Sky Racing Star Stable - Autumn Carnival Fantasy comp

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Bearfly, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

This is for all in the TS community who like the nags & like a punt.

Fancy yourself as a knowledgeable judge of horse flesh?

If so, come & join us in this comp - we've got a TS League up & running ready to take on the Autumn Carnival meetings in Melbourne & Sydney.

Details of the comp here: http://www.starstable.com.au

Currently on board - myself, chels & port_leschenault with crossy also expressing interest.

We had a group of us have a crack in the spring carnival comp & had a ball, so come & join us this time & see how you go - never know, you could take out the main prize or a weekly prize - gotta be in it to win it folks :)

Anyone interested in joining just say so here - if you're on my friends list I will PM the code to you - if you're not on my friends list, send me a request & I will accept then PM the code.

Let's show that TS people can be serious about all fantasy sports, not just footy :)

Cheers
    Bear

2. graeme

graeme Guest

great work Bear, for anyone who has not played this game before a couple of tips:
    1. concentrate on the high prize money races - the schedule will show you this. For example, in week one the guineas yields $450,000 to the winning horse, the handicap races around $60,000 - $90,000

2. There are two trades each week, plan to use them. For example, Helmet is a short priced favourite for the guineas. This is the only race he will compete in during the game. So take him in week 1 and trade him out week 2.

3. Make sure you choose 10 horses, and a jockey.

4. For the fixed odds on the major feature races check out: http://www.tab.com.au/Racing/Information/DisplayFixedOddsMeetings.aspx?State=2 this wiil help you see likely fields and favourites.

5. Use http://www.racingvictoria.net.au to see the fields and form for Vic races. Bear is there an equivalent site for the NSW races?

If you have any questions please ask via this thread. Bear, port and I are happy to tip in our specials so TS achieves the highest possible ranking. First tips - Helmet week 1, lock in Lucas Cranach, don't pick Black Caviar at this stage..

regards
    chels

3. Bearfly

Excellent overview to help any newcomers to this comp chels, you're a champ :)

And as for your comment re BC, definitely don't select her unless her next start is in Sydney because the only Melbourne meetings covered by the comp are the Australian Guineas meeting at Flemington on Sat March 3rd (the first meeting of the comp), & the Super Saturday meeting at Flemington on March 10th - and we've all heard Peter Moody state that BC has gone to spend a couple weeks in the paddock before being set to run sometime until late April at earliest in preparation for her crack in England.

Also, for everyone wanting to join in the fun, the comp commences this weekend (Sat 3rd March) with lockout being at 10am AEDT on Saturday - so jump on in folks and have some fun as we take the TS name to the racing fraternity :)

Bear

4. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Don't ask me, I'm in the complete beginners camp myself. :D
    Bear gave a list of good site, when i dig em up, I'll post.

5. Bearfly

Time to bump this up and get some more punters on board.

Come one, come all, have a crack and help us get the TS name out there into the world of racing.

6. Bearfly

Ok, whips is set to join us in the league - that'll make it 4.

Now if only we could get a few more racing fans from TS involved - I know you're out there folks, jump in - lockout is Saturday 10am AEDT.

7. weazel

weazel Member

bear i have sent you friend request

8. whips

whips New Member

Thanks Bear, I'm in but not happy already.
    My magnificent 4YO Jungle Rover won his maiden at Donald on Tuesday but I can't find him amongst the selections.
    Anyway, look out guys. Mine is a stable in form!!!

9. Bearfly

Well done whips - here's hoping JR goes on to bigger & better things for you as an owner :)

And I must say, it is good to see the gonegolfin stable back for a tilt at autumn riches - now if only we could get another 3-7 punters from TS we'll be in with a fighting chance of a decent league ranking.

To make sure we do rank as high as possible, it might pay for us who were involved in the spring to help out newcomers like p_l and weazel while they get the grasp of how the comp goes.

