TAB-SKY Racing Star Stable Fantasy Comp

Discussion in 'On the punt' started by Bearfly, Sep 6, 2012.

1. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

Shout out to the Punt Club guys to jump in on this. Go to http://www.starstable.com.au and enter league code 491477.

Nine teams now in our Stable and under 6 days to first lock out.

Any more thoughts on weazels suggestion ...."just throwing an idea out there maybe we could throw out some names of horses that we think should be in all stables....." ??

2. graeme

graeme Guest

Be careful with picking runners for the SCHWEPPES THOUSAND GUINEAS 1600M $500,000.

The reason I am raising this is that it is run on Wed 17 Oct 12 at Caulfield and that is not a race day for the comp as far as I can see.

So, while the favourite Molto Bene ($25,000) looks a bargain, be aware.

3. weazel

weazel Member

just for those new and old the rules have changed a bit from last year if you haven't already read them

1 Horse values will now change during the game to reflect their performance; up too max 250k (more joyous is already 250k)
    2 Jockeys will receive $100,000 for first place, $50,000 for second place and $25,000 for third place;
    3 not new but for those that don't know aim for the higher prize money races

4. weazel

weazel Member

some of these have been mentioned before in this thread but these will more than likely be in my stable at some stage hope i can make them fit

manighar, southern speed,glencadam gold, lamasery, happy trails, green moon,prosir, shoot out,december draw

trade ins

more joyous, pierro, buffering, kabayan

5. graeme

graeme Guest

A second caveat fellow race fans, this one about high cost sprinters. Note that the Group 1 Manikato Stakes, run at Moonee Valley the night before the Cox Plate on October 26, is not part of a race day in the game.

To me this means you would not want to have a lot of mullah on the bench for very few runs. Many horses are going to the Manikato then onto the Coolmore. Only the latter will earn you "points."

But of course it is always your choice ....

6. J_C

J_C Guest

@Chels - Valid point mate.

@ Weazel - Nice list! Intersting to see how many you can fit in your stable first up. Glass Harmonium will be in the same races as a few of those and was a nice run first up. Not sure if its running this week though.

December Draw looks to be on a Turnbull/Caulfield Cup/Melbourne Cup path and is almost a lock for mine, given the 3 runs.

7. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Chels for keeping us updated with those insights - have to admit that I haven't looked closely enough at the races list yet, been trying to sift through the horses list for some of the bargain buys whilst also keeping an eye on noms and acceptances for this weekend!!!

For me, 3 definite locks are Southern Speed, December Draw and Happy Trails - the first 2 are on the classic CC/MC pathway whilst the later is heading to the Cox Plate with a really strong chance (am glad I managed to get him at $51 for the Plate a few weeks ago)!!!

Also on my radar are the likes of Green Moon (looking likely to head for the Plate atm), Solzhenitsyn (bloody mouthful of a name), and of course Pierro & Prosir - but unfortunately can't fit them all in so have to really sift through those bargains to see if I can score something that will rise in value early on!!!

8. J_C

J_C Guest

Bear - Interesting to see It's A Dundeel (under its former name 'Dundeel' in the comp) listed at $75k, with Proisir at $50k.

9. Bearfly

A couple of good ones there Jolcon!!!

Just a word of warning to everyone - don't get sucked into selecting Callanish for your stables - I know he has been impressive to date, but the word is he will next run in the Cranbourne Cup then most likely be spelled after that!!!

10. Daveo

Daveo Member

Team HOOF HEARTED has joined and ready for a bit of fun.

11. Bearfly

@Daveo - the fun arrived with your team name mate - as soon as I said it quickly it came out sounding like "who farted" :lol:

12. whips

whips New Member

Well done BF for getting this organised again.
    Thought I'd pop in for a last minute entry and I'll try to get the Autumn league winner in Chilired involved

13. Bearfly

Beauty Whips, look forward to having you both join us again mate :)

My fiancee just joined up earlier too, so looks like we'll have a bigger n better league than we did for the Autumn carnival :D

14. Swans2012

Swans2012 New Member

Well that's it, team sorted, stable sorted I should say, last minute inclusion of it's a dundeel instead of fawkner purely for stable value cash generation(hopefully) but leaves very little in the kick..... Hmmm looking forward to today!! :)

15. Bearfly

So, did anyone punt on Tommy Berry for their jockey this week??? 3 winners and 1 place from 5 rides a good output from him makes him the clear leader in this weeks jockey stakes, but doubt he'll do much from here on!!!

16. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Nope, Rawiller for me.. Not worried, yet :)

17. Len

Nope, Rawiller for me.. Not worried, yet :)

18. Bearfly

Was tossing up who to go for personally - could've gone the easy way out with Nash who performed adequetly but ended up going for the tough choice of Bossy in Melbourne who ended up with 1 win a couple of places and a couple of 4th's - could easily have been 3 wins if things went right!!!

But I am pleased with my stables performances today - wins from It's A Dundeel, Green Moon & Maybe Discreet to go with placings from Urban Groove, Proisir & December Draw and some strong efforts from Secret Admirer, Happy Trails, Southern Speed & Buxted!!!

Should keep me in the hunt early - now onto next week and wait for noms & acceptances during the week before working out who will be traded from my team!!!

One thing I am pleased with from today is Happy Trails run in the Turnbull - was a solid Cox Plate trial and I reckon he'll acquit himself well in the WFA championship!!!

19. Len

Well I appear to have screwed the pooch on this one, but when I look at my team I can't really see huge holes.
    I am contemplating jumping off Winchester and Southern Speed but am half tempted to sit tight also and see what happens next week as I don't think they are duds, though SS's run was awful.

Given we can see each others stables I would welcome any feedback that might help me lift our leagues rank as I hate playing an sea-anchor role :)

20. weazel

weazel Member

@lenh mate hang tight until we get all the fields for next meet and we can all try to find the winners