Success stories and tales of failure

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, Jul 2, 2014.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Out of interest, wondering right now which players ORFFA coaches feel are their team's biggest success stories during the 2014 season, and which have been the biggest disappointments. For me right now, the biggest success story would be a close run thing between Dom Tyson and Stephen Coniglio - two young midfielders who have stepped up their game this year. My biggest disappointment has been Michael Walters - for no other reason bar him being injured since Round 3.

2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Good idea Chris. i reckon my biggest success stories are two players I drafted in our very first draft, Jared Polec and Brodie Smith. They were both project players and they're showing this season that they're the real deal, and are both still very young. Tom Hickey is an interesting one for me cause he could fit in both categories. When playing, he has performed better than I expected he would, but he's missed a lot of games. And he's my only ruck, so it's hurt. I reckon Deledio would be my biggest disappointment. He's having his worst season in a long while. De Boer has disappointed me too.

3. graeme

graeme Guest

Well thought out Chris, a fine idea. Pick up of the year for the Waikicks is Nick Dal Santo (averaging 110 v 97 last year) as he has added depth and experience to the midfield. Should the dual position status (D / M) he has now got in AFL Fantasy be extended to SC then that would be an added bonus. Trading Tom Hickey (and a draft shuffle) for him was IMO not only an excellent decision for us but an excellent deal for Ant who had a real need for a decent ruck. If there are doubts that a trade can be a win win for both teams here is the proof. Draft pick of the year is Cam Pedersen who was initially a fill in to strengthen the defence but now looks like next year he will be a mainstay in the forward line. Improver of the year is big Sauce Jacobs (average up from 85 to 112 in ORFFA games) which supports the adage that you should back quality in. In close attendance for this honour are Paul Duffield (average 97 up from 80), Jamie Elliott (84 up from 72), Matty Wright (85 up from 71) and Nat Fyfe (122 up from 106). It is a sad reflection on my original draft that only Sauce and Jamie are from that group. Disappointment of the year is the run of injuries that have befallen Tom Mitchell. Hope he comes back bigger and brighter as the finals beckon as he is needed.

4. chris88

chels wrote:
    Well thought out Chris, a fine idea. Pick up of the year for the Waikicks is Nick Dal Santo (averaging 110 v 97 last year) as he has added depth and experience to the midfield. Should the dual position status (D / M) he has now got in AFL Fantasy be extended to SC then that would be an added bonus. Trading Tom Hickey (and a draft shuffle) for him was IMO not only an excellent decision for us but an excellent deal for Ant who had a real need for a decent ruck. If there are doubts that a trade can be a win win for both teams here is the proof. Draft pick of the year is Cam Pedersen who was initially a fill in to strengthen the defence but now looks like next year he will be a mainstay in the forward line. Improver of the year is big Sauce Jacobs (average up from 85 to 112 in ORFFA games) which supports the adage that you should back quality in. In close attendance for this honour are Paul Duffield (average 97 up from 80), Jamie Elliott (84 up from 72), Matty Wright (85 up from 71) and Nat Fyfe (122 up from 106). It is a sad reflection on my original draft that only Sauce and Jamie are from that group. Disappointment of the year is the run of injuries that have befallen Tom Mitchell. Hope he comes back bigger and brighter as the finals beckon as he is needed. You mentioned 'win-win' trades - reckon another one is one you referred to amongst your improved players - the one we did involving Duffield and Westhoff. Westhoff was massive last year for me, and aside a stutter or two in the lead-up to the bye this year has given me around 95 points a game. Duffield was great for me but I needed a forward at that stage, and now Paul is playing really well for you. Lots of wins.

5. graeme

graeme Guest

Very true Chris, the Duffman trade for the Hoff was very much a win, win. Am proud of trades where both parties recall them fondly. I guess if there is a secret to good trade that is it - identify a shortage in another team that you can solve while resolving your own need at the same time.

6. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Sam Gibson was within a gnat's foreskin of being delisted at the start of the year.

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

chris88 wrote:
    Out of interest, wondering right now which players ORFFA coaches feel are their team's biggest success stories during the 2014 season, and which have been the biggest disappointments.
    Biggest disappointment, I have a list tbh; Bock, drafted 4th round first draft, broken leg 3 weeks later played 2 games since, was supposed to be fit at the start of this year, they lied. Tom Young, spud, can't get a game in a crap side Josh Bruce, heaps of promise no shine, Rhys Stanley after McDonalds Dean Terlich, last years flash apparently in the pan Bellchambers, don't blame bomber, I dropped him myself 2 weeks earlier, look to have paid overs Biggest success, clearly Paparone.

