The Far Kew Issue

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Feb 20, 2013.

1. snoz

snoz Moderator

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    Skipping. Let's not suggest the Frog case is setting a precedent. The normal draft rule, as laid out, is that after 18 hours you fail to show up, your pick is passed over and the draft continues. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, you get to take that pick in the next round. This is designed for coaches who, for possibly no good reason at all, did not turn up at the appointed hour or within 18 hours of the time thereof. It does not eliminate the problem of a disinterested coach, but it does provide some incentive to be a participant. In the case of the Frogs, however, the rule has been applied with the difference being that the #7 is no longer available in any round. That is because it is known that Nick is not a participant now, nor in the future. Thus a penalty applies. Some might suggest that this is putting any new coach at a disadvantage. Debatable. Look at our two latest coaches and look at the odds CR is giving for them. It is possible to trade your way in. So the Frog's case is a bit unusual, otherwise the normal rule above is applied. TigersTooTough is interested, but due to Year 12 commitments this year can't be as active as he would like in forums, etc. He has acknowledged the need to enter a team each week. He has also been appraised of being in for the long haul. Fitzy is annoyed that Nick refused to trade with him, so he is offering up another 'mate'. [span style='color: #7030a0;]At this stage I would appreciate views of all coaches, except Nick, on the proposal for TigersTooTough to inherit the Far Kew franchise. ......hhmm, so I get up at 6am wondering what I missed overnight, holy crap !! +1 to TiB's post above ~ rules are rules, end story, no community pick, no nothing, time elapsed thus you lose yourpick. A big :) to BB whoonce again helps us out, the honorary ORFFA Orange boy.....would love to have BB take over the team but also have no prob if the masses decide on TigersNOTtooTough.

2. J_C

J_C Guest

<p class='Quote]Simonoz wrote: ......hhmm, so I get up at 6am wondering what I missed overnight, holy crap !! Just your average, quiet day in ORFFA-land. :p

3. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

More than happy for TTT to take over the team. I must admit though, if there wasn't someone in mind my wife (and occasional TS visitor) Jen volunteered as well! Thanks to BB for his temporary stewardship of the franchise in question as well.

4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

What a delight it was to read this thread :) <br/> <br/>So many great thoughts going around. And they really deserve more of a response than what I am providing... <br/> <br/>TiB, fwiw, I reckon you're doing a fantastic job! <br/> <br/>Just quickly, <br/> <br/> <br/>* Agree that the calendar of events is a must have, year to year <br/>* I'm in support of TTT getting the gig <br/>* I think the sooner the better - ideally he could be able to take pick 25. Which would most likely be tomorrow (Wednesday) evening, as pick 18 won't be til after COB. I think that's better than having BB take it on <br/>* I'm happy to give my contact details to whoever is delegated. Probably should be someone in Australia <br/>* I like the idea of having to confirm ongoing interest each year <br/>* also, that there should be strict penalties for missing the delistments deadline <br/>* I also support that pick 7 should now be taken as the final pick of the draft. <br/> <br/> <br/>Well, I've prob missed something, but that'll do for now.

5. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

anthak wrote:
    What a delight it was to read this thread :)

So many great thoughts going around. And they really deserve more of a response than what I am providing...

TiB, fwiw, I reckon you're doing a fantastic job!

Just quickly,

* Agree that the calendar of events is a must have, year to year
    * I'm in support of TTT getting the gig
    * I think the sooner the better - ideally he could be able to take pick 25. Which would most likely be tomorrow (Wednesday) evening, as pick 18 won't be til after COB. I think that's better than having BB take it on
    * I'm happy to give my contact details to whoever is delegated. Probably should be someone in Australia
    * I like the idea of having to confirm ongoing interest each year
    * also, that there should be strict penalties for missing the delistments deadline
    * I also support that pick 7 should now be taken as the final pick of the draft.

Well, I've prob missed something, but that'll do for now. Saves me typing it all.... +1

6. J_C

J_C Guest

I really don't care who takes over the team, so long as we're not doing all of this again this time next year. So let me just emphasise something for anyone reading this who's interested in taking over a franchise if it becomes available.
    T[span style='line-height: 1.3;]his is a KEEPER league and as such it lasts for more than one season. If that's not for you, or you have a history of losing interest in things quickly, do us all a favour and don't put your hand up. [span style='line-height: 1.3; font-size: 13px;]
    [span style='line-height: 1.3; font-size: 13px;]If it is for you though, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

7. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Bandit wrote:
    anthak wrote:
    What a delight it was to read this thread :)

So many great thoughts going around. And they really deserve more of a response than what I am providing...

