The Real 'FU Rules Discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by Tomster, Aug 28, 2013.

1. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

It took me a bit longer than I thought but I've put together a spreadsheet for us to use throughout the year. I'll be emailing it to the ORFFU google account shortly. Note that I've only put this together to include ORFFU round 1 in case you guys have any feedback or if you find any bugs I haven't noticed yet. In the file you'll see a few worksheets. ORFFU info is just that, info about the league. The Player Lists worksheet will be locked once lists are finalised but I've left it unlocked for now if you want to play around with it. I've based positions on 2013 and done my best to include DPP players in their positions. If you're going to add in players into a team list just be aware that the names are limited to those in this worksheet. I've got 2014 positions but didn't get to including this yet. Ladder runs off the 2013 Round 1 worksheet and Roundbyround results worksheet both of which are locked. The 2013 Round 1 worksheet is where you can select matchups and team lineups and it caters for ORFFU rounds that are across 2 AFL rounds. There is one issue where you can potentially select the same team in more than one match but I've made sure the team name is coloured red when this happens and you'll notice that you can't select a player more than once so this kind of gets around with it. Once you select Yes in cell B6 the score and results info flows through to the Ladder and Roundbyround results worksheets. If you guys can have a look over it and let me know what you think that would be great. I'll incorporate any issues you find or improvements you'd like into the final version that will have all 17 rounds and finals. For those that missed it, there's also a worksheet with all the 2014 player info that I copied across before it got taken down.

2. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

Just realised I put in 2014 positions but based the team lineups on 2013 positions. Feel free to change the team lineups around so it reflects 2014 positions when you're looking through the file and seeing how it works.

3. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

Neither Cox nor Nic-Nat are DPP now?:(

4. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

We may have overlooked one rule gents - inactivity. I know its only preseason (and very early preseason) but 'mick' has been awol for over a month I think and for the rest of us who are all committed and at least pop in with a message of 'wife is having kid, wont be around much' etc I think it's a little foreboding to already come up against some inactivity. I dont know the bloke from a bar of soap and im sure hes a top guy, but I think its only fair to at least ask the question of put up another poll regarding inactivity. SO in light of this, do we start looking for another person or what?

5. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Tend to agree with insider here. Might be a top bloke but he's been MIA for well over a month now I believe, so if he's unable to look in to the site every few days or so, then that may cause a few problems later on.

6. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

insider wrote:
    We may have overlooked one rule gents - inactivity. I know its only preseason (and very early preseason) but 'mick' has been awol for over a month I think and for the rest of us who are all committed and at least pop in with a message of 'wife is having kid, wont be around much' etc I think it's a little foreboding to already come up against some inactivity. I dont know the bloke from a bar of soap and im sure hes a top guy, but I think its only fair to at least ask the question of put up another poll regarding inactivity. SO in light of this, do we start looking for another person or what? I agree with this. Walesy - are you able to sift through the registration details and pull out the email for 'Mick' please? Can you send him an email asking if he wants to remain part of the 'FU? (just realised Walesy might not read this thread, so I'll PM him too...)

7. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

I've sent a fair few PMs to Mick in the past week. Pretty sure they go to email. Either he's avoiding us or he just isn't getting any notification. Do we have any possible replacements for Mick in case he does not want to be in this?
    Coincidentally, it's his pick in the draft. Reckon it won't get started for at least 4 days.

8. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Tomster wrote:
    I've sent a fair few PMs to Mick in the past week. Pretty sure they go to email. Either he's avoiding us or he just isn't getting any notification. Do we have any possible replacements for Mick in case he does not want to be in this?
    Coincidentally, it's his pick in the draft. Reckon it won't get started for at least 4 days. Worst case scenario, we wait until 15 January and if Mick hasn't responded to anyone by then, we will have to kick him out. In the meantime we wait, although I do think we need to start asking around for any interest (just in case).
    It'll be a shame to lose someone so soon, before we've even really started, but better now than half-way through a season.

9. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

So, here are the rules. They need to be updated for current dates, and I've forgotten what we wanted to change. We can do the same poll structure as used last time if we have any contentious issues
    <table id='tblPostBody59787' width='100%' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' align='left' border='0' style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px;] <td align='left' valign='top' style='padding: 0px; border: 0px; text-align: left; width: 100%;] <div id='spBody' class='Forum_Normal] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #ffffff;]1. TEAMS
    (a) Teams should be named after a remote Australian town/place. For consistency's sake.
    (b) Squads of 26 players during competition
    (c) Weekly playing sides will consist of 15 players. 4 Defenders, 4 Midfielders, 1 Ruck, 4 Forwards and 2 Interchange.
    (d) The Interchange players can be of any position. They score full points.
    (e) 4 Emergencies can be selected. 1 emergency per line.They come in if a selected player does not play.
    (f) You can play someone in the wrong position, ie. Cloke in Defence, but they only get half the points.
    (g) SC points and player positions.
    (h) If you don't field a team, you don't get no points. If you do it again, serious questions will be asked about your commitment <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #ffffff;]
    2. FIXTURE
    (a) Teams will play each other once in the regular season. Play will not occur in the 3 bye rounds (8, 9, 10). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #ffffff;](b) One match will be held over the 2 week bye rounds (18, 19) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #ffffff;](c) Finals will be held in the final 3 weeks of the season (21,22,23). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]d) There will be a rolling lockout open during all split rounds. Each time it will close at the start of a game, the exact same as SC <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]e) Any non-split rounds will be locked out at the beginning of the first match of the week <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]f) Matches on Thursday will be locked out at the start of the game, but games for the rest of the round will be locked out at the beginning of the game on Friday <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #ffffff;]3. FINALS
    (a) Final 8, knockout style over 3 weeks (R22-24). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #ffffff;](b) In the first week the Top 3 teams get to choose which team they play in the first week of the finals out of positions 5-8. Eg. 1st gets 1st choice, 2nd gets 2nd choice etc. <div style='background: #ffffff;](c) In the second week of the finals, the four winners from the previous play off in seeded matches, according to the ladder at the end of the regular season. Eg. 1st vs 4th, 2nd vs 3rd. <div style='background: #ffffff;]
    <div style='background: #ffffff;](d) The third week of the finals will consist of one match between the winners of the previous weeks matches. This match is known as the ORFFU Grand Final. <div style='background: #ffffff;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]4. TRADES
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](a) 2014 Preseason Trade Period opens early February after the first draft and closes before the second draft. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](b) You can trade picks (to the preseason 2014 and the midseason 2014 draft) and players. Trades can be uneven (eg. 2 players for 1). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](c) You can only trade draft picks in the 2 drafts directly ahead e.g. as above. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](d) Trades can be vetoed if a majority of 5 non-participating teams cast a veto vote. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](e) Teams will have roughly 48 hours to veto a trade proposed (eg. If a trade is proposed at 2.15pm on a Tuesday, ORFFU coaches have until 10pm on a thursday to cast their votes. I'll be checking/ratifying at 10pm, basically). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](f) Trades posted on ________ will only have until _________ to have vetoes cast. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](g) All proposed trades should be posted in the relevant preseason blog. Likewise, all vetoes should be posted on this thread. I'll tally up the votes and update the OP as required. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;](h)Mid Season Trade Period will occur during the first multi-bye weeks (8, 9, 10)

<p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;]5. DELISTMENTS <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](a) At 7pm EDT, Wednesday February 27th, ORFFU lists can be no greater than 26 players. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](b) To delist players, simply send me a PM detailing who you want cut. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](c) ORFFU lists may be cut to fewer than 20 players. However, if you cut your list to less than 10 players questions will be asked about WTF you're doing with your team in this competition - rightfully so. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](d) If an ORFFU list exceeds 26 players by the deadline mentioned above, players will be delisted from that team for them (2013 averages from lowest to highest) to take the list down to 26 players and the coach will be in serious risk of losing their place in the ORFFU (I would vote for them to be kicked out). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]6. DRAFT
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](a) The draft will commence on the day after SC 2014 positions are announced at 7:00am EST. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](b) 24 hour time limit on picks. If you don't pick within time you will be given the highest ranked player on 2014 averages. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](c) Teams must continue to draft until their lists are at 26 players. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fbfbfb;](d) Mid Season Draft will happen in the last Bye Week (R13). Draft will run in reverse ladder order as of the end of R10. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background: #ffffff;](e) Mid Season Draft is not compulsory to participate in.

(f) There is no salary cap. SC dollars do not exist in this universe.