8. snoz

snoz Moderator

Hhmm..........how do I answer this without throwing myself under the bus :) Defense: Sammy Mitchell'sinjury hurt, a lot. Young uns Webster & Goodes may not come thru as hoped. Fail. Mid: Holding Lachie Neale for two seasons has now paid off. Jack Martin is finally playing. Jono O Rourke needs to be traded to another team to get some value out of him. Morabito.......boy this is a long hold......maybe soon. Taylor Adams.....HEAVY trade target pre season, I held firm = fail so far. Ruck: Sandi is Sandi......Wittts, being a Pie Man I knew him well, just waited. Steal. Fwds: UGH.....just crap. Flyers on Markworth, Karnezis, McCarthy all wasted. Lyons cant get a full time gig either. Fail.

9. chris88

Just out of interest too - an indication or two of possible future DPP changes for SC (and ORFFA) in 2015. http://dreamteamtalk.com/2014/07/03/new-dpps-ahead-of-round-16/ <table class='tablepress tablepress-id-41 dataTable' id='tablepress-41] <tbody class='row-hover' role='alert] <tr class='row-2 even] <td class='column-1 ]Petterd, Ricky <td class='column-2 ]Richmond <td class='column-3 ]DEF <td class='column-4 ]DEF/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 403,656
    <tr class='row-3 odd] <td class='column-1 ]Everitt, Andrejs <td class='column-2 ]Carlton <td class='column-3 ]DEF <td class='column-4 ]DEF/MID <td class='column-5 ]$ 372,540
    <tr class='row-4 even] <td class='column-1 ]Dal Santo, Nick <td class='column-2 ]North Melbourne <td class='column-3 ]MID <td class='column-4 ]DEF/MID <td class='column-5 ]$ 432,554
    <tr class='row-5 odd] <td class='column-1 ]Thomas, Dale <td class='column-2 ]Carlton <td class='column-3 ]MID <td class='column-4 ]MID/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 375,364
    <tr class='row-6 even] <td class='column-1 ]Zaharakis, David <td class='column-2 ]Essendon <td class='column-3 ]MID <td class='column-4 ]MID/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 539,318
    <tr class='row-7 odd] <td class='column-1 ]Salem,Christian <td class='column-2 ]Melbourne <td class='column-3 ]MID <td class='column-4 ]MID/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 173,838
    <tr class='row-8 even] <td class='column-1 ]Bennell, Harley <td class='column-2 ]Gold Coast <td class='column-3 ]MID <td class='column-4 ]MID/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 464,679
    <tr class='row-9 odd] <td class='column-1 ]Cox, Dean <td class='column-2 ]West Coast <td class='column-3 ]RUC <td class='column-4 ]RUC/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 452,473
    <tr class='row-10 even] <td class='column-1 ]McIntosh, Hamish <td class='column-2 ]Geelong <td class='column-3 ]RUC <td class='column-4 ]RUC/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 391,683
    <tr class='row-11 odd] <td class='column-1 ]Naitanui, Nic <td class='column-2 ]West Coast <td class='column-3 ]RUC <td class='column-4 ]RUC/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 402,496
    <tr class='row-12 even] <td class='column-1 ]Lycett, Scott <td class='column-2 ]West Coast <td class='column-3 ]RUC <td class='column-4 ]RUC/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 275,175
    <tr class='row-13 odd] <td class='column-1 ]Impey, Jarman <td class='column-2 ]Port Adelaide <td class='column-3 ]FWD <td class='column-4 ]DEF/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 250,797
    <tr class='row-14 even] <td class='column-1 ]Howe, Jeremy <td class='column-2 ]Melbourne <td class='column-3 ]FWD <td class='column-4 ]DEF/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 385,299
    <tr class='row-15 odd] <td class='column-1 ]Yarran, Chris <td class='column-2 ]Carlton <td class='column-3 ]FWD <td class='column-4 ]DEF/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 361,394
    <tr class='row-16 even] <td class='column-1 ]Harbrow, Jarrod <td class='column-2 ]Gold Coast <td class='column-3 ]DEF <td class='column-4 ]DEF/MID <td class='column-5 ]$ 419,088
    <tr class='row-17 odd] <td class='column-1 ]Jack, Kieren <td class='column-2 ]Sydney Swans <td class='column-3 ]MID <td class='column-4 ]MID/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 534,325
    <tr class='row-18 even] <td class='column-1 ]Duncan, Mitch <td class='column-2 ]Geelong <td class='column-3 ]MID <td class='column-4 ]MID/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 479,657
    <tr class='row-19 odd] <td class='column-1 ]Ryder, Paddy <td class='column-2 ]Essendon <td class='column-3 ]RUC <td class='column-4 ]RUC/FWD <td class='column-5 ]$ 425,846
    There'll be some names in there that'll make people happy. Personally, the possibility of a 2015 forward line which includes Harvey, Westhoff, McGlynn, a returning Walters, Nic Nat, Frawley, Betts and Vickery has me rather excited. As predicted, NDS gets a DPP. All WCE ruckmen get DPPs too. Everitt is an interesting one, as is Mitch Duncan. My old mate Jezza Howe (who I traded for Frawley some time ago!) gets a much deserved DPP. And Harley Bennell as a forward - whoa.

