SuperCoach scoring changes for 2015

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Jan 17, 2015.

By walesy on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:00 AM
  1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

<p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]As with most years, there are changes this year to the way that Champion Data calculate their SuperCoach scores.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]So lets kick off our first SC post for the year going over those changes and perhaps coming to terms with why a mid-priced ruck might be just what the doctor ordered in 2015.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]So, what are the changed? There are two main ones. One effects the scores of ruckman, the other effects the state of play weighting.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]RUCKMAN SCORE CHANGE
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]CD, as the master stats guys that they are, have decided to alter the ruck weightings to more reward quality over quantity.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]In reality however, the new ratings have kicked everyone in the nuts.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Specifically, the score changes reflected are as follows:
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Effective hitouts: From 3 to 5.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Ineffective hitouts: From 1 to 0
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;](And I'm hearing that sharked hitouts are sitting at -1 from -2, though haven't had that confirmed)
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Finally, gather from hitouts (The points awarded to the player who gets the ball from the ruckman), will be decreased from 3 to 2.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]So what's the end result? In short, Sam Jacobs would have dropped 6% off his average last year.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]And that's the best case.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]A 10% drop is more the likely scenario, and combine that with the general 10% drop that premiums score when they get their average from last year, you start to find some very compelling reasons to not invest your start up capital in the Ruck position.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]STATE OF GAME WEIGHTING
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]The state of the game weighting, is the weighting which gives a player 50 points for kicking a goal after the siren.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]More specifically, it rewards plays that occur when the game is on the line.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]Anyways, this factor has been the cause of many the celebration (or heartache) over the past few years, and CD in their wisdom have decided to scale it back.
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]No more post game +50's (Just a more reasonable +25 :D)
    <p class='western' style='margin-bottom: 0cm;]It's not really something we can plan for in our team selection though, but it is good to know.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Len
      Len
      atm I have NitNat, TBC &amp; Lobb with Ryder in the fwd line, I am told Ryder in the fwd line is a poor option, some people don't know a Misfit when they see one..
    2. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      They're out? Usually means it arrives here in another three weeks then. Ugh
    3. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      Yeah, they are annoying, hopefully it streamlines more of the game too, so you don't see double-digit increases in scores when all GAJ or Rioli did was fart.
    4. Jason
      Jason
      I picked up my copy at local newsagent during the week.
    5. Iain
      Iain
      I wonder how long it will take them to send mine to Tas then
    6. port_leschenault
    7. gbjmarsh
      gbjmarsh
      If reward is going to the better ruckmen, won't it be wiser to get the best ruckmen who will have an effective hitout?
    8. Len
      Len
      Yes, but at this stage the biggest scoring ruckmen from last year look likely to have their averages drop due to the change, for this reason people are trying to find an underpriced ruck combo that wont drop in price, or the best tapmen who will also score points around the ground..
    9. walesy
      walesy
      It's based around the concept of value.

We all start with $10 mil. And if you can spend that $10 mil on players who in reality, are worth $14 mil, then you are going to smash it.

If however, you blow $1.2 mil on what rule changes now deems $900k worth of ruckman, then you're kicking yourself in the teeth before the season starts.
    10. Jason
      Jason
      No - what gave you that idea?
    11. Philnc
      Philnc
      True, but the winner in SC (or DT) is whoever has the most points, not the most expensive team.
      For example if Sam Jacobs does drop 6% to a 110-111 average but is still has at least 5 points (+22 games) on any other ruckmen, there is still merit in picking him from the get go (even if his price does slide)

Another thing we should touch on is the points being taken off the player who sharks the hitouts, generally a midfielder. Ablett &amp; Liberatore were top2 for clearances. Does this mean we should overlook the son of god due to being slightly overpriced?

Thirdly, if the pie remains at 3300 and all these different type (mainly ruckmen) are taking a hit, who exactly is benefitting? Buddy, or will he lose out from last quarter inflation? Can Nathan Brown finally average 60?
    12. bgt2110
      bgt2110
      Don't let ASADA stop you picking Giles if you want him Iain, he wasn't even at Essendon at the time.
    13. walesy
      walesy
      There is merit in having the R1 from season start, but regardless, you'll need to upgrade a number of positions throughout the year.

I'm personally banking on upgrading to the guys who are currently 10% overpriced on average due to a change in scoring, when said scoring change drops their price.

I've seen some numbers on the gather from hitouts, which I can't publish, but the effect isn't massive. Think Fyfe was the most relevant player effected, and was looking at a 4 point drop.

As for the 3300 spread, you're taking 10ppg off 1 play, and applying it across 20 other guys (ie- 0.5ppg). Wouldn't imagine a massive swing up the other way.
    14. Iain
      Iain
      I do think he has a fair bit of potential at Bomberland, I'd just rather he has a football team to back him up when it comes to it
    15. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
    16. Tomster
      Tomster
      The eliminator comp looks exciting, and hopefully the claims of a new and improved website hold true
    17. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      You replying to my post did. It make zero sense otherwise because you being able to get it at a newsagents in Melbourne is completely irrelevant to how long it takes to courier to WA.
    18. Jason
      Jason
      You are weird. Your post asked if they were out and I answered your question.
    19. Croo
      Croo
      I'm leaning towards Giles. Big Bellchambers has never really burnt even when handed the reins imo.
      Derickx is one to keep an eye on. Pyke is 31 now and his huge tank and heart might slow. Horse has shown little sentiment to aging stock and if Pyke gets wounded or off to a slow start than Derickx has shown he can hold his own. This is going to be a big arm wrestle for #1 spot.
      Whats peoples opinion on T Williams ?? Can he hold a spot in Doggies forward line to give Big Will a chop out ??.