10. insider

Heres a quick few that i can think of that need absolute 110% black and white clarification onnon-team-entry (once off)
    non-team-entry (multiple times)
    tanking provisions?
    compulsory posting to weekly team thread?
    off season trade period?
    pre season draft start date? rookie list/undrafted player/injury list ?

11. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

Can't remember who but someone mentioned that they'd be in favour of increasing list sizes or having an additional list for LTIs on the proviso that a minimum number of delistments each year prior to the national draft be mandatory.

I ended up voting against delistments at the beginning of the year primarily to get the rule across but would like an option in any poll that if we are increasing list sizes for there being mandatory delistments as well.

12. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

Might have been me that mentioned it. I'm pretty sure the ORFFL teams have 2 more on their lists with 3 mandatory delistments each season. I too voted against it last time, but would probably reconsider if the above scenario was the way we went. It would add a minimum of 54 players to the draft pool and I think it would make things a little more interesting. We are, after all, going to delist at least 1 each aren't we?

13. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

I voted for it last year (manditory delisting) cause I didn't want to see hoarding of players. ORFFA only recently increased their list by 2 to help with the injury and player management issue.

Weather it be by vote or just the board deciding I'd like to put it up as a rule change:

Squad of 28 (ie increase of 2 players) to be done at our next PSD
    Manditory 3 delistments per year (starting at the end of season 2015).

14. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

My $0.02:

Non-entry of teams: first two times - no punishment. 3rd time - loss of 1st round PSD pick. 4th time - loss of 2nd round PSD pick and the League votes as to whether to retain the team or not. On all occasions the last team entered by the coach is deemed to have played.

Squad size: I think 26 is a reasonable size. That gives us 11 spots to cover injuries and hold some developing players. Imho list management shouldn't be easy in a keeper league, and adding an extra 2 spots (either on the full list, or as a separate LTI list) isn't needed.

15. insider

DamoH wrote:

My $0.02:

Non-entry of teams: first two times - no punishment. 3rd time - loss of 1st round PSD pick. 4th time - loss of 2nd round PSD pick and the League votes as to whether to retain the team or not. On all occasions the last team entered by the coach is deemed to have played.

Squad size: I think 26 is a reasonable size. That gives us 11 spots to cover injuries and hold some developing players. Imho list management shouldn't be easy in a keeper league, and adding an extra 2 spots (either on the full list, or as a separate LTI list) isn't needed. im on board with both points. i detest mandatory delistment. i can never see why anyones potential foresight or boldness for drafting a sleeper should be compromised just to help those who arent so inclined

16. ddsaints

ddsaints Guest

DamoH wrote:

My $0.02:

Squad size: I think 26 is a reasonable size. That gives us 11 spots to cover injuries and hold some developing players. Imho list management shouldn't be easy in a keeper league, and adding an extra 2 spots (either on the full list, or as a separate LTI list) isn't needed. Agree with Damo. List problems are good to have, keeps me thinking

17. ddsaints

ddsaints Guest

My thoughts are that any failure to enter team should never result in a win ever but should not be given a score of 0 because this is tanking. Not fair for coaches who move down the draft order because of others failing to put a team in. Entering previous weeks teams is a good idea as long as a loss is credited to the team. Hope I make sense

18. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

All good points re: squad size and delistments. I see we're you guys are coming from, natural attrition or rookies will most probably be the driver to delist away.

Hope to hear from a couple more coaches to get their thoughts so we know we're the majority want the rules.

On the no team fielded issue, we should have something like all teams posted on the thread if saving doesn't work or can't do because you're on a mobile. Not sure from a system point that you can post a team and don't get the 4 points. I think if a team gets posted by coach or default then that teams gets the points.

I think on the tanking side it needs to be brought to the attention of the BOM and a decision made immediately including penalties as I think that needs to be dealt with case-by-case.

Happy to hear more on all these issues.

19. choppers

I agree with Yad here insomuch that any team not entered by 1st lockout, then their team from the preceding round gets entered on their behalf and gets the points should they win. They then also incur any penalty that the BOM see fit for not entering their team by the prescribed deadline. I would also like to see some sort of system where teams listed at lockout can be checked and recorded, so if someone changes their team during the course of the round, then it can be easily determined, and an appropriate penalty issued.

20. choppers

As far as delistments go, I'm easy. I'm neither for nor against mandatory delistments.