable sitting in 3rd.

And to take the first loss for the season against the Whiners is never a bad thing... just let them get ahead of themselves Richmond style!

12. Chicko

Chicko New Member

I've gone Porps to Dangermouse this week. Deliberating on Morris to Darley. I think Morris has mooed but worried about Darley JS. I have Smedts and Spurr as bench cover...

Thoughts?

13. donatello

donatello New Member

yt, need to know what your balance is leading up to the byes. No point bringing in a player who will cost a donut in the next 2 to 4 weeks.

14. McCrabb

McCrabb New Member

I'm considering Darley this week. GWS tend to swing the subs around a bit, and it's not all that likely Darley will wear the vest this round. He'll either get dropped or play a full game, and I doubt he'll get dropped. He had a big quarter - it's not so clear with the SC score, but it was something like 7 possessions and a couple of tackles. He's obviously a bit of a ball magnet.

My general feeling with cash cows is not to worry about the short term price movements, just get rid of them once they pass 300K. If they're averaging better than 80 they might be worth keeping, but if not, they're not going to make you more than about that much. Mohr's hit that point, so I may well dump him for Darley.

My issue this week is that I'm getting Dal Santo, but I don't know who to upgrade for him. I have D Smith, McDonald, Milera (with a bit of midfield switching) and A Kennedy. Kennedy's the weakest of them, but if I trade him up I drain my bank almost entirely. I'd like to keep my bench strong if possible - but then I also have Zorko and Horsley so maybe it's not so crucial. As usual, I'll wait till the teams are announced, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

15. PrimeMinisterHird

PrimeMinisterHird New Member

<blockquote>Quote from H_Dons on May 29, 2012, 15:29
    Mumford has been on the 'test' or 'available' status each week for the past 5 rounds. Stay away from any player with a back problem. Ever heard of Gumbleton?

</blockquote>

As far as I'm aware, Gumby's injury is totally different from Mummy's. Mummy got a once off, freaky infection after an injection didn't he? Gumby has had chronic, ongoing spine and muscle issues. I reckon Mummy's chances are in a whole other category from Gumby's!

16. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I'm also considering McQualter this week. At &#36;240K am I utterly crazy to be doing so?

17. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

I have noticed above a few comments regarding "lack of rookies". I agree that pickings seem slim, but unless you are short on trades or are sittign pretty in your league you shoudl be upgrading fairly hard in the next 3-4 weeks. JUst get teh best of what's around without stressign too much.

Don't worry too much if your "NEW" rookies don't work out so well in the long term - after (hopefully) playing two games for you in the byes they can go back to beign benchwarmers and occasional cover for your mostly upgraded team.

A few decent rookies will no doubt emerge but don't discount someone just becuase their first few games are subaffected. An example is Locky Neale - had great preseoasn but got injured then 27 & 21 first up but has averged 58ppg over the next 4 games. If Skinner from WB (rd11 bye) spits out 2 decent scores (ie 50 plus) in rd 10 and rd 12 I will be having a decent look at him even though I don't particularly rate him. Similarly if he gets a BIG score in rd 10 then he may be worth lookign at in Rd12.

While I think McQualter is too expensive for my liking I am prepared to pay a slight premium for someone like Brown (NM) if he does OK this week and then is named for Rd 12.

18. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from TheTassieHawk on May 30, 2012, 14:33
    I have noticed above a few comments regarding "lack of rookies". I agree that pickings seem slim, but unless you are short on trades or are sittign pretty in your league you shoudl be upgrading fairly hard in the next 3-4 weeks. JUst get teh best of what's around without stressign too much.

Don't worry too much if your "NEW" rookies don't work out so well in the long term - after (hopefully) playing two games for you in the byes they can go back to beign benchwarmers and occasional cover for your mostly upgraded team.

A few decent rookies will no doubt emerge but don't discount someone just becuase their first few games are subaffected. An example is Locky Neale - had great preseoasn but got injured then 27 & 21 first up but has averged 58ppg over the next 4 games. If Skinner from WB (rd11 bye) spits out 2 decent scores (ie 50 plus) in rd 10 and rd 12 I will be having a decent look at him even though I don't particularly rate him. Similarly if he gets a BIG score in rd 10 then he may be worth lookign at in Rd12.

While I think McQualter is too expensive for my liking I am prepared to pay a slight premium for someone like Brown (NM) if he does OK this week and then is named for Rd 12. </blockquote>

Again using my team as an example I have 17 trades left with 15 rookies.

I am planning to go 8down/6up due to some planned sideways trading in the byes and expect to have Redden remaining as my R4 and 3 trades in hand for injuries/etc.

The 8 rookies I bring in would only be expected to be D7/D8 or M6/M7 or F7/F8 at best.

If my strike rate for the 8 downgardes is 3/8 decent players or better I will be stoked - the other 5 will most likely only play a few games as cover (hopefully they go well those weeks!) and are very unlikely to be traded out so don't have to gain big &#36;&#36;&#36;&#36;'s.

19. traviso

traviso Active Member

The 8 rookies you pick you would hope they would actually play though. I think that this will be the problem. Not many players at rookies prices be that on the bubble or otherwise that will consistently play for the rest of the season.

20. traviso

traviso Active Member

pick someone more expensive who will play and you don't make as much money for your bye upgrades.