TiB, fwiw, I reckon you're doing a fantastic job!

Just quickly,

* Agree that the calendar of events is a must have, year to year
    * I'm in support of TTT getting the gig
    * I think the sooner the better - ideally he could be able to take pick 25. Which would most likely be tomorrow (Wednesday) evening, as pick 18 won't be til after COB. I think that's better than having BB take it on
    * I'm happy to give my contact details to whoever is delegated. Probably should be someone in Australia
    * I like the idea of having to confirm ongoing interest each year
    * also, that there should be strict penalties for missing the delistments deadline
    * I also support that pick 7 should now be taken as the final pick of the draft.

Well, I've prob missed something, but that'll do for now. Saves me typing it all.... +1 Agree with all above.
    Also happy to give my mobile number to someone if they think it will help. We can all get distracted by life's journey and a little SMS enquiring whether you will be making an appearance or not (around the same time as the check in maybe) could speed things along.
    Also would like to put in a vote of confidence for TiB, I think his no nonsense and quick to act attitude is EXACTLY what the other 17 (hopefully) committedcoaches want to keep this show moving in the direction we all envisage,
    Go the Codpieces!

8. grav

grav Guest

Yeah i'll +1 to anthak's post above, well summarised(if I was more tech savvy I could reply to his specific post, alas cant work it out)

9. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Yanno that feeling you get in your guts when you discover that you left your player spreadsheet at work? If I had known Jen was interested Chris, I would not have hesitated. Some of the language around here could do with some cleaning up anyway. Stick around. We are the league with the highest attrition rate. But I do very much feel as Jolcon and bama that enough is enough. If we get a quorum (say 14 coaches agree?) will press ahead. That does not prevent people in voting/promoting Jen or indeed Fitzy's bag of trade mates.

10. TerryinBangkok

I think Jolcon's 'take no prisoners' post had an effect. Probably a good one. This the latest from TTT: 'G'day mate. Have thought about it and read on the ORFFA forum. Look, I'm more than happy for someone else to take over the team. Have heard some other people are interested and if that's the case, they should be the ones to take over. Wouldn't want to let everyone down with my other stuff on. I'll definitely be on TS a fair bit and hopefully still write some articles for the website but I reckon let BlueBeliever or whoever else was interested. Thanks TiB for the help. I look forward to reading some stuff on ORFFA and hopefully the comp goes well. TTT' So now we wait on Jen. All I know is she is the better half of Chris and knocks out a mean SC score, so gets my nod.

11. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I am totally for it assuming that Chris's wife isn't like mine at SC, all she contributed was theemailaddress and contact info for a second account :p

12. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I have, to my knowledge, never actually defeated my better half in a SC matchup in the four or so years we've been playing the game. Jen is pretty good at the game, knows her footy and has even taught me to like Geelong (which, for a Richmond supporter brought up on a diet of Gary Ablett maulings and 100+ losses, is a fair effort).I've sent TiB a note in reply to one he dropped me - he may be best to outline its contents ... I'm thinking a vote will be needed on a couple of things.I'll leave that with him.

13. grav

grav Guest

Yeah i'll give Jen a vote. Should be more of it.
    Sounds like TTT is being pretty honest and gracious, so hats off to him.

14. J_C

J_C Guest

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    I think Jolcon's 'take no prisoners' post had an effect. Probably a good one.
    Not sure about that Terry, but for better or worse, it's out there. That said, if Jen is keen, then that's great! Happy to add my vote.

15. TerryinBangkok

gravenger wrote: Yeah i'll give Jen a vote. Should be more of it. Sounds like TTT is being pretty honest and gracious, so hats off to him. 2 thumbs up.

16. TerryinBangkok

chris88 wrote:
    I have, to my knowledge, never actually defeated my better half in a SC matchup in the four or so years we've been playing the game. Jen is pretty good at the game, knows her footy and has even taught me to like Geelong (which, for a Richmond supporter brought up on a diet of Gary Ablett maulings and 100+ losses, is a fair effort).I've sent TiB a note in reply to one he dropped me - he may be best to outline its contents ... I'm thinking a vote will be needed on a couple of things.I'll leave that with him. Is that a yay or a neigh? Or a plea for help?

17. snoz

snoz Moderator

+1 from me for Jen

18. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

+1 from me, the only concern for me is trade deals now being done in the bedroom!
    Just joking, all for it

19. bama

bama Active Member

I'm all for Jen taking over and as soon as possible so she can have the rest of the selections in the draft.
    As long as there are no sweat heart deals but we can always veto those!

20. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Sounds good get her in!
    On another positive note she cant just vanish on us!