Round 16 Captains

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Sainter, Jul 5, 2011.

1. whips

whips New Member

The following was posted a couple of weeks ago and hasn't been updated from Rd 13:
    I did some research on how some of the past few year's perma-captains have backed-up from 140+ scores. Stats relate to 2009-11 Round 13:
    Boyd (Scored 140+ 6 times, backed up with 111 average) Ablett (21 times, 134 ave)
    Swan (16 times 126 ave)
    Judd (12 times, 102 ave)
    Goddard (11 times, 136 ave)
    Sandilands (6 times 114 ave)

All players seem to revert to their longer term averages after playing a blinder.
    Sainter, beware of Judd. Stats can lie!! Depends which stats you want to read and trust.

2. Sainter

Sainter New Member

I don't think that Picken can keep Judd that quiet, and if he does, when judd gets it he'll get clearance, I50, score chains, contested ball.......I'm giving Goddard the Captaincy this week regardless, I'm taking my own ideas because everytime i look at Captains Choice By The Numbers or look at some massive stats I change my mind and it stuffs up, had Goddard as VC to make it worse last week.

3. KissKiss

KissKiss New Member

its against the rule of never giving it to a key forward, but if buddy plays against the lions down in tassie he could kick a bag. Shultz kicked 7.3 on patful last week.

Its a bit of a gamble for those so inclined

4. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@KissKiss
    Lance Franklin is likely to miss.

Think I'll add in some Ruckmen (over 370k) scores coming off the bye this year, Dean Cox as captain related.

Dean Cox = 131 points After R5 Bye
    Aaron Sandilands = 162 points After R6 Bye
    Todd Goldstein = 85 points After R3 Bye
    Ben McEvoy = 85 & 141 points After R4/14 Byes
    Drew Petrie = 61 points After R3 Bye
    Shane Mumford = 159 points After R5 Bye
    Mark Jamar = 93 points After R5 Bye
    Brad Ottens = 57 points After R6 Bye
    Matthew Leuenberger = 69 points After R4 Bye
    Nic Naitanui = 50 points After R5 Bye
    Zac Smith = 84 & 114 points After R1/9 Byes
    Darren Jolly = 114 points After R14 Bye

This year Ruckmen over $370,000 have a combined average of 100 points coming off the bye from 12 ruckmen & 14 byes (total of 1405 points).
    Dean Cox scored 131 last time he came off a bye, and it wasn't as if he versed an easy opponent, it was Mark Jamar (at Patersons), this match is also at Patersons (V Geelong, Brad Ottens) so he may be able to do the same. Main point is that ruckmen score well coming off the byes. So Dean cox would definitely be an option if you don't have Gary Ablett too.

5. AndrewY

AndrewY New Member

Swannie v/s Kangaroos. Will be a breakout game for him.

6. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Both Swanny and Pendles played blinders when these two sides met earlier in the year! From memory i think both had over 35 touches each and scored 140 plus? Both these guys are capable of doing it again. Add to that the fact Goodesy and ROK are playing the Suns, Cox is at home after a rest, Abletts in ripping form, Judd is in very good form and against a side he loves to play and it goes on and on. The joys of having teams full of stars i guess!

7. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Pendles got 160-165, Swan 150-155 when they played North Melbourne earlier this year. Ablett is in ripping form, has also averaged 170ppg V Sydney Swans since '07, so he's in form this year and from recent years too against the Swans who he plays this week. I won't have a full side, but with ROk/Goodes playing GC, Judd in great form + great form V Bulldogs over his whole career, Dean Cox @Patersons (134ppg there this year), Swan V NM, McEvoy in awesome form + versing Lobbe in the ruck (should have a good day), I expect Roo, Goddard, Montags & Fisher to play solid if not great games. Just a couple from my side. Not happy I don't have Gazza. But even with my 1-3 dough-nuts I think I may get a respectable score.

8. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Yeah some big name players are looking like turning it on this weekend. I wouldnt be suprised if some big scores are still churned out this week. I'll only be missing Fyfe and Mzungu with the bye plus Rioli injured but will still more than likely score a zero unless Richardson plays. It will be a tough week to decide who to chuck the (C) on, even if you have Ablett

9. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

Who's on school holidays and has time to burn I wonder?

Thanks for your efforts Sainter.

10. 82asch

82asch New Member

Brad Scott said in the paper today that they don't like to tag more than one. For me that means Swan could run free all day and rack up 40 disposals. After that I am looking at one of Hodge or Mitchell.

If had Ablett would just leave the c on him though. I think I will have him as first pick next year just so I don't have to worry about choosing a captain each week.

11. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

G.Ablett v Syd last 5 games (2008-10). Ave. 35 pos, 2.4 goals and 5 tackles a game + has 14/15 brownlow votes.

Lock him in Eddie :p

12. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

@82asch

B.Scott said they dont like to put a HARD tag on more than one opponent a game, that doesn't mean Swanny won't get some sort of attention. He is moving quite well since coming back from the states and i personally expect the North tagger to pick up Pendlebury or Daisy, leaving Swan to be monitored at contests by a mid but not followed around the ground every step of the way. If Swan is cutting North to ribbons early you could expect the tag to be moved onto him. If not, Swanny should pick up 30 plus again and hopefully use the ball abit better this week and score 120 plus

13. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Ben McEvoy locked in for me
    Looking at his season so far for wins/losses/draws effecting his scoring

McEvoy average when St Kilda wins
    85, 103, 121, 141 = Average of 112
    McEvoy average when St Kilda draw
    113 = Average of 113
    McEvoy average when St Kilda lose
    100, 72, 78, 98, 73, 142, 135 = Average of 99'

Best out-come would be a St Kilda win (for my Captain and the Saints ;) )

Only munching 1 :donuts: this week.
    Cárn McEvoy & St Kilda!!!