TS Super Leagues 2012

Discussion in 'Leagues' started by TerryinBangkok, Jul 23, 2011.

1. BleedingPurpleAndWhite

BleedingPurpleAndWhite New Member

So if my understanding is correct, if I slot into the 16-18 teams in the WA league, it is all just a normal team with players from around every club?
    Then, there could end up being one team with a bunch of WAérs featring a team of all players who orginated in WA and/or started there careers in a WA Club?

Just would like to be corrected so i get the full concept.

Cheers
    (Great idea if I get the concept) ;)

2. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

I'll happily admin the Swans/Roys league if there is enough interest...

So far we are way short, know of Kel, KissKiss and myself!

3. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

BP&W - Correct. A State of Origin WA team could only be formed after you have filled your 16-18 in the WA League and there is a Super League created for that SoO to compete in.

Just taking the State of Origin idea a little further, it is apparent that some States would find it hard to put together a competitive side, but it could well be feasible for Vic. Metro, Vic. Country, SA and WA. Sample below:

DEF
    Scotland Baccus Marsh
    Gibbs Glenelg
    Goddard Traralgon/Gippsland Power
    Fisher West Adelaide
    Deledio Kyabram/Murray Bushrangers
    Newman Dandenong Stingrays
    Enright Port Adelaide
    Birchall Tassie Mariners
    Broughton Subiaco
    R. Murphy Warragul/Gippsland Power

MID
    Pendles Sale/Gippsland Power
    Murphy Oakleigh Chargers
    Judd Sandringham Dragons
    NDS Bendigo Pioneers
    Boyd Dandenong Stingrays
    A. Swallow East Fremantle
    GAJ Geelong Falcons
    Priddis Subiaco
    Griffen South Adelaide
    Swan Calder Cannons

4. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

Really interesting concept. For what it’s worth, I think the concept of choosing 16 coaches based in each state who collaborate and select a State list from the entire AFL player pool (rather than choosing a list of players originating from each state) has a greater potential to be a better league, otherwise I honestly think the 2 VIC teams would dominate any competition (given the strong history of the VFL), some of the other states would struggle to list a good side with enough depth to allow for playing rookies, fast moo’ing cash-cows, injuries though out the season etc. States vs states (+ other teams to make up 16) playoff every week during the league for bragging rights - after all isn’t the entire concept to be the greatest ‘Coach’? So everyone starting with the same options to choose a list from, and making the right calls during the season seems to warrant the bragging rights. Either way I rate the idea and am keen to get involved although I’d suggest the VIC Metro league may just be slightly popular.

5. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

just had a quick look at the top 1000 standings and about 76% are from Victoria - just a guess but even with a Vic Metro/Vic Country split you would think the other states may find it tough to compete with whichever of these ends up being stronger??

6. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from 22nd_best_on_Field on August 3, 2011, 10:54
    Really interesting concept. For what it’s worth, I think the concept of choosing 16 coaches based in each state who collaborate and select a State list from the entire AFL player pool (rather than choosing a list of players originating from each state) has a greater potential to be a better league, otherwise I honestly think the 2 VIC teams would dominate any competition (given the strong history of the VFL), some of the other states would struggle to list a good side with enough depth to allow for playing rookies, fast moo’ing cash-cows, injuries though out the season etc. States vs states (+ other teams to make up 16) playoff every week during the league for bragging rights - after all isn’t the entire concept to be the greatest ‘Coach’? So everyone starting with the same options to choose a list from, and making the right calls during the season seems to warrant the bragging rights. Either way I rate the idea and am keen to get involved although I’d suggest the VIC Metro league may just be slightly popular.

</blockquote>
    I agree with all of this! Even the bit about rating the idea either way.

7. Sainter

Sainter New Member

It all depends on whether the Super League's aim is;
    1. To finish the highest as they can out of every SC league - (finishing 1st - top 20)
    OR
    2. So TSers can come out and represent their own state and their own players

8. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

In my opinion its the coaches, not the players, that matter - thus all teams should be able to select from the entire league, and we compare the coaches from each state with the expats, donors, better halves, etc

9. shanaz

shanaz New Member

i agree with JPK, it would be fairer across the scale if we were allowed to choose from all the players across the states

10. TerryinBangkok

Okay, detect a bit of a mood swing here. Don't quite get ant's comment about rating either way, but never mind. Having read 22's contribution 3 times, would have to say it is sound advice.

