Team Numbers

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by TerryinBangkok, Apr 3, 2013.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Thank you chels. One of the disadvantages of an outer regional league is that it often takes some time for the camel mail to come through, but communications with the north isle are excellent.

2. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

The member for Nunawading (swinging seat has nothing to do with politics) votes for
    a and a.
    Can I have some more now sirs?

3. TerryinBangkok

melbandy wrote:
    The member for Nunawading (swinging seat has nothing to do with politics) votes for a and a. Can I have some more now sirs? That would be country member?

4. J_C

J_C Guest

[span style='text-decoration: line-through;]C & A A & B for me. [span style='font-size: 10px;]*Edited - changed my mind

5. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

JC wrote:C & A for me. What he said.

6. grav

grav Guest

chris88 wrote:
    OK, so current list numbers are 26. First question - I agree 100% with Fitzy's sentiment that no changes be made until end of year. BUT, I can't vote for it because of my stated support for increasing list size to alleviate injury concerns rather than opting for priority picks (as discussed in the other thread). So my answer is (A) - that we expand to 28 players as of this draft. Second question - (A) - I don't think we should increase delistings. I think that mandates unnecessary player churn rather than encouraging medium-long term loyalty to players we have selected, which should be the aim of a keeper league like ours. 6 players to delist is fine .... most of us do this pretty easily and/or exceed that number anyway through delistings and trades with other teams. Chris raises a good point (wether intentional or not). Is this whole discussion about list sizes to get consensus ASAP so it can be applied prior to the MSD?

7. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    Thank you chels. One of the disadvantages of an outer regional league is that it often takes some time for the camel mail to come through, but communications with the north isle are excellent. I think you will find the camel mail is performing abnormally well at this time of year Terry, as the heatwave has started to hit, but somehow we are managing to keep in touch with the goings on in the ORFFA.

8. graeme

graeme Guest

A short commercial for being able to hold rookies without being pressured by de-listing requirements.
    It looks like Tom Mitchell (Sydney) will play his first game this week - round 10, 2013. The Waikiks secured his services in the initial draft a little over 12 months ago and have held him through thick and thin in the hope that he might turn out ok. Now we get our first chance (touch wood) to see how he performs in an afl environment. It's bloody exciting and part of what a 'keeper' or a long term league is about.
    Perhaps others have a similar story or you are hoping someone in your squad gets a first game soon.
    Let's make sure we can invest in the future. If you have thought about your team and reckon sticking with 26 allows you to do that - then that's fine by me and I'll happily abide by the decision made by the association. If you are not sure - think about that early rookie draft pick you want to see play for your team. How down will you be if you have to de-list him and see him turn into a champion in another team. Sure, you had the choice to hold him and de-list someone else, but is what a keeper league is about?
    Again, if you reckon making those tough decisions is the hallmark of a great coach and 26 makes that more challenging, then I'll go with the consensus.
    end of commercial

9. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

good to see the Waikiks at the bleeding edge with advertising Chels /Portals/0/User%20Images/Qr-cow.jpg' style='width: 700px; height: 436px;

10. TerryinBangkok

Bandit wrote:
    TerryinBangkok wrote:
    Thank you chels. One of the disadvantages of an outer regional league is that it often takes some time for the camel mail to come through, but communications with the north isle are excellent. I think you will find the camel mail is performing well abnormally at this time of year Terry, as the heatwave has started to hit, but somehow we are managing to keep in touch with the goings on in the ORFFA. Sorry, forgot you were tending the herd. /Portals/0/User%20Images/Camel%20Kissing.jpg

11. TerryinBangkok

gravenger wrote:
    Chris raises a good point (wether intentional or not). Is this whole discussion about list sizes to get consensus ASAP so it can be applied prior to the MSD? Ummm, yes, I guess you could say that. Along with the fact that we have kicked this thing around quite a bit already. Without going over all the old ground, if we are going to do it, now is the appropriate time and (if approved) we would have the opportunity to season's end to gauge its effects and possibly raise the spectre of delistment numbers at that time, based on our experience. The idea, currently in the formative stage, is that the extra squaddies (if approved) would be picked up in a serpentine draft as an addendum to the MSD. If everyone is happy at year's end, the real effects would be more likely seen in next year's PSD.