Anyway, JR is now in my black book to watch - and I can even get to watch his future races in the comfort of my recliner now Austar is hooked up, having Sky racing in my package :) So be sure to PM me whenever he is due to run in future mate

10. graeme

graeme Guest

two possible future stars for those unsure what to pick:

1. at $125,000 a big ticket item but the idol of Bart (Cummings) eye with great form in Germany that really is franked in Aus: ILLO
    2. at $25,000 a minimum investment with upside me thinks: NO EVIDENCE NEEDED

oty Bear to open up the goodies bag

regards
    chels

11. graeme

graeme Guest

@whips there are a few horses missing - especially on the two year olds ranks. Is going to make the Slipper a difficult target for us.

Good luck with JR, hope he turns out better than my never wassas

regards
    chels

12. port_leschenault

Thanks guys, I'll try and sit down to make a team tomorrow, so I'll probably have a million questions then. :D

13. whips

whips New Member

@p-l
    I agree with chels on No Evidence Needed. I've lost a shitload on him in the past cos I reckon he goes good but he hasn't.
    I still do - nice cheapy and he owes me heaps.
    Hardly a good recommendation and there goes our POD.
    Pinker Pinker - just have her. She's part-owned by my son's teacher.
    Structurally, do what I did during the Spring.
    Load the stable with runners from the first week - get a score early and they'll back up.
    Good luck to all, should be fun!!

14. Bearfly

For me, I honestly think King Mufhasa has the potential for another win or two in Sydney.
    Agree with chels on Lucas Cranach & Illo for the longer races - also I like Southern Speed with those 2.
    Pinker Pinker is honest as and always gives you a chance for a win.
    Helmet for week 1 then trade him out because he's of to Dubai.
    Anabandana owes me a couple of returns in the autumn.

And most important - listen to whips & chels because the gongolfin & celery stables were the in form stables from our league in the spring - whereas I made a couple of poor choices with my cheap POD's who didn't come up, resulting in a couple of burnt trades when I wanted to trade others!!!

Will be keeping my eye on Sky racing news on Austar tomorrow/tomorrow evening & early Sat morning to see if I can get any juicy snippets - will share with you fellas if anything good comes up for the 1st week.

15. Bearfly

Shameless bump here.

We could still do with another 3 players minimum in the league to ensure it remains a TS league.

C'mon guys & gals, I know there is more of you out there who like the nags - jump in now while there's still time - you never know, you could take out the main prize which is well worth winning!!!

Even if you're not the best punter in the world, plenty of sound advice & info will flow through this thread to help guide you through the ins & outs of the game.

Just jump aboard & give it a go - like the saying goes, you gotta be in it to win it!!!

16. port_leschenault

Ok so can anyone vet through this before 10am tomorrow? My stable:
    Pinker Pinker
    Mosheen
    Helmet
    Illo
    Southern Speed
    Anabandana
    That's The One
    No Evidence Needed
    Fontelina
    Celts

Anyone I should defo get rid of and for whom? :D

17. Bearfly

Looks a pretty good stable there port - got some good horseflesh for the big races & a few cheaper ones who should pick up some prizemoney along the way.

Helmet after his run this week will give you all but 25k needed to get someone like Lucas Cranach.

Now for the hard part, jockey selection - I've already thrown around 4 names & will probably change a few more times before lockout :)

And for anyone else who reads this and wants to be involved before 10am Eastern time Sat 3rd March - the league code is 313196

Good luck fellas - see ya all around the forums or in chat during this arvo/evenings games

18. port_leschenault

Ok thanks, see how it goes. Jockey I just selected was McEvoy because he's Helmet's jockey. :D

19. graeme

graeme Guest

looks pretty good port, a lot of similarities with my stable!

Jockey is a problem - had D Oliver but after last night's fall I am vacillating .....

regards
    chels

20. whips

whips New Member

Also had D Oliver. Heard this morning that he intends to ride if he gets a medical clearance.
    I'm going out so will make a change now. Can't afford for him not to ride.

@port, like your stable and your jockey selection. I ended up going against McEvoy but he was the other in the mix.

Good luck to all!

PS: Also, like a horse at Flem that hasn't won for 3 years. Dao Dao at about $12. Hasn't seen a race this weak for a long long time and couldn't draw a barrier when he failed throughout the Spring.