So is he IN or OUT of your team? (Gary Ablett)

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Gonaddz, May 3, 2012.

1. Corks

Corks Member

Think there's a fair chance he'll be named, but only 50-50 to play. GAJ will want to play if he's even 80%..a loss will make Suns favourite for the spoon, hard to get back from losing to GWS, and will hurt membership / supporter base.

McKenna will be more conservative, but will still play him this week if he thinks he's right. Any other team he wouldn't bother.

No one should trade GAJ in this week. Don't think I'd be putting the C on him either.

2. Flameboy23

Flameboy23 New Member

Hold one week before trading him back in...safety first!!!

3. Midge001

Midge001 Member

When did we suddenly decide he'll play forward? Ablett at 50% is better than anybody else in that team at 120%

4. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

McKenna said "at this stage" both would play against GWS in Canberra on Saturday, but if they pulled up poorly in the next 48 hours, would not be risked.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/135303/default.aspx

McKenna earlier said he was considering playing Ablett more up forward when he returns, to give the Suns' young midfielders greater opportunity to develop in the engine room.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=135303

5. Midge001

Midge001 Member

Righto...I'd still take that to mean he'll spend the majority of his time in the middle, though, and rest up forward occasionally. I see their point, but you don't bat Steve Waugh at 11 to give McGrath some more time in the middle.

6. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Tough call for the Suns,
    Gaz @80%?
    then do you play him & risk further aggravating the not yet fully recovered injury?
    playing him up forward with short burst rotations in the middle might be a sensible each way option.
    If they do this & Suns win & Ablett pulls up OK, they'll call McKenna a genius,
    if Gaz aggravates the injury & it outs him for another 4 or more weeks, they'd probably sack McKenna.
    Very tough decision.

7. matto76

matto76 New Member

McKenna didnt say just the forward line, he said forward, wing or behind the ball (backline). Read the article people. if he plays wing or HB it might actually increase his efficiency and might only need his 30 touches to get to 150. Didnt say that he would spend 100% of game time in the pocket either. If he dont go into the mids at all you have rocks in your head. Wait we have the best midfielder and player in the game lets just sit him in the pocket. If the games close or they are getting smashed in the mids who are they going to turn too.

More to the point he wont spent 100% of game time in the mids anymore like he has been. He will spend time in other positions. Which is actually a good move, make him more durable and be able to run out the year.

8. Seabass

Seabass New Member

Dane Swan does the exact same thing - he's spent quite a bit of time this season rebounding off the back line, also floating up forward. Doesn't seem to impact his scores too much.

9. jb

jb New Member

oh no Seabass dont start the Swan v Gaz debate please.
    Although this year Swan hasn't been as good as last & Gaz has been superb again.

Gaz...daylight...the rest.

10. Seabass

Seabass New Member

@chris88 - love the pecuniary interest declaration :) Tell me you don't work for the Health Services Union, *LOL*

11. Seabass

Seabass New Member

Sorry jb - I hereby withdraw my Dane Swan statement - move along, nothing to see here.

12. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Starting to really regret trading him out last week

13. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

TopHeavy Thats why you gotta keep the faith! Just like I rested Shaw on the bench, then Gaz now Goodes. If my prediction is correct and they all spend around 3 weeks on the bench before they start playing again you can call me Nostradamus ;-)_

14. thegob

thegob New Member

just on GC twitter

Big name and a Bolter named to line up for the @Goldcoastfc this weekend. #Anyguesses ?

cmon Gaz

15. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Gaj and Coad?

16. Dekka

Dekka Member

Riskytelly??

17. silacious

silacious New Member

I'm happy if he's named, i can have a look at him this week to work out if worth to pick him up next week.

18. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Ablett is a MASSIVE name not a big name!' reckon Riscettillin& Coad

19. Fazz

Fazz New Member

I think he will be named, he has been unusually quiet on twitter today

20. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

RiskyTelly and Michael Coad.

Off topic I know - but good to see Coad getting another chance. horrible luck with injury last year.