Waaaay2SeriousPunters combined club bets

Discussion in 'On the punt' started by Bearfly, May 13, 2013.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Hey gang, just thought I would start something up here as a result of a suggestion put forward by Russkoit on our PC club home page the other week.
    What his suggestion pretty much boils down to is this: Seeing that we're all pretty much involved in the club because of our love for footy as well as fondness of a punt, why not take advantage of our combined footy knowledge to try and boost club funds via a weekly combined club bet (or bets) on footy multi's. To make this work though, we would have to make a few changes to the way we are currently running our end of month top punters rewards, plus also get everyone's input during the week. So how about this for a proposal: #1 - we reduce the top punters rewards from top 5 to top 3 at the end of each monthly cycle; #2 - we start using this new thread each week to debate the merits of the available markets/prices on all games for the upcoming round; #3 - by the Wednesday evening we get a range of bet options for the upcoming round up here for all club members to vote on (and if other TS members feel like putting in their thoughts we should welcome it); #4 - by Friday late afternoon/ early evening (no later than an hour before the Friday night game) we close off voting and place the combined club bets; #5 - each week a different club member will be given the responsibility of placing the combined club bet. #6 - rather than put all our eggs in one basket we should look at placing a minimum of 2 and maximum of 5 club multi's each round (just a suggestion). #7 - each week's combined club bet(s) will add up to the same amount as that month's daily allowance.
    So what do you think gang, good idea or bad? Jump in with your thoughts/ideas/suggestions so we can try and get this going asap and get some more $$$'s rolling in :)

2. Swalloitdown

Swalloitdown Member

Happy to give it a go and see what happens. From what I can tell the top punters with their 2nd go seem to be hanging around that 75% return mark. So if we can find a way to make a profit off our collective knowledge on footy lets give it a crack. I suggest everyone who wants to, chucks up a footy multi during the week and we vote 3-2-1, highest voted 4 or 5 get put on for that round.

3. russkoit

russkoit New Member

I thinks it's a great idea, big thumbs up from me. I was trying to think how we could all agree on what games we bet on, so I really like each person putting up there multi and we can use thumbs up thumbs down to count. And say top 2-3 get put on. 2x$25 I personally think. But as a group it's obviously up to all of us. Thanks for getting this up bear.

4. russkoit

russkoit New Member

Just an idea, i know we don't use the winnings here to roll into other bets, and I also know that there will be some of us that would like to do this with a quaddie on the horses, just an idea but if the footy multi gets up, we put half into the group quaddie the next week, if it looses we don't do the quaddie... Or something similar to this.

5. Grizzles

Grizzles Active Member

I'm all for it but I think rather then actual multi bets if we just put forward results that we think are achievable ie wce over 15.5 against gws :p then we could put the most popular in a multi. I like the idea of 2 $27 multi's (just halving the days kitty). Also if u are reducing it from top 5 to 3 does this mean that we do the group multi once a fortnight? Rusty unless we get a post up on the main page we can't use the thumbs system. Maybe we need to use one of those free voting systems like Calvin uses on his captains article every week.

6. smj69

smj69 New Member

Fine by me, whatever tweaks people think are appropriate. Given that most of us seem to be good on the footy punt, happy to leave it to the experts in that area for the most part! jacko

7. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Sounds like a great idea to me! 2 times half the monthly bet works for me. Also I agree with the option of people suggesting single bets and we can combine the top 3/4/5 into a multi. Maybe we can look at a goal price range that we will look at for each multi? Say one at $3-$4 and the other at $7-$10??

8. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Sounds like a great idea to me! 2 times half the monthly bet works for me. Also I agree with the option of people suggesting single bets and we can combine the top 3/4/5 into a multi. Maybe we can look at a goal price range that we will look at for each multi? Say one at $3-$4 and the other at $7-$10??

9. Bearfly

UnderAchievers wrote:
    Sounds like a great idea to me! 2 times half the monthly bet works for me. Also I agree with the option of people suggesting single bets and we can combine the top 3/4/5 into a multi. Maybe we can look at a goal price range that we will look at for each multi? Say one at $3-$4 and the other at $7-$10?? I like the idea of looking at target price ranges for them UA, damn good thinking mate!!!
    Am going to send out a group email to all club members to get everyone's input in here (and even to those that have had to pull out of the club, this could be a nice way to keep them feeling involved and welcome) - for those that have already made comments you can disregard the email :)

10. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

I'm happy to go with the flow too.....

11. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

My only concern is that many people put on AFL multi bets for their daily bets and they might overlap with these ones. Otherwise it sounds good.

12. russkoit

russkoit New Member

I know what ur saying ruddy, isn't it the same as if I was to place my bet on a horse racing on the weekend and u liked a diff horse in that race, then you should be able to back any horse you like, and then say if bear liked a diff horse he could also bet on it. That would be 3 bets, same race. I think this has happened in the past in PC.

13. Bearfly

Definitely has happened with racing bets, and has even happened with some of the footy & basketball bets too.
    I don't mind if some individual and/or combined club bets overlap or even contradict each other - my view with overlapping bets is that if they get up then we win more, and conversely with contradictory bets, if one fails then the other is more than likely to get up which means we still win :D
    Winning is what I like to see (even though as club captain I haven't done too much of it myself)!!!

14. scarrgo 01

scarrgo 01 Guest

I agree with what Choppers said as his avatar scares me, Yaar indeed!! Seriously though happy to go along but if any of the horse or basketball punters have a tip that can't be ignored we should be able to work with them as well.

15. Grizzles

Grizzles Active Member

Think I suggested ages ago that every one just put up what margins or teams they liked over any sport scargo. Let's face it a $2 fav in bball would easily turn a 3.50 multi into 7 :-D

16. weazel

weazel Member

well value this week in north, dogs and port

17. Grizzles

Grizzles Active Member

Agreed weasel I'd even be tempted by freo at $3 and Carlton and geelong look like solid multi options. North always take the Eagles close where ever they play and my team hasn't been very convincing this year.

18. scarrgo 01

scarrgo 01 Guest

Without seeing lines yet, this is my thinking for what its worth. WC v Roos - WC are used to travel but just completed longest trip in footy, they didn't look convincingagainstLions. Roos have been good this year but would wait for line Dons v Lions - Pass (wait for lines) Hawks v GWS - As above GC v Dogs - Lower has beenoutstandingthis year and leading the B&F IMO, should have a good crack at SOG. Dogs offer some value Pies v Cats - Cats at $1.39 must be included in multis Swans v Freo - Freo play well at SCG combined with Ross the Boss knowledge as well, Swans lookunderdone,so some value there BUT Swans will be smarting after last week. Interested in line on this one. Port v Blues - Port looked to have stopped, HH being tagged has stopped their run but I would wait on Blues injuries though. Tiges v Melb - Pass (Line) crows v Saints - Crows should have confidence from last week but same can be said about Saints though (wait on line)

19. Bearfly

Unfortunately no line or margin markets up yet - but the following games would pretty much be the main ones looked at this week - Eagles $1.34 v North $3.25 - Suns $1.57 v Doggies $2.40 - Pies $3.00 v Cats $1.39 - Swans $1.35 v Freo $3.20 - Blues $1.34 v Port $3.25 - Crows $1.30 v Saints $3.50
    Surely Freo and Saints way overs there, especially Saints considering McEvoy should cream the out of form Jacobs and Dangermouse will definitely cop a tag!!!

20. scarrgo 01

scarrgo 01 Guest

Just noticed that the Blues are playing Port at Etihad, I thought it was over there. So having said that Blues have a shocking record at Etihad (18 wins from 58 games), so......any confidence in Port, Bear?