SuperCoach scoring changes for 2015

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Jan 17, 2015.

By walesy on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:00 AM
  1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

<p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]As with most years, there are changes this year to the way that Champion Data calculate their SuperCoach scores.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]So lets kick off our first SC post for the year going over those changes and perhaps coming to terms with why a mid-priced ruck might be just what the doctor ordered in 2015.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]So, what are the changed? There are two main ones. One effects the scores of ruckman, the other effects the state of play weighting.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]RUCKMAN SCORE CHANGE
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]CD, as the master stats guys that they are, have decided to alter the ruck weightings to more reward quality over quantity.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]In reality however, the new ratings have kicked everyone in the nuts.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Specifically, the score changes reflected are as follows:
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Effective hitouts: From 3 to 5.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Ineffective hitouts: From 1 to 0
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;](And I'm hearing that sharked hitouts are sitting at -1 from -2, though haven't had that confirmed)
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Finally, gather from hitouts (The points awarded to the player who gets the ball from the ruckman), will be decreased from 3 to 2.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]So what's the end result? In short, Sam Jacobs would have dropped 6% off his average last year.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]And that's the best case.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]A 10% drop is more the likely scenario, and combine that with the general 10% drop that premiums score when they get their average from last year, you start to find some very compelling reasons to not invest your start up capital in the Ruck position.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]STATE OF GAME WEIGHTING
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]The state of the game weighting, is the weighting which gives a player 50 points for kicking a goal after the siren.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]More specifically, it rewards plays that occur when the game is on the line.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Anyways, this factor has been the cause of many the celebration (or heartache) over the past few years, and CD in their wisdom have decided to scale it back.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]No more post game +50's (Just a more reasonable +25 :D)
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]It's not really something we can plan for in our team selection though, but it is good to know.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Jan 17, 2015.

1. stripey
      stripey
      Hey Walesy, interesting stuff. Where do you get your info on effective v ineffective hitouts?
    2. walesy
      walesy
      So, what's the early trend in rucks?

Jacobs/Krueze + rookie R/F?

Leuen in there somewhere?

Or do you jump on a young buck in Longer/Grundy?

Or just load up on R/F's and hope that they play forward. :D
    3. walesy
      walesy
      A couple of places. :)

Most recently though- confirmed in the prospectus.
    4. stripey
      stripey
      Darn, seems like i might have to pick up a copy this year... ;)
    5. Iain
      Iain
      Hey, where's my prospectus?
    6. Iain
      Iain
      Currently I'll be rolling at least one NicNat &amp; Giles (depending on ASADA)
    7. stripey
      stripey
      I really want to lock in NicNat this year, imo there is plenty of upside - perhaps with Kreuz and a rookie R/F
    8. stkildathunda
      stkildathunda
      Bellchambers &amp; The Burger :D #midpricemadness
    9. tAdmin
      tAdmin
      All I'm hearing is that a fit NicNat needs to contest 20 CB's to score 100.
    10. Len
      Len
      I like the state of play changes, bringing it down from 4x to 2x will stop the ridiculous score swings that happened at the end of some games
    11. Jason
      Jason
      Various discounts are available for rucks in 2015, based on their average from 2014. Nothing as enticing as the discount Sandi received at the start of 2014 as most are nowhere near 1st ruck for their respective teams, but this is what we have to work with:

10%: Hickey, Wood, Nicholls, Naismith

20%: Spencer, Currie, Cordy, Phillips, Lobb

30%: Lowden, Gorringe, Redden

50%: Griffin, Grimley (both using 2013 av.)
    12. Owen
      Owen
      I have some other information from 'sources', believe what you may:
      - Supercoach opens end of Jan
      - weekly cash prize has increased, not sure what to
      - can run a 10 team league instead of 18
      - phone app a lot better apparently but won't be ready at launch
    13. stripey
      stripey
      It would be hard to imagine a worse app than last years
    14. stripey
      stripey
      Thinking about this further, given the premium rucks will bleed money at the start of the year the result will be most people ditching the set and forget policy with the rucks and treating it as an area for future upgrades.. in that case as SKT said #midpricemadness unless some rookie rucks appear.. I am hoping to see a bit of Nankervis this year given the scores he pumped out in the TAC a couple of years ago but he is behind a couple of others at the swans

Stubborn me will stick with NicNat tho... :)
    15. anthak
      anthak
      What about the DT one. Was much worse!
    16. Tomster
      Tomster
      With fingers, toes and knees crossed, maybe even a 1 mid-pricer, 2 rookie ruck strategy!? Or am I too hopeful?
    17. choppers
      choppers
      I originally went with Sauce and Goldy in the ruck but after this article I've changed to Nic Nat and Kreuz with BC in the forwards as an F5 (r/f). The 3 of them also have their byes in different rounds. Not saying that's what I'll go with come Rd1 but I'm heading that way.
    18. Philnc
      Philnc
      What exactly does it say in the prospectus? That ineffective hitouts =0? Does it say anything about sharked hitouts? And on your statistics that Jacobs would have seen a 6% drop, have you giving his sharked hitouts -1 or -2 points.

Sorry about so many questions but I think this new rule needs to be debated so we can get a little edge on the rest of the competition but analysing if ruckmen are overpriced.
    19. Len
      Len
      For exactly what's in the prospectus I suggest you buy a copy, its half a page of 10 point font, no-one is going to retype it for you.. Regarding points it states; 'In 2015 rather than awarding one point for all hitouts, there will be zero points allocated, but the value of a hit-out to advantage has risen from 3 to 5 points.'