Underperforming forward premiums

Discussion in 'AFL' started by chris88, Mar 29, 2011.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

In looking at the forwards this year I know there were a few of us who were really struggling to perhaps get past 3 absolute premium locks for our forward line - as it seemed the premiums were not as good a quality as in previous years, or had form/age/injury/positional concerns over their heads.

After the Round 1 efforts of some of them, I'm wondering whether the question marks have further increased.

Not many of the so called premiums came through this week. So many were in fact well down, with the forward line being identified as a concern by many people.

I'm wondering now what people's thoughts are on their own forward line's future - who might have caused you to raise an eyebrow in concern in Round 1 and whether, perhaps, you are already looking towards having one or two of your forward rookies hang around for a little while longer than expected to perhaps provide some scoring options.

I know myself that I'm also looking at guys like Didak and Chappy to perhaps come in a little earlier than expected (though when there is a cow to slaughter) rather than automatically upgrading a midfielder.

With Roo, Franklin and a number of others below par, I wonder if the premium forwards are going to be a lot more variable in their scoring this year.

What are everyone's thoughts?

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Franklin will be back. Still a good score from him and he was wasteful. 2.6 should become 4.4 without as a cohesive defence against him. AAMI Stadium is one of the hardest places to kick goals as Malcolm Blight would attest.

Riewoldt will be back, not many defences have as good a tag team as Taylor and Lonergan - and the Saints can't be so stupid as to allow consistent double teaming of their champion. (Hence why I continue to plead for Nick to move to CHB and become the Saints general, moving on-ball and forward on occasions)

Both these two could whack out a 130 on the weekend without much trouble, which would push their averages back over the 100 mark.

Outside of these, Rioli looked the goods, and was playing on ball. Happy with his start. Reckon he and Didak are about level now.

Chapman is the big one I want in after the Cats' bye. He comes in, has a mid mpp link which could be activated if necessary due to the trade cows.

Still thinking my ideal team is on track.

Already:
    Franklin, Rioli, Goodes, Riewoldt

To get:
    Chapman, Pavlich, Didak

Two of these are legitimate key forwards, the rest can have a run in the midfield of their respective teams.

Of the other KPFs, well the best from the weekend looked like Jack Riewoldt and Dawes. Jury still out on both players being very solid SC scorers, but Dawes does look like value given his bulk and the midfield service.

3. chris88

Lucas - that mix you mention is a good one - and one made to ensure a good variation in role and scoring. Two key forwards and the rest smaller players or players that can play forward or mid.

It'll be interesting to see if Chapman gets up this week. In looking ahead, some relatively tasty looking games at Kardinia Park might help him as well.

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I am enjoying seeing Didak a little unfit and not at his usual tag breaking best, means for a great upgrade later on hopefully.

5. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

I have Riewoldt, Goodes, Pav, Rioli and Buddy. All had sub par returns bar Rioli. I don't actually mind that because my team was able to notch up 2357 without 4/5 of my best forwards really putting on a show.

My other two forwards were Yarran and Tapscott. The guys on my bench are Darling, Richardson and Markovic. One of these 5 will be targeted as the cow that brings Chapman in to the herd.

6. kizza

kizza New Member

I have Riewoldt,Buddy,Rioli,Krakour,Higgins,Fyfe,Tapscott

Bench-Darling Richardson Matera

Feeling quietly confident

7. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Fix em you look pretty solid, you'd suggest two of the forwards will go for Chappy by r7

kizza, confident maybe with your midrangers, hope for your sake they don't spud it up this game.

Still you have 7-8 trades probably needed to upgrade this set to the best you can.

8. Mine's sitting with Dawes, Franklin, Pav, Goodes, Tapscott, Jurrah, Matera (McKernan, Darling, Richardson). Hoping Dawes will remain 100+ ppg and add Rooey, Chappy and Rioli/Didak will make up my forward line with any luck

9. Fez

Fez Moderator

Buddy and nick will be back this week always expected a tough week for both, don't get so down about week 1 And your forwards

10. chris88

My forwardline targets will be Chapman and Didak specifically when the time is right. One might have to find his way into the midfield at the start in order to activate an MPP with another MPP forward - Krakouer for example.

Then, say, Chappy goes onto the ground up forward and Krakouer becomes temporary M6/M7.

11. DC

DC Member

Chappy starting the season with a groin strain is not a good sign.

Buddy hit the post two or three times didnt he? That gives him a 100+ score and that game would of been out of ald's reach!

12. chris88

DC - that and the fact he copped 3 FAs which, in my mind (and I'm not a big fan of Buddy) were complete crap.

Could've easily notched a 120+

13. DC

DC Member

Yeah they were a joke!

14. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

@Lucas

Yeah I'm just debating whether to slot Chappy in to my forward line or my mids. Potential cows in the mids include Swallow, Harris and Krak. Reckon Tapscott or Darling could be the ones who net me Chapman in my forward line.

Didak is an option too.

15. Fez

Fez Moderator

Didak could be really cheap in a few weeks, he had an interupted pre-season and obviously was a bit quiet in the first game this season, time will tell

16. meataxe

meataxe Guest

Lucas' first post pretty much summed it all up, don't really think there's a crisis, just some KPFs having a slow start to the season.

Buddy will be fine, uninterrupted preseason and he will run riot against Melbourne this weekend. Riewoldt won't always have a Harry Taylor to match up against, he will hit a 110+ average.

Goodes' score didn't look special, however he was devastating in the 1st half, plucking everything out of the air like he was Stewart Loewe. It was just a case of a superior defender in Garland shutting him down in the 2nd half ;)

Didak and Chappy will be ripe for the picking when the cows go mooooo...

The key question is whether Jack Riewoldt is able to be a top 7 forward? A big gamble which could handsomely pay off if he averages 105+, but it's obviously a significant risk being a KPF on a weak team.

17. JM

JM Member

I agree with Lucas and Meataxe.
    Haha every year there is always SCs getting the jitters about there team.
    Remember the trade rules, and give your premiums a chance to prove themselves. Don't make any rash decisions that you could be regreting later in the season when Buddy or Riewoldt pump out a few 120+ games in a row.

18. snoz

snoz Moderator

Chappy I'm salivating over sooner rather than later, Dids can bide his time for a month me thinks.

Jack Roo....had him in & out of my squad all preseason, ending up on the outer. Looking at Rd1, played very well, kicked 6 and scored 122.

I'd hazard a guess that 122 is his ceiling...sure he'll kick 8 sometime and score 140, but if he averages 3-4 per week his score by yrs end could ave 90-100.....is this enough for the Fwd line ?

19. bfish

bfish New Member

Hopefully Chappy takes a few weeks before he goes BANG and pumps out the 100's.

20. spud

spud New Member

Agreed, bfish.
    Most of us will need a bit of time in order to let a couple of cows moo.

Sometime after round6 would be appreciated.