SideBottom Vs Danger Vs Gray

Discussion in 'AFL' started by GaryReal, Mar 6, 2012.

1. PFJ

PFJ Guest

If any of those 3 I'd go Danger. More time midfield = better scores more often

2. The_General

The_General Member

@AA

IMO Pav scored higher as a forward because he played there in his prime. Last year he went midfield due to injuries. I can't see him increasing his output back to what it was 2-3 years ago. He's not underpriced due to injury and I doubt whether this role change will even increase his output at all. Hence why I say no real upside.

He is a workhorse and as such is a safe pick and I can see why people will have him from that perspective.

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Genza, there's probably no upside in Pendlebury, but I'd accept 130 ppg.

It's about both improvement and points on the board. Sure if all your players improve 10% you will probably win the thing. But if you hit and miss that's where the difficulty lies. You miss on a player you are hoping will turn into a premium, and all of a sudden you are burning trades just to get on terms, plus have lost tempo.

4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from The_General on March 8, 2012, 07:36
    @AA

IMO Pav scored higher as a forward because he played there in his prime. Last year he went midfield due to injuries. I can't see him increasing his output back to what it was 2-3 years ago. He's not underpriced due to injury and I doubt whether this role change will even increase his output at all. Hence why I say no real upside.</blockquote>
    I agree. I noticed over last couple of years that he scored better in games that he played more midfield. But I could be wrong. Would be great to see some stats on that. Pity I just quit my CD job... I may have been able to rustle up something.

5. Lucas

<blockquote>Quote from anthak on March 8, 2012, 09:33
    Pity I just quit my CD job... I may have been able to rustle up something.</blockquote>

Why'd you quit? Hours or conditions or back to study?

6. Turbs

Turbs New Member

id throw mitch Robo into the mix...
    he will improve on last year and should see more midfield time... always finishes in the top tacklers, kicks goals,... One of Ratten's favourites. A little wisper , he will be used more to feed Judd and has been focusing on his endurance

Downside: Defensive forward line roles/tags and tribunal worries

7. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

@Turbs Im a carlton fan who loves everything Robbo stands for, but not in SC. He throws himself in and gets knocked out or knocks someone out a lot. Plus free kick against and clanger values have doubled this year = Robbo value down IMO

8. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

@GaryReal - I'm glad you made that comment regarding Robbo as he was one of a few I was considering as a fwd POD - now he's scratched off the list :)

9. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

@bear - thats good cos you mightnt like the other one i made on your main page thread about Gray/Port :)

10. Bearfly

Is no problem Gary, all discussion is good, whatever it may be - we all have our thoughts and opinions mate :)
    The primary reason behind my articles about Port is to provide the TS community with info about the players - info that isn't very forthcoming outside SA.
    If I can provide some info that helps members of this fantastic community here, all the better - it's not my place to say someone should pick up a Port player, just highlighting those who have the potential to be considered for various reasons.
    To me, it's all about being a part of the community helping each other with info & advice - all comments to my articles are taken on board :)

11. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Word. Cos we are a bit scared to put our heads over the vic/sa fenceline you know.
    best to get info from an insider.

12. Bearfly

Much friendlier in Port Lincoln mate, we don't harass Vics over here (just take 'em out on the shark cage diving tours - might even take the cage) :D

13. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Is anyone at all considering Lewis from Hawthorn? Will definitely run through the mids and can score well.

Was he a FWD last year? Can't remember.

Seems to be never mentioned in these FWD/MID discussions. Too much competition for points? Unrealistic to say he'd improve by 10 ppg?

Not sold - but just realised he's never mentioned.

14. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

my grandma grew up in Port Lincoln she died at 96yo. she used to ride her horse as a kid to the neighbours property, and watch the windjammers. sounds good there.

15. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

He's my first forward upgrade target Nick.

I've heard some promising rumours cum assessments about his forward midfield splits for this year and how can you not like his attitude?

16. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Lewis has consistently averaged in the 80s and low 90s for the past 5 or so seasons, why would that change this season?

17. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

The assumption is that the addition of Gunston with the potential of Roughead's return and the hope of Rioli remaining uninjured releases Lewis to the midfield.

18. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Lewis has played in the midfield predominantly throughout the past 5 years, has he not?

19. Lucas

Lewis at least in the past used to be the epitome of DT player and not a SC player.

20. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

The Hawthorn website describes Lewis in 2011 as "playing through the midfield and as a lead-up half-forward. He was the No. 1 provider of goal assists to Coleman Medal winner Lance Franklin. A great team man who gives his all for the club".

The article I read (and I can't remember where) intimated that he would be released from sacrificing his game in helping out the forward line to concentrate on the midfield.

This should have a positive impact on his scores but I offer no guarantees, buyer beware.