seeing what difference good trades make

Discussion in 'AFL' started by TheTassieHawk, Mar 10, 2011.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Yeah it's been a lot of fun thunda.

What did everyone do with shaw?

I used one of my last 2 trades and bought in hurn

Its funny. Ever since west coast had their bye, I've wished I either hadve saved a trade for hurn or had an def upgrade still to do. So as soon as I heard shaw was out for rest of season, I immediately jumped at the chance to bring him in. I reckon he's gonna have a huge finish to the year! I hope so anyway.

2. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

I benched Shaw obviously. No trades!!

2334 with a donut in the FWDs.

v Anthaks 2401 (lucky for me you went Boyd as C)

Could have had cover in FWD but then I had none in MID and I was concerned the G Jnr might pull out, so had 82 points left on the pine. Bugger!!

3. anthak

Both of my main decisions this week were not good.

Traded in hurn who scored just 45. But hopefully he comes good for the rest of season.
    And Boyd as cap backfired. I am so disappointed with that decision.

Only slipped back about 10 spots overall, but lost ground on impromptu so I reckon I'm prob too far back now. But I will continue to pick smokey captains, as that is my only chance.

I was happy to break 2400, but it couldve been a lot higher...

4. anthak

On 1970/15 so far this round. Had swan as cap. Many more that I coulda picked that would have been better than him, so I could be better off.

Still happy with the way things are tracking, but thinking I may be headed for a par score though... Very high scoring round.

Hopefully whatever I get will be enough to break into the top 100 though! That would be nice.

5. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from anthak on July 24, 2011, 00:46
    On 1970/15 so far this round. Had swan as cap. Many more that I coulda picked that would have been better than him, so I could be better off.

Still happy with the way things are tracking, but thinking I may be headed for a par score though... Very high scoring round.

Hopefully whatever I get will be enough to break into the top 100 though! That would be nice.</blockquote>
    Still got Deledio, enright, broughton, Hurn, cox, Pavlich & Franklin to come, so could realistically be looking at 2700+, and could easily hope for 2800+! but could just as easily go &#60;2500...

6. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

wow..an awesome score for you this week anthak..2708

congrats..hope you get the cash

7. anthak

Ranked 50th mate. Good enough to move me up to 61st oa.

Now will be interesting to see how everyone goes on this multibye weekend. I've got a few players out on bye. Hopefully the reserves can fill in admirably!

8. Thunda

Thunda New Member

'GO ANTHAK GO' what a totally awesome rd, only if you had the C on Jude. Don't think too many where game to go there, with the chance of baby turning up.

9. anthak

Actually I was really close to picking him as cap. And it was mainly because of that reason. When players have just had a baby or are just about to, they seem to play above themselves. I seem to remember it happening before a few times. Hodge was one, but I'm sure there are others too.
    If I hadve had Judd as cap, I think I would have been about 10 points of 2800!

Anyway, I ended up thinking swan had more chance of scoring big against the suns. Was thinking of Mitchell a few weeks ago racking up the possies against them.

Alas

10. anthak

Yes! Finally my superPoD Ryan Hargrave is back!! :D and just in time to fill in for deledio too. I am very happy about this!

Due to premiums out this week, I will still need to rely on a few rookies - zsmith, mzungu and darling.
    The goo and Zachary are close to reliable so not worried about them, but am a little worried about darling... He hasn't exactly been in very good form, but apparently he was playing well last game, before getting subbed off with slight injury, so hopefully he is building some good form for this week against the dogs.

I'll be at the hawks/dockers game on Saturday cheering on mzungu! ;)

How's everyone else looking with the multibye?

11. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@anthak - i saw you were talking about your trading games team in the round 19 review - would you care to recap under this thread?

12. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from anthak on July 28, 2011, 23:09
    Yes! Finally my superPoD Ryan Hargrave is back!! :D and just in time to fill in for deledio too. I am very happy about this!

Due to premiums out this week, I will still need to rely on a few rookies - zsmith, mzungu and darling.
    The goo and Zachary are close to reliable so not worried about them, but am a little worried about darling... He hasn't exactly been in very good form, but apparently he was playing well last game, before getting subbed off with slight injury, so hopefully he is building some good form for this week against the dogs.

