Tour de France Fantasy Games

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by port_leschenault, Jun 20, 2012.

1. pbabs

pbabs New Member

Hi guys
    Currently ranked 1 in the sbs comp, but already used the bonus stage. Also had top four in my squad for stage 1. So really happy with the start.

I have gathered the following rules
    Always start with green and yellow jerseys on your team
    I want at least three trades to use on day 7? Just before they expire. Have five let this period.
    Will be interesting seeing who main sprinters are tonight, then make last two trades.
    Tony Martin crashed so may have to trade out incase he abandons.

Will keep watching with interest

2. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Oh wow nice one pbabs!

What's your reasoning behind saving the trades? Are you planning on using them in the narrow window open, after the stage transfer deadline (6pm) and the new transfers coming in (12am) before stage 7?

3. graeme

graeme Guest

many thanks pbas, your comments are really appreciated. The TS spirit is alive and well among the cycling fraternity. So port another round of kudos are in order - well done mon ami.

I have played a few fantasy games over the years, but when in stage one I had the first four I thought I would do well. But being TS I went back a couple of placings - feck me, how tough is this league?

And how tough are the participants both on and off the bikes?

allez, allez

4. pbabs

pbabs New Member

At the moment I have essentially a sprint squad so need to change to tt and gc guys at the end of this period. As the second week is more mountainous and has a tt.

The second trade period will be harder as the last stages are quite diverse with sprint tt and mountains. There are also more breakaways which makes picking the top finishers harder.

Need to go and look at the time for trades and study stages again and again as things change quickly. I didn't bring in gripel last night in time so lost a big lot of points with an injured tony Martin in my team.

Need to keep reading who crashes because that significantly influences finishing positions for a few days

5. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

Lol got an email today telling me who is/isnt performing in my team.

<blockquote>The Overall Best Current Team Components Are:
    Team Team Sky
    Cyclist Edvald Boasson Hagen
    Cyclist Fabian Cancellara
    Cyclist Peter Sagan

Team components you may want to change.
    Your Four Poorest Performing Team Components Are:
    1 Rider Marcel Kittel
    2 Rider Fabian Cancellara
    3 Rider Jose Joaquin Rojas
    4 Rider Matt Goss

</blockquote>

6. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Catch me if you can guys! Pretty happy to have the top 5 finishers yesterday after that crash took out a few of the favourites!
    Luke's Blind Mice Cycling is looking very strong. Will shoot right up to near the top overall after Stage 8 if he brings in enough climbers for that stage. Also Chels (I think thats your squad) may jump to the top of the league after tonights stage. Good luck.
    Looking forward to Stage 7 on Sat night, will be a cracker!

7. frostylane

frostylane New Member

My trading is as good as supercoach.

Stage 2 traded in Cancellera - missed all his big points.

Stage 3 traded in Gilbert (mechanical problems 168th) , Chavanel (went too early) & Valverde (missed the last corner).

Stage 4 traded in Farrar (finished 185th)

Stage 5 my double points tonight. Just warning everyone I will be trading In Petacchi and Veelers or Renshaw.

At least in Velogames I am now 118 overall - must have done something right there.

So enjoying watching the tour de france this year and following my riders. Thanks Port for starting the comp.

8. graeme

graeme Guest

thanks for the shout UA, celery = chels = graeme c; basic algebra. :D

Stage 5 is also my bonus points stage. Will M. Kittel come right, more chance now that frosty appears not to have selected him.

Thanks again port for enlivening the early hours.

9. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Yeah I thought that was your team, guess I must have missed those classes when that type of algebra was taught!
    You are less than 125 points behind me, so as long as yesterdays crash doesn't affect some of the top sprinters today then you should finish tonight slightly ahead I'd say. I'd be getting rid of Kittel, he's been terrible so far!

10. graeme

graeme Guest

In the first paragraph of his (ghost written) autobiography Wally Grout said something like "my father gave me two rules to live my life by: never back an even money favourite at Randwick and never give a sucker an even break."

Many thanks for the helpful advice UA!

11. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Will you blokes up the front not ride so close together please!

Supposed to be a Tour of magical scenic countryside views, castles, churches etc., blah, blah........

All I can see from the back of the pelaton is.............arses!!

12. graeme

graeme Guest

every so often we fall over and give a different view HM. Enjoy my friend, the climbing is almost upon us.

13. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Still two more sprint stages to go! Reckon the youngster has that Green jersey sown up. How about that celebration? :D

14. graeme

graeme Guest

both have been very cool, I loved the comment that if you don't like Sagan's celebration there is one way to stop him celebrating!

15. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

16. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

As the first weekly trade deadline is approaching I have a question for those that may have already completed a trade after the 6pm lockout but before the stage had been completed.
    I have 3 trades remaining and I want to use them after the 6pm lockout but before the the next batch of trades are allocated to maximize my trades and points. My question is if I make a trade, for example Cavendish to Wiggins after 6pm, will I still get points from Cavendish at the end of the stage or get zero points from Wiggins?

17. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

L6 - To answer your question, if you make a trade after the deadline, then you will still get points that night for the person you initally had before the deadline, so in your example, you would receive points for Cavendish.
    However, I would be a bit careful with this. I have nothing to go on here, but there is a chance that at lockout today, you will lose all of your remaining trades for this week and then you will be issued 7 new trades at midnight. Once again I could totally be wrong, but there is a strong possibility that this could be the case.

18. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I have joined late on the SBS site one

19. graeme

graeme Guest

L6, I did that move last year. My recollection is that there is a window between 1800 AEST and 2359 AEST. If you still have Cav at 180 hours you get the points in that stage, but if you trade in Wiggo you get his points in the next stage.
    "Transfer Deadlines

All transfers must be made by 18.00 AEST on the day each stage is raced.

Only those cyclists and the team named in your Tour de France Fantasy team by the transfer deadline will score points for that stage. That means any transfes that you make to your team after the deadline will not score points until the following stage.

Cyclists will only score points from the time/date they have been transferred into your team. Time of transfers will only be recorded as per the server clock (displayed in the bottom right hand side of the screen). We will not enter into discussion about times of transfer, or backdate points for any reason."

UA, yes there is a risk but it is a minimal, manageable risk. If this sounds like puffery in a prospectus for derivatives you might be right.

I will be putting two trades in during the window L6. Or one if as seems increasingly likely, Tyler Farrar does not look like starting stage 6. :D Betfair currently have no short or long quote on him for stage 6.

20. graeme

graeme Guest

1905hrs AEST made my two carry over transfers; Wiggo and one other in place for the next week and seven transfers will be available in the next week. The top left corner of the recorded my transfers down from 2 available to none available (without penalty).

Moral of the story: if you have unused transfers from the "first week" use them before 2359 AEST or lose them forever.

PS - do not understand why Betfair have no market for Tyler Farrar - would hate to lose points.