12. grav

grav Guest

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    gravenger wrote:
    Chris raises a good point (wether intentional or not). Is this whole discussion about list sizes to get consensus ASAP so it can be applied prior to the MSD? Ummm, yes, I guess you could say that. Along with the fact that we have kicked this thing around quite a bit already. Without going over all the old ground, if we are going to do it, now is the appropriate time and (if approved) we would have the opportunity to season's end to gauge its effects and possibly raise the spectre of delistment numbers at that time, based on our experience. The idea, currently in the formative stage, is that the extra squaddies (if approved) would be picked up in a serpentine draft as an addendum to the MSD. If everyone is happy at year's end, the real effects would be more likely seen in next year's PSD. Thanks TiB, although not approved I was keen to clarify as I will have Bear filling in for me in the draft.

13. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

chels wrote:
    A short commercial for being able to hold rookies without being pressured by de-listing requirements. It looks like Tom Mitchell (Sydney) will play his first game this week - round 10, 2013. The Waikiks secured his services in the initial draft a little over 12 months ago and have held him through thick and thin in the hope that he might turn out ok. Now we get our first chance (touch wood) to see how he performs in an afl environment. It's bloody exciting and part of what a 'keeper' or a long term league is about.
    Perhaps others have a similar story or you are hoping someone in your squad gets a first game soon.
    Let's make sure we can invest in the future. If you have thought about your team and reckon sticking with 26 allows you to do that - then that's fine by me and I'll happily abide by the decision made by the association. If you are not sure - think about that early rookie draft pick you want to see play for your team. How down will you be if you have to de-list him and see him turn into a champion in another team. Sure, you had the choice to hold him and de-list someone else, but is what a keeper league is about? Again, if you reckon making those tough decisions is the hallmark of a great coach and 26 makes that more challenging, then I'll go with the consensus. end of commercial Chels - absolutely perfectly put. That's exactly what this thing is about. Tommy Mitchell is a great example. I had one of my own last year which didn't go so well in Gary Rohan. Wanted to hold him, held him but ended up trading him (not delisting him) because I couldn't keep him (or at least I was worried I couldn't keep him if he wasn't playing). Since then I picked up Dom Tyson. Hasn't played for me yet. He could've been someone else from the draft who is actually getting games - and there's been a couple of times I wished he was as I got smashed with injuries the first 6 weeks of the year. But he's getting there now and I'll be really happy when he plays - I've stuck with him.

14. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    gravenger wrote:
    Chris raises a good point (wether intentional or not). Is this whole discussion about list sizes to get consensus ASAP so it can be applied prior to the MSD? Ummm, yes, I guess you could say that. Along with the fact that we have kicked this thing around quite a bit already. Without going over all the old ground, if we are going to do it, now is the appropriate time and (if approved) we would have the opportunity to season's end to gauge its effects and possibly raise the spectre of delistment numbers at that time, based on our experience. The idea, currently in the formative stage, is that the extra squaddies (if approved) would be picked up in a serpentine draft as an addendum to the MSD. If everyone is happy at year's end, the real effects would be more likely seen in next year's PSD. So TiB - is this how it will go if the option to expand things goes through? We'll have the MSD where people would have a varied number of picks depending on how many delistings or trades they've done in order to ensure our squads are at 26. Then EVERYONE would pick two players in a separate snake draft to bring the lists up to 28. Thanks.

15. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

<p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Increase squad size: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) 28 <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) 30 <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]c) none <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Increase delistments: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) 8 (i.e. final squad = 22) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]After more consideration I favour no changes - C and A

16. TerryinBangkok

Voting will close 5pm (AEST) Sunday.

17. bama

bama Active Member

I vote for B and A

18. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

<p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Increase squad size: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) 28 <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Increase delistments: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) No

19. snoz

snoz Moderator

Increase squad size Yes....to 28 Increase delistments NO....6 yearly

20. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

<p style='line-height: 14.25pt;]I agree with Fitzy and vote: <p style='line-height: 14.25pt;] <p style='line-height: 14.25pt;]c) keep squad size the same and <p style='line-height: 14.25pt;] <p style='line-height: 14.25pt;]a) no increase to delistments <p style='line-height: 14.25pt;] <p style='line-height: 14.25pt;]I don't think we should change list numbers mid-season. <p style='line-height: 14.25pt;] <p style='line-height: 14.25pt;]I have always been able to field a full 15 man team but can understand people being frustrated and losing motivation if they are unable to field a full team. I would be happy for the list size to be increased to 28 for the 2014 season to help alleviate this problem.