TS NBA - 16/17 promotion & relegation

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by anthak, Sep 22, 2016.

By anthak on Sep 22, 2016 at 9:02 PM
  1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

For the past 3 seasons we have had 4 leagues of 12 with promotion and relegation between them up and down.
    This season will be the first under a new format, where there will still be a Premier league and a Division 1, however all other leagues will sit directly under Div 1 and all feed into it directly and equally. This will make the path to the Premier league quicker for new teams and other teams in the lower leagues.

We need to decide how many teams will move between each league...

Before we go there, first lets have a look at how the current commitments stand from last year's players.

Premier
    HEAVER, Rev, anthak, stowie, dabombers, bgt2110, Steve, karlos, Mick, rodgo, ddsaints, yumcha

Div 1
    LiQuiD_SiXx, Ruddy, Chris White, costak, jasmine, pearcey47, crossy, twoeyec, doolz, Don_Cottagers, tasho, lethal (has confirmed via espn but not TS)

Conferences
    G-Train, walesy, owen, headmandude, fez, nicksnow, underachievers, Rad_E_Cool, HEATalicious, maggots, OutKast_au, trav00, Spurs_jay, macca118, Danners, smokinjoemisiti, chris88, Lano24, Emes, that KI guy, Jamie___, Peaches, jmulldihno, BradM

new:
    ViQBoZ, Bearfly, port_leschenault

Thanks to everyone who has recommitted thus far. We're still waiting to hear from 7 people, and there's also lethal who sent me a PM on ESPN but I asked him to comment in here as well.

Also, 5 players have dropped out (sorry to see you go) and there are 3 new players (welcome!).

If anyone knows anyone who might want to join in, let them know to post in here.

Onto the promotion and relegation rules for this season.

Firstly, we propose that we keep the same exemptions as last season:
    Exemptions:
    ** Any teams that make the playoffs/finals are exempt from relegation.
    ** And the get-out wildcard clause if you do happen to find yourself in the relegation zone.
    - Anyone who wins all 3 games during playoffs/finals is exempt from relegation; and the lowest ranked at end of regular season will be relegated in their stead (that isnt already being relegated of course).​

and, we propose that the same rules continue for the teams swapping between premier and div 1:
    Promotion:
    The 3 teams going up from Div 1 to Premier will be:
    the GF winning team;
    the team with the best regular season 'Points For' (excluding GF winner of course);
    And (excluding 2 already promoted teams) the team with the best rank during regular season.

Relegation:
    The 3 teams going down from Premier to Div 1 will be:
    the bottom team at the end of the regular season;
    and (excluding the team with the worst reg season record) the two teams with the lowest 'Points For' at the end of our regular season.​

Regarding how many teams swap between division 1 and the conference leagues. We would like to propose that the top 6 teams in division 1 are safe from relegation - this allows for both of the above exemptions to still be possible, giving more meaning to late season games. 6 teams would be relegated from Division 1. If there is 1 conference league, 6 will be promoted. If there are 2 conference leagues, 3 would be promoted from each. If there are 3 conference leagues, 2 would be promoted from each.

Please let us know in the comments of this thread if you disagree with the above proposals and why. If there are alternative views, we could have a vote.

Please comment in the thread if any questions.

• Like Like x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by anthak, Sep 22, 2016.

• Tags:
    1. anthak
      anthak
      @crossy I made a mistake with this! It is 6 teams that make the finals, I forgot, thinking it was 5.... So the wildcards do get stuffed up in Div 1 if 6 get relegated :(
      Unless we change to top5 finals system
      Or, as you suggested, only 5 get relegated

I propose that only 5 get relegated from div 1.

Could have top 2 in each conference league getting promoted, maybe minor premier and the champion, and then the 5th team getting promoted could be the team with best points-for across both leagues.
    2. crossy
      crossy
      @anthak - no worries mate, I quite like the 5 up and 5 down idea, think the minor premier and champion of both leagues is a great idea, then highest points for for fifth spot sounds spot on, happy to hear some other ideas though for sure :)
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Rad_E_Cool
      Rad_E_Cool
      Even though I'm not really a fan of the wildcard thing, I support this as a compromise. It works with us having 2 conference leagues, but may have to be changed if we get another conference league next year.
      • Like Like x 1