It would have been great to see Origin sides, particularly when so many of the rookies are stolen interstate. But that idea is player based and not coach based. Equally, if we follow the original concept, the TS-Bombers would have to have all Essendon players, and we know that simply doesn't work. I gave some thought to "at least 50&#37; of players from the state", but that gets messy too.

So happy to go with the flow and representative teams selected in the normal manner from the total pool.

Before we get there though, got to fill up all those state and team leagues first, and suspect it will be first in, best dressed.

11. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on August 6, 2011, 12:53
    Okay, detect a bit of a mood swing here. Don't quite get ant's comment about rating either way, but never mind. Having read 22's contribution 3 times, would have to say it is sound advice.

It would have been great to see Origin sides, particularly when so many of the rookies are stolen interstate. But that idea is player based and not coach based. Equally, if we follow the original concept, the TS-Bombers would have to have all Essendon players, and we know that simply doesn't work. I gave some thought to "at least 50&#37; of players from the state", but that gets messy too.

So happy to go with the flow and representative teams selected in the normal manner from the total pool.

Before we get there though, got to fill up all those state and team leagues first, and suspect it will be first in, best dressed.</blockquote>

It was in reference to this TiB:
    <blockquote>Quote from 22nd_best_on_Field on August 3, 2011, 10:54 Either way I rate the idea and am keen to get involved </blockquote>

Just pointing out that I would be happy to be involved either way. Both would be fun! And both great ideas. Just think it will be better, easier (lots of reasons really) to choose from entire player poop.

As good as the SoO would have been, I think you have made the right call to change.

12. anthak

I suppose this is a situation where the 'edit' feature would come into it's own! But I just can't bring myself to fix that typo...

*pool - obviously

13. shanaz

shanaz New Member

If someone was appointed the leader of a particular league, then they could make it a private league. This would allow them to select who is allowed into the league rather than first come first served.

its just an alternate idea i guess. Which do people prefer?

14. TerryinBangkok

@shanaz

Not alternate - mainstream.

Each league (TS-Hawks, TS-SA, etc.) has an Admin (as opposed to leader). The Admins role is to get 16(18) players in his/her league. Mostly it is on a basis of first in. All those candidates then "friend" the Admin. When leagues open next year, the Admin sticks his/her team in and then notifies all the "friends" of the league code.

@ant
    You pooping all over me again?

15. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Alright, so we all know that for e.g a Hawks League has 16-18 teams and they come together to make the State Of Origin team, instead of doing it that way as their has been a bit of talk about Victoria having it easy, how about the 30-33 most commonly picked players throughout the league get selected in the "SoO" team?

For exapmle, the most selected 7 defenders start in the SoO, while the 2 (3) highest reserve picks from the whole league get chosen for the reserves?

16. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

@Sainter - its actually the state leagues that will set up SoO teams, not the team leagues. These state leagues will combine with the expats league, better halves league, etc, to create the super league. Maybe we'll have to create another league to put team coaches against other team coaches.

This is getting out of control!!!!!!!

As for picking the most popular 7 players etc, I think the salary cap will kill that idea very quickly.

17. TerryinBangkok

Thanks JPK.

We have some odd leagues, as you mentioned, Ladies, UCantBeToo, etc. Then we have States and we have Teams. Once we have 16(18) out of these who have filled their respective leagues, they will then collectively put together a team to represent their league (chosen from the entire pool) who would compete in a super league. So basically it is first in first served (i.e., those that can form their State/Team leagues first).

@Bandit

Hope you read this. The Asian Championships are being held in Bangkok this coming weekend. Chairman of the Organising Committee is Geoff Everett (Fitzroy).

18. Bettsy

Bettsy New Member

If there is enough interest I would be keen to be in a Gippsland League, even though I have been in the big smoke for over 10 years now. I still call it home.

19. Kel

Kel Moderator

@ Bettsy - there is a Vic Country League set up. Just find the Forum topic, it hasn't been posted on for a while, and put yourself down. We have had a few from Gippsland so might be able to consider splitting it but at this stage are looking to get Vic Country up and running first.

20. TerryinBangkok

Good onya Kel. Put yourself down for Admin on Vic Country if you haven't already got one.