Sky Racing Star Stable - Spring Carnival Fantasy comp

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Bearfly, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Cheers Whips

Great story about Nash - I have been told by a few people who have met him that he's a nice bloke.

Now we're into meeting 2 I have finally hit the scoreboard thanks to the brilliant win by Mosheen :)

Anyway, I have also started a league in the Sportal comp which commences next Saturday (8th) - anyone interested in joining that one as well, the league code is 775359

It is a different system to the Sky comp - every stable has to select 4 x 3yo & 8 x 4yo + within a $6m salary cap - scores are points based rather than prizemoney earned - no stable jockey selection either.

Just thought I would open up the opportunity for all of us racing lovers :)

2. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

No December Draw Bearfly?? Playing catchup now!
    What a terrible decision C.Brown was. Looks like a few of us took him aswell

3. Bearfly

Still got a couple of cards up my sleeves UA, just didn't want to select them at the start and show my hand :)

Wasn't very convinced with December Draw's performance today, thought he was very lucky to just edge out Glass Harmonious in the end.

Been an interesting day's racing, and an entree to the real action that starts to build up from next weekend.

Bring on the big 3 staying events I say, as well as the main sprint races where a few of us with Black Caviar will dine on the spoils :)

4. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Oh wow, only 5 racing this week! Lets hope for 5 wins.

5. Bearfly

I know how you feel UA, it looks like I will only have 4 running over the weekend after I do my planned trades, but with a bit of good fortune, my tally hopefully will be boosted by some winning rides by Luke Nolan!!!

On another note, it would be good to get more people joining the Sportal league at http://horseracingdreamteam.sportal.com.au League ID is 775359 - only have 3 signed up so far, so still room for up to 17 more - join in folks, this comp will take alot more serious forward planning to be successful (that's what I like about it) :)

Also, did anyone else join the tipping comp at http://www.springtipping.com.au??? After the first weekend i'm sitting in position 51 out of 763 - however, my score of 13.30 has me sitting 27.00 behind first place, so not very well placed tbh.

And don't forget, anyone who wants to be involved in the "Last Man Standing" comp at sportingbet.com.au should sign up asap, comp starts this Saturday.

Very much looking forward to seeing Black Caviar run on Saturday - love watching this great mare race!!!

6. graeme

graeme Guest

g'day Bear,
    i have developed a CCS (chels cunning strategy) for this fantasy game which I am interested in your comments on.

Because of the exchange rate for the kiwi$ I am loathe to pay $250,000 for Black Caviar. If (when) she wins you get $120,000 off her. Well done. If I chose Luke Nolen as my jockey I get $100,000 off her without having to buy her. What do you reckon?

Also have a look at the Guineas prize money allocation - 5th - $25,000, 6th to 8th $20,000. This is good money given that only eight are starting and some of the nags cost $25,000. One in particular stands out for future big money races.

regards
    chels

7. Bearfly

Hey chels,

Looks like we've been thinking along the same lines with the Guineas - that's exactly the race I am looking at for my trading plans this week, although I haven't completely finalised those plans as yet - got some studying to do this evening first, but with the prizemoney on offer it is worth looking at a few of them, especially considering most of them have been nominated for the Derby as well.

Am hoping for a few wins from Nolen tomorrow to boost the coffers - and when Black Caviar gets up I might even be tempted to sling $50k your way to help you to purchase her for the Emirates :)

Also been developing a strategy for the Sportal game that kicks off this weekend - a bit different strategy required as it is points allocated, not prizemoney (and no luxury of a stable jockey either).

8. graeme

graeme Guest

Bear, the Sportal league is far too complicated for a normal punter like me - must be that your medical problems are affecting you in strange ways.

regards
    chels

9. Bearfly

Nah chels, just love a challenge - after all, I am a Port supporter :D

But strictly speaking, it is quite simple really - just have to pick your stable of 4 x 3yo and 8 x 4yo+ and try to select the horses you feel have a good chance of taking out some of the top races.

The only real difference is Sportal allocate points in line with the different category of races covered, whereas Sky choose to allocate prizemoney.

The comp that actually got me excited is the Spring Tipping comp run in conjunction with Sportingbet.com.au - I just happened across it when I was registering for the Last Man Standing comp.

But to be honest, anything to do with horse racing is a certainty to suck me in, been following the nags since I was about 12 and I have never tired of it - could quite easily go to the races and enjoy the day without having a bet, I just love watching the majestic creatures strive to be the leader of the pack.

10. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Im in the VS one.. Wow that was hard to pick a half decent stable. I think 99% of my horses are running this weekend, so coming weeks could be bit average. lol

11. Bearfly

Agree SKT

I actually found it tougher to select my 4 3yo whilst retaining enough in the salary cap to pick a decent list of 8 4yo+ - not sure that I have the mix right yet, but still have this evening to tinker around with the final stable.

What makes it harder is the fact that there is alot less horses to choose from compared with the Sky comp!

12. whips

whips New Member

Yep, the VS is very hard - the 3YO's were too expensive.
    But the stable is in and won't be tinkered.

13. graeme

graeme Guest

okay, in the VS comp with an eclectic mix that a charitable person would describe as "interesting."

3*$100,000 2*$200,000 and 1*$300,000 necessary to get the good ones in.

The A, B, C, D categories suggest one should have mostly horses with a chance in the A and B races.

good luck to the select six in tis comp!
    regards
    chels

14. whips

whips New Member

@chels
    I've thrown in a few mid-pricers. Maybe I haven't learnt from my early SC mistakes.
    Good luck to all.
    Should be fun!!

15. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Is anyone else having trouble with the Star Stables site? It just refuses to load...

16. Bearfly

Ahhh, the mid-pricers - unfortunately in these fantasy racing games there's no real way to avoid selecting them if you want at least half a chance of doing ok.

Anyway, we shall see in about 4 hours or so how we went :)

As for the Sky comp, it will be interesting to see what changes occur in our league rankings by the end of racing today.

Current rankings are:

1 - Gongolfin - $ 804,000
    2 - Celery - $ 684,500
    3 - ItautItawapuddytat - $ 360,000
    4 - Bearfly - $ 166,500
    5 - Fields of Omagh - $ 144,500
    6 - Melbandy Salutes - $ 116,500
    7 - Big Test Icicles - $ 12,500
    =8 - SUPERFASTHORSEYS - $ 0
    =8 - White Caviar's - $ 0
    =8 - Savage SC - $ 0
    =8 - Alcopop - $ 0

For those of us with both Black Caviar & Luke Nolen, there should be at least an extra $220k in the winnings today.

17. Bearfly

Having no problems at all Sainter - try clearing your cache then refresh, that's all I can think of.

18. Bearfly

Well, after the first 2 races at Caulfield there seems to be a strong track bias towards leaders, no horses so far been able to make up ground on the leaders when coming from behind.

EDIT: Good finishes by Moyenne Corniche & Bauer in the Herbert Power - be worth tracking the pair in the lead up to the Melbourne Cup, with both due to drop 5kg to their Cup weights of 52kg

19. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Yay Shewan was my downgrade to pick up black caviar, hopefully 2 trades, 2 wins!

20. Bearfly

Good call UA - I downgraded to Lucky 88 to pick up Smart Missile - makes the December Draw formline from last week a bit of a query now!!!