The Real 'FU Rules Discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by Tomster, Aug 28, 2013.

1. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

Love the idea of a google group. Is there a plan to put together a doc that details our decisions on rules? (apologies if i have missed that suggestion through the pages already)

2. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

wright, I can put together a document if that is what we want, although does the opening post not suffice?

3. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think a recap with all the final rules will be good. But just a dot-point... ie Teams - 15, (4, 4,1, 2, 4) etc etc What I am confused about is that on the opening page it states - interchange players score full points but emergency players out of position score half? what is the diff between interchange and emerg? Sorry for not getting it!

4. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

martyg wrote:
    Yeah, I think a recap with all the final rules will be good. But just a dot-point... ie Teams - 15, (4, 4,1, 2, 4) etc etc What I am confused about is that on the opening page it states - interchange players score full points but emergency players out of position score half? what is the diff between interchange and emerg? Sorry for not getting it! Hey mate My understanding is that interchange is another line, just like D, M, R and F. However the players on it can be from any position and score full points. Emergencies are listed for a line (like in Supercoach) and come in should a named player not play. If they are out of position then they only score 50%. To give a (ridiculous) example: If I name Buddy as my Defence emergency and Goddard doesn't play, then Buddy comes in. I only get 50% of his score though as he's out of position. This is how I imagine it would work even if I had a Defence eligible playeron the interchange. I.e. the D emergency takes the place of the injured Dplayer, rather than interchange becoming a defender and then an emergency becoming interchange.

5. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

Spot on DamoH

6. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Got it... Thanks.

7. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

Hey guys, Sorry to intrude on your thread - was bored at work and all the history was a good read!
    I just wanted to comment on the forced delistings - I don't believe (or at least my opinion) the ORFFL introduced that rule for equality reasons (although it does have that effect), but more of the fact that the drafts in future years will be interesting. Having a minimum 6 round draft (108+ picks) provides much more entertainment than coaches delisting 1 or 2 players only and having ~40 picks. Come February when SC opens you guys will be begging for more action! By all means stick with what you got and we can have a live comparison against ORFFL/A, but just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
    Other than that everything looks good and can't wait to eavesdrop on your draft(s)!

8. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

I was originally for mandatory delist but then I realised that good sides will only drop token players and time inevitibly makes delisting mandatory. Also, the idea of non-mandatory adds a little uncertainty to the mix. We're using rounds 8-10 as a trading, delisting and draft time. The only bad part in my view is we have to wait for summer for the iron to heat up. I guess at the end of next year, the debate might come upagain as to end of yeardelistings... P.S. What happened to the ORFFL Forum, the last post was at least 4 months ago.

9. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

DamoH wrote:
    martyg wrote:
    Yeah, I think a recap with all the final rules will be good. But just a dot-point... ie Teams - 15, (4, 4,1, 2, 4) etc etc What I am confused about is that on the opening page it states - interchange players score full points but emergency players out of position score half? what is the diff between interchange and emerg? Sorry for not getting it! Hey mate My understanding is that interchange is another line, just like D, M, R and F. However the players on it can be from any position and score full points. Emergencies are listed for a line (like in Supercoach) and come in should a named player not play. If they are out of position then they only score 50%. To give a (ridiculous) example: If I name Buddy as my Defence emergency and Goddard doesn't play, then Buddy comes in. I only get 50% of his score though as he's out of position. This is how I imagine it would work even if I had a Defence eligible playeron the interchange. I.e. the D emergency takes the place of the injured Dplayer, rather than interchange becoming a defender and then an emergency becoming interchange. So, is this right... IC is a seperate line and cannot be replaced by Emergency, also Es score normal if positions match, 50% if strange. The no-shield clause on ICs makes up for their wildcard status.

10. YAD69

Holky, <a name='_GoBack][/url]IC's are like your bench, emergencies are dedicated to an on-field player. However looking at the rule it only states: '4 Emergencies can be selected. 1 emergency per line. They come in if a selected player does not play' so technically you might get away with one on your IC however another line will miss out as you only have 4 emergencies. Perhaps a clarification from the Commissioner might be in order.

11. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

The ORFFL discussion is usually all done in blog posts as a number of the guys have posting permissions. During the year we have a preview and review article every round, and the topics should start up again around January for some preview analysis for the season.
    IC is basically treated as an extra line, so you can have an emergency for it. Typically it's more popular to have an IC emergency over a R emergency as there are 2 possible late exclusions it could cover, unless your Ruck is under an injury cloud.

12. Tomster

Clarification: You pick 19 players each week. 15 play. The other 4 are emergencies. In your starting squad, you select 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 1 ruckman, 4 forwards and 2 interchange.

13. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Tomster wrote:
    Clarification: You pick 19 players each week. 15 play. The other 4 are emergencies. In your starting squad, you select 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 1 ruckman, 4 forwards and 2 interchange. dunno if that was always the case but if so im not as dirty on interchange being passed. i vetoed it/wanted half score but if its only 2 spots then its bearable. even if i still hated it, tough shit for me i spose cause it got voted in! hahaha

14. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

Apologies if this was answered but I read through all 4 pages and I couldn't really see a ruling on a scenario so will pose the question as it's caused a bit of a halt to my spreadsheeting.
    What happens to a team's score if an IC player does not play for the week? Seeing as there is no IC emergency line does an IC score even get covered in these cases or does something like the highest/lowest IC score get assigned?

15. Tomster

A player from any position can fill in for an IC player not playing. To make sure that people won't come up with any devious and cunning plans it would be the lowest scoring emergency player

16. YAD69

Guys, you get 4 emergencies and you can choose what line they are assigned to. If you don't assign or that line that has no emergency and a player doesn't play/score you get zero for a score. Choose wisely who your emergency is and on what line you assignthem to.

17. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

fresh wrote:
    Apologies if this was answered but I read through all 4 pages and I couldn't really see a ruling on a scenario so will pose the question as it's caused a bit of a halt to my spreadsheeting. What happens to a team's score if an IC player does not play for the week? Seeing as there is no IC emergency line does an IC score even get covered in these cases or does something like the highest/lowest IC score get assigned? I think its been answered well enough above, but my take would be that emergencies cover only their respective line. Ifan IC player doesn't play then the lowest scoring (unused) emergency would cover the IC player (with the whole non-zero thing also coming into consideration).

18. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks guys. Will input that into the scoring formula.

19. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

Tomster wrote:
    A player from any position can fill in for an IC player not playing. To make sure that people won't come up with any devious and cunning plans it would be the lowest scoring emergency player That would equalise (somewhat) the advantage of using ICs. ICs themselves are not officially a line but can still be partially covered by E-listers. Could still work it into a 'devious and cunning plan'.

20. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Did anyone get a copy of the 2014 player listing from Walesy before he removed it?