10. G-Train

G-Train Member

To add to the above, I'd say some of those will be exclusively their new position, and not a DPP. They just couldn't remove their original position in '14. eg. Impey and Yarran

11. G-Train

G-Train Member

Success: Steven May Mark Blicavs [span style='font-size: 14.44444465637207px;]Levi Greenwood Anthony Miles Marley Williams Brandon Matera Failure: Jeff Garlett Toby Greene Brodie Grundy Nathan Freeman Billie Smedts

12. J_C

J_C Guest

Start with the bad... Biggest disappoinments (starting broadly and getting more specific) <ul> <li>Birdsville FC - just generally poor and inconsistent this year </li> </ul> <ul> <li>Fwds, Defs & Rucks - little to be pleased about in any of those lines</li> </ul> <ul> <li>Houli, Laird, Wells, Moloney, Ray, Clarke, McEvoy, Mayne and Cloke.</li> </ul> Biggest relief - Marc Murphy returning to somewhere near his best SC scoring after whatever last year was. Biggest success - Adam Treloar, by the proverbial country mile. Already a solid contributor in his first two years, a 23ppg increase this year to be our leading scorer so far with 110ppg. Taken in the 17th round of the initial ORFFA draft with pick 291, he looks a bargain buy at that price.

13. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Biggest Success Ablett : Can you believe he is averaging 142? I actually didnt think he could get better but he has. Nathan Jones : Averaging 110 he has had a breakout year after seasons in the 85-95 range. Jackson Macrae : Drafted a year ago in the PSD, now averaging 98! Kid is going to be a star. Crap Griffen : Seriously? Whats up with him? Averaged 120+ last year and 87 this year, thats some drop off. Struggling to get picked week in week out.

14. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Prap wrote:
    Success: Steven May Mark Blicavs [span style='font-size: 14.4444px;]Levi Greenwood Anthony Miles Marley Williams Brandon Matera Failure: Jeff Garlett [span style='font-size: 16px;]TOBY GREENE Brodie Grundy Nathan Freeman Billie Smedts Swap you back :p

15. graeme

graeme Guest

[span style='color: #000000; background: #ffffff;]'All WCE ruckmen get DPPs too.' Including Callum Sinclair?

16. chris88

chels wrote:
    [span style='background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% #ffffff; color: #000000;]'All WCE ruckmen get DPPs too.' Including Callum Sinclair?

Lamentably, no.

17. graeme

graeme Guest

Who do I get in touch with Chris - that is just wrong. Just because he is not playing does not mean he should be discriminated against!

18. chris88

chels wrote:
    Who do I get in touch with Chris - that is just wrong. Just because he is not playing does not mean he should be discriminated against!

Strangely enough he has been named in the Eagles' extended squad for this week.

In fact, all four Eagles ruckmen have been named - I have this feeling that someone may be getting rested very soon...

19. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm interesting one for me Disappointment : Ben Reid, just can't get on the park, the others would be Drafting Matt Fuller who was talked up big time, and sticking by Josh Simpson when I had a lot of interest in him in the off season. My forward line has been abysmal this year... but I am not Robinson Crusoe there ... Petrie has been absolutely shocking, I knew he was reaching the end of his lifespan but my god, how big a cliff can it be! Success : a couple... I think the Tom Nicholls trade was a win/win... with Len getting Paparone, who has shown some real potential this year, but I desperately needed a playing ruckman with Mummy shafting me by moving to GWS. Bontempelli I think is going to be an absolute jet... starting to show it now.

20. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

FAILURE - Losing your captain and clearly the leagues best player for 6++ weeks heading into finals. UGH.