Rules discussion: DRAFTING

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by anthak, Feb 21, 2016.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

6. DRAFTING
    6(a) – all drafts with the exception of the inaugural ORFFF draft will be ordered in a linear fashion based on the ORFFF ladder and placing after finals results (for the PSD only), with the bottom placed team to pick first.
    6(b) The Pre-Season Draft (PSD) in each season will commence on a designated time and date to be advised by the ORFFF Commissioner and/or Board, with a time lime limit for each pick to be advised by the Commissioner and/or Board.
    6(c) The Mid-Season Draft (MSD) in each season will commence on a designated time and date to be advised by the ORFFF Commissioner and/or Board, with a time lime limit for each pick to be advised by the Commissioner and/or Board.
    6(d) If in either the PSD or MSD a Coach does not pick within their allocated time they will be given the highest ranked player on the previous season SC averages (PSD) or current SC season averages (MSD). If the time limit isn't practical, you must notify the ORFFF in advance; i.e. if it is one or two picks before yours but you are flat out at work or have a wedding etc then post that you may need to extend your time. Alternatively, nominate a proxy and give them a standby list.
    6 (e) Teams involved in a draft must continue to draft until their lists are at 30 players.
    6 (f) as stated at 5(e) above the Mid-Season Draft is not compulsory to participate in for teams who have 30 players.

Read more at http://tooserious.net/forum/threads...-discussion.88813/page-12#uHvyVSkxvM2wYgh3.99

2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Good with this

3. anthak

For PSD, I would prefer the draft order to be based on ladder positions at the end of home&away season, rather than at end of finals.

I reckon we should decide on a time limit for picks now, rather than leaving it to Commish to decide. My preference is 12 hour limit.

I also think that we should have a rule to explain our collective view on the time limits.
    Personally, I believe it should be the intent of everyone to make their selection as soon as possible when it comes to their pick, with the time limit only in place for emergencies etc, so that the draft can keep moving if someone is not available for any unforeseen reason.

Also, should we have a games qualifier for the auto-picks? Something like, the player with highest average with at least 5 games played.

• Like Like x 1
  4. leematty1

leematty1 Well-Known Member

12 hours is fine with me

• Like Like x 3
  5. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

I agree with ladder position at end of H/A rather than finals, anything can happen in single games. Ladder is a better reflection of overall list strength.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Len

If we shorten the pick times to 12 hours which I'm not an advocate for then I think we need to exclude between 11pm and 7am or something similar. Personally I think 18 hours with no time exclusion is ideal, I don't recall a draft ever threatening to finish late.

• Like Like x 4
  7. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

+1 for ladder.
    Also I believe there should be a stipulated exclusion as Len mentions above.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

I'd prefer MSD to be on points for, rather than ladder position, to equalise for the difficulty of the draw.

• Like Like x 5
  9. anthak

Good idea

10. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Len on retaining 18 hr limit, low risk of running out of time.

Like Damoh's idea on msd order based on points for.

• Like Like x 2
  11. leematty1

leematty1 Well-Known Member

Agree with both as well

12. jamabadar

jamabadar Moderator

Agreed 18hrs not sure on msd because at the end of season points for and ladder position won't match up there will be a team sitting in the middle of the ladder that will have more points for than some of the teams above just will have more points against as well.
    My thinking is msd same order as psd for each season, i don't see the team that finished bottom one season being at the top by mid season next year would have had to have been a great psd for them.

13. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@jamabadar - obviously this could apply from 2017 (based on 2016 ladder positions)

what would we do in 2016 for this years MSD - random snake or other ??

14. jamabadar

jamabadar Moderator

I don't mind random or radical like voting each team puts up a list of teams in order 1 to 15 top team gets one point bottom team gets 15 points count all teams votes and team with lowest points goes first. Allows for a little strategy and makes it a bit more interactive.
    Just don't hate me if i put you last.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

12 hours is a poor choice - someone takes a pick at 10pm or 11pm then that means next person only has till 10am or 11am next day.
    Not everyone can get on here 10/11am in the morning, and for those in WA it is an even greater disadvantage due to time difference.
    18 hours limit or the countdown clock is stopped between the hours of midnight and 8am eastern time - this makes it fair on everyone - people in this league have lives outside of fantasy footy and shite happens that sometimes means someone can't get online to take their pick within 12 hours.
    Let's make it fair for everyone mate :)

16. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

My view on draft orders:

PSD should be based on end of season ladder position after finals, that's how it should be, you get that slight penalty for playing better in finals just like the "big boys" in the real AFL!!!

MSD is a bit different, especially in our inaugural season - some teams have drafted with a long term view with predominately younger players, others have gone with a more experienced inaugural list trying to get early glory.
    The pre-bye draw could see some teams expected to do well actually finding themselves ranked lower on the ladder than anticipated while others could be early bolters - depends on the "draw difficulties" just like the real AFL.
    Alot of variables in our first year

Maybe we could consider a lottery style MSD ranking for this year only, then revert to the "normal" system of ladder position at MSD time in subsequent years.
    A "lottery" system of say bottom 8 randomised using random.org or some such site to decide the order of the first 8 picks, then the top 8 get randomised for the other 8 picks - for both groups the list gets randomised by the amount of teams in that list (i.e. randomised 8 times)
    Or we could just randomise the entire ladder 16 times to get a MSD draft order that way - not all teams will participate, but they can still use their draft ranking to trade selections.

Just a thought

17. stowie

stowie Moderator

This first MSD could just be reverse of the original draft order

• Like Like x 3
  18. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Despite having perhaps a biased view here, it does seem like a fair proposal.

19. Len

+1
    I prefer the ladder position than post finals for PSD, last years FA Grand Final was between 7th and 8th, some pivatol injuries and form spikes added some excitement during the finals , but in no way did it means those two squads were better than the guys who finished 1st or 2nd on the ladder.

• Like Like x 3
  20. anthak

Yes of course people have lives away from this league. I gather we all appreciate that lol...
    Looking at our first draft, and from my experience with ORFFA drafts, pretty much everyone usually makes their selections within about 3 hours, with a lot of picks being taken in less than an hour.
    It has been extremely rare for someone to take more than 12 hours (even including overnight periods), and it has usually been for good reason when it has happened. I actually recorded the data for a couple of ORFFA drafts.

I think everyone tries to pick asap. I cant see the proposal of 12 hours being unfair. Its just simply to try to keep the draft moving in unforseen circumstances that prevent someone from taking their pick in that time, which has been very rare.

Also the WA example youve given doesnt really fly, because they would've likely had more time the night before whilst the east crew are snoozing.

I picked 12 hours because people usually work shifts of about 12 hours or less, and sleep for around 12 hours or less. Just vague generalisations i admit :)

Alas, i dont think it has much support.
    Its looking like 18 hours is the go, which im fine with too.

• Like Like x 1