Round 7 Trades

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Quantum, May 8, 2012.

1. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Not gonna be able to do either horsely or Adams this week. Got bigger problems. What to do with Mumford.
    With a bit more cash to be squeezed out of magnet, old Mac, sheil and stringer I'm gonna wait til the byes to make my midfield moves.
    With the mullet ,maric and Giles as rucks thinking of moving in either Jenkins or a mpp ruck/fwd dummy for bye switches and upgrading Geary or Milera to premium.
    Trades are getting tight. Only going for leagues now. Any advice???

2. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from TheTassieHawk on May 11, 2012, 10:34

@tolla & the swert

As most of us are probably aware those without MPP ruck links will most likely cop 2 donuts in the bye rounds. So bringing in another Rd13 bye forward (including Roughy) is simply "locking in" one of those donuts into the forward line in Rd13.

Personally I havent seen a compelling argument against "locking in" one of the donuts this week or next (considering a large proportion of us would already have "locked in" one Rd13 DEF donut, and probably another somewhere else as well).

IMO "locking in" both donuts before Rd 9 is a LITTLE risky if you are targetting overall points but each to their own. It wil be intersetign to see whether strong planning for the byes pays off as I am sure a decent number ahead of most of us will have potentially "locked in" 3 or more donuts without realising.

</blockquote>

While I am sure the supercoach gods will somehow make sure he beats me in my league match as comeuppance I offer an EXTREME case in point is Crawf who I am embarrassed to say is well ahead of me in overall to the end of Round 6.

He has loaded up on 4 premiums with Rd12 byes. So he has "locked in" both donuts for Rd12. By itself no issue. But when you look at his other lines he will be currently be facing around 12 donuts through the byes(Ie 3/5/4 which is 10 more than he "has" to have) - assuming everyone plays, which when you look at his team is very questionable.

To brign this down he will have to trade out most of the following between Rds 6&13- Bower/Morris/Yagmoor/Smedts/Magner/Stanley/Hall/Dsmith/Panos/Kerridge
    AND also find players with the right byes and hopefully some mpp flexibility to trade into!!

I'll be extremely surprised if he doesn't lose 300-400 points/20k places on his "par" through the byes, and will be lucky to win matches in his league particularly as some of the Guns'N'Rookie teams close behind really hit their straps.

My final point is regardless of whether you are targetting league or overall - plan your byes and DON'T BE CRAWF !!!

3. tolla

tolla New Member

thanks guys, i should have mentioned im wayyyy out of overall contention this year and thus only concentrating on leauges.

i was thinking roughhead and cop the donuts i get through the byes, just having a kick ass team for the run home. but im put off having him and buddy in the fwds after the great hawthorn resting in the final round last year which cost me the grand final in 3 out of 4 leagues.

im probably thinking paddy but not completely sold on his consistency, and i guess im even more concerned about everyone else.

i think i'll have to take the punt and go paddy, what with the crowbots overall competitiveness way up on last year, the remaining easy matches, and that sanderson knows to play him as a mid

4. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from TheTassieHawk on May 11, 2012, 10:34
    <blockquote>Quote from The_Swert on May 11, 2012, 10:08
    tolla, consider your bye situation.

Looking at that forward line, you already have Franklin and NRoo with round 13 byes so you probably don't want to bring in Roughead as you won't be able to cover all of them come the bye. You currently have 3 round 11 bye players but I'm guessing you might trade out Kennedy or Smith before the bye comes, if so you might be able to fit Dangerfield (rd 11 bye). Otherwise you could replace like for like and trade Goodes for Beams or another round 12 bye player.</blockquote>

@tolla & the swert

As most of us are probably aware those without MPP ruck links will most likely cop 2 donuts in the bye rounds. So bringing in another Rd13 bye forward (including Roughy) is simply "locking in" one of those donuts into the forward line in Rd13.

Personally I havent seen a compelling argument against "locking in" one of the donuts this week or next (considering a large proportion of us would already have "locked in" one Rd13 DEF donut, and probably another somewhere else as well).

IMO "locking in" both donuts before Rd 9 is a LITTLE risky if you are targetting overall points but each to their own. It wil be intersetign to see whether strong planning for the byes pays off as I am sure a decent number ahead of most of us will have potentially "locked in" 3 or more donuts without realising.

</blockquote>

Yes you could lock in the donuts and run the risk of hoping everybody else plays. But as Impromptu pointed out, you would prefer it if your donuts came from rookie players rather than premiums to minimise the loss of points.

5. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@the swert

I am not sure of the particular Impromptu article you refer to - and whether you have directly quoted or just formed your own interpretation ??

I would be keen to understand how there is additional risk associated with "hoping everyone plays" through "locking in" a 1st/2nd donut in the bye rounds? My assumptions are that unless premiums are injured/rested premiums will play 2 matches and have a bye between Rds 11-13. Correct me if I am wrong but they will be placed onfield and counted for both games they play in regardless of how bad your bye stratgey is.

Bad bye stratgey doesn't mean that you wouldn't count premium scores but it could potentially mean - assuming nearly everyone plays - that you will have ROOKIE emergencies in one or more weeks - essentiually meaning "unneccesary" donuts in other weeks. I actually think that bad bye planners will potnetially benfit more than good bye planners if "everyone else" doesn't play as for good bye planners it means an automatic donut, but for bad bye planners who get lucky it may not be an extra donut as they may already have been on the bench that week and effectively no additional lost points.

In a nutshell my view is that bad bye planning could lead extra Rd11-13 donuts but that they will come from ROOKIE players.

One way to get EXTRA premium games in Rds12-13 is to upgrade Rd12/13 bye rookies to Rd11 bye premiums in Rd12 and to upgrade Rd13 bye rookies to Rd11/12 bye premiums in Rd13. Another would be to sideways trade current premiums which uses less trades, and seems to fit with the idea that you "prefer it if your donuts came from rookie players rather than premiums". But then you don't have as many premiums in your team after the byes which will then hurt you in the long run.

I coudl go on, but we should probably take this to a forum on "bye planning" and then refer people to that when offering advice based on bye strategies !!

6. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

I took a risk last week and bought Adams 1 week early as my coverage was just no good.

So this week, I just need to bring in Horsley. I still have Kerridge in my midfield, and he has played the one game and got a 5. I still have McDonald, Shiel and Magner. So thinking of keeping those guys and fixing up Kerridge.

Any good forwards to bring in? I still have Smedts, Hall and Dickson. Two of those have been named this week, but have not been great for me.
    Can't see anyone to bring in, as I got Adams last week. Perhaps I should wait a little with my forwards, see how Zorko goes and can maybe downgrade to him in a few weeks.

I still have 19 trades left.

7. The_General

The_General Member

Would love some thoughts. Do I:

Trade Goodes to Beams (who IMO is the best fwd option ATM), which will mean its touch and go next week to bring in Ablett (at this stage it looks like I will be 40k short)

or

Goodes to Zaharakis and ensure that I can get Ablett next week.

8. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

I got in Zaka this week and would advise the same, think he will be top 10 Fwd option and its a hard long season not to have GAJ around!!!

9. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

"Horsely seems certain to get the sub vest as does Adams", how did you come to that conclusion?