Round 6 Carnage? - SC Top 10

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Kel, May 3, 2013.

1. Kel

Kel Moderator

Given all the doom and gloom surrounding the carnage this week I have just done a review of the current Top 10 SC Teams and what situation they are in leading into Round 6. The one thing you can guarantee is that there will be a lot of trading going on this week. Rucks and Forwards are generally fine with most having a full compliment available although one team does have Rioli to deal with. Mids they should also be okay althoughFyfe is in 6 teams. Only one team will be sweating on the inclusion of Evans as the others all have cover and will be able to bench Fyfe. In defense, all but one have Gibbs and 5 of them have the double whammy Gibbs/Heppell combo. Goodes is in all 10 teams,Pittard in 8, Heppell in 6 Hutchins in 3 and Docherty in 1. So in summary, barring late withdrawls they will all be able to trade and avoid a 0. 5 will have to double trade and 5 will have to make at least one trade. What I think will be interesting is what tack each of these teams take. With no rookies on the bubble you would assume that there will be a lot of sideways trading. PersonallyI have Gibbs, Goodes and Pittard. At this stage I have gone Gibbs to Dixon, leaving the rookies to hopefully come back and make money over the coming weeks, as well as maximising the on field dollars.

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Daring move Kel. There remains a bit of a cloud over just how long Gibbs will be out (and Hep). Hope Charlie keeps his good run. I think most of us started the year out having reached the conclusion that DEF was the most likely candidate for fattening rookies. It seems to some extent we have been caught out on this. However, I would suggest that it is short, perhaps 1-2 weeks pain. Since my season has largely been built around income from DEF rooks, I am not prepared to toss the baby out with the bathwater and have decided to ride out the short-term pain, sticking to my original plan. BTW, I have 5 outs in DEF - so any amount of trading would still leave me sucking a nut. I have seen some normally astute coaches trading out Goodes to minimize the DEF problem. Is this a product of having extra trades? Goodes has yet to fatten fully and also shows high potential for being a keeper. Rather than view it as how big a slide down the ladder, or how many league games lost (remembering most are in the same boat), I tend to look at it as $ lost if you do not proceed with your trades as originally planned by being diverted into fire fighting. Time will tell I guess.

3. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    Daring move Kel. There remains a bit of a cloud over just how long Gibbs will be out (and Hep). Hope Charlie keeps his good run. I think most of us started the year out having reached the conclusion that DEF was the most likely candidate for fattening rookies. It seems to some extent we have been caught out on this. However, I would suggest that it is short, perhaps 1-2 weeks pain. Since my season has largely been built around income from DEF rooks, I am not prepared to toss the baby out with the bathwater and have decided to ride out the short-term pain, sticking to my original plan. BTW, I have 5 outs in DEF - so any amount of trading would still leave me sucking a nut. I have seen some normally astute coaches trading out Goodes to minimize the DEF problem. Is this a product of having extra trades? Goodes has yet to fatten fully and also shows high potential for being a keeper. Rather than view it as how big a slide down the ladder, or how many league games lost (remembering most are in the same boat), I tend to look at it as $ lost if you do not proceed with your trades as originally planned by being diverted into fire fighting. Time will tell I guess. Couldn't agree more. As much as Dixon will likely end up a top 'defender', I'm still not sold. The teams he has played (Sydney were underdone) don't fill me with confidence. I remain skeptical. Ditto on Goodes. Why would you trade out a rookie who has risen 200k and is averaging 94? He will make you another 100k and yes, could be a permanent D6 or D7 if you fully upgrade your team. I have Gibbs, Heppell, Pittard and obviously Goodes, so I have a few problems. Coupled with Fyfe, Crouch, and an Evans (who I didn't want, but had to get) on the extended bench, I've got problems. And at 526 points behind the leader, I can't afford to have a donut. Evans simply must play. Otherwise I must rely on late changes before tomorrow's games, and make my trades at the last minute.

4. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

What are your teams looking like on trade numbers right now? I'm at 26 but need to plug the doughnut holes in my ship which sets me back to 24. Am I still in good shape?