I'll be at the hawks/dockers game on Saturday cheering on mzungu! ;)

How's everyone else looking with the multibye?</blockquote>

Haha, I just read over this and had a laugh! I wish hargrave hadn't come back as puopolo scored about 50 points more than him but was on the bench.
    And darling ended up scoring the most out of the 3 mentioned rookies, even though I was most worried about him.

Haha, funny how things work out.

13. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from TheTassieHawk on August 3, 2011, 09:02
    @anthak - i saw you were talking about your trading games team in the round 19 review - would you care to recap under this thread?

</blockquote>
    It's quite convoluted...
    But here it goes.

It all started out with a discussion about people with two teams.

I spoke up, saying that there are legitimate reasons for having 2 teams, and I used this league as one example (among others). Judging by the comments that followed, and the :thumbsup: 's received, it seems this and some other reasons are well accepted for having a 2nd team.

While speaking about this league, I mentioned that this league has gone some way to debunking the myth that one's starting team is the be all and end all to ones overall success. - due to the massive variance in scores between the teams in this comp.

Then it was said that a truer indication would be the difference between my actual team and the team in this comp. - due to a presumed similar trading style.

But I argued that that is a flawed test, because I have actually used extremely different tactics with the two teams, mainly because I started aiming for leagues about round 8 with my actual team. And the main reason I was doing that was because I had pulled off some really good trades with the 'trading games' team early in the season (boomer and Petrie come to mind), whereas had stuffed up with my own team causing me to drop out of the running for oa.

I acknowledged that my starting team was a little flawed. Was actually quite similar to our team in this league but one huge difference was that i didnt have cox! (massive)
    But I explained that IMO, the controlled conditions in this 'trading games' league were much more conducive to an accurate test, as we are all on level playing field with same starting 33.

Fez also gave a great example from last season, where he started 2 teams with exactly the same players, but used different trading strategies from about half way through season onwards, and the teams finished about 10k spots different from each other! Great example, cause it's even more controlled - same coach, same team, different trades, and finished heaps different!

Anyway, it was also suggested that a whole range of factors come into it, which of course is true - anyone would be stupid to suggest otherwise - but my suggestion was that the starting team doesn't have as bug an influence as what we may have thought. Over the years, I have heard so many people, including myself, blame the starting team, but I reckon this league (and fez's example even moreso) shows that there can be huge variance in performance by either trading well or poorly, and I reckon it's even more important than starting team.

And on another note - I reckon luck is probably the biggest influence! Luck to do with injuries! For instance - wasting trades on bringing in players like mundy or Newman et al puts a huge dent in the season!

Anyway, that's my attempt at a wrap up - I think I'm gonna be late for work now haha. Gotta run!

14. anthak

Made it to work with 2 min to spare! Haha

15. TheTassieHawk

anthak - kiss of death warning - this one is almost in the bag for you !!

16. anthak

The margin at the top has narrowed to just 234 points now.

And there are only 2 other teams within 1000 points of top spot.

I was a little worried that I could be hurt by potentially having no ruckmen this week with a ruck line of cox, Petrie, zSmith, keefe and tippett - all 5 may not play this week.
    But then I had a look and FSB may not have a playing ruck this week as well - cox Goldstein, Griffin & keefe.

I know that I'm the only one with a trade left too.

17. anthak

18. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

Copped two donuts. Ablett and Sylvia. And had Jacobs on the pine wasting away. Prestia was emerg.

And I still managed a higher score than you Anthak...WTF!!

Donut coming up unless Keefe plays in the ruck.

Yuk!!!

19. anthak

Yeah, I had a poor week. 2 in a row.
    Last week I went for a risky cap choice and it went bad.
    But this week I had Judd which was good. But I made 2 stupid bench decisions on Friday night.
    All week I had had mzungu and puopolo on field over the likes of iSmith, Richardson and aJohnson etc.
    But then about 30min before lockout, I swung mzungu onto the bench for Richardson, and puopolo off for aJohnson.
    Lost approx 100 points from those stupid decisions. I don't know what I was thinking!

Anyway, its anyone's game now. Well out of 2 probably... But could easily go either way.

20. TheTassieHawk