Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by graeme, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

That's nasty, my players always played, was the chooks that couldn't pull it off, so to speak, until in the end, they did..

2. graeme

graeme Guest

The Waikiks resisted the temptation to trade - but not for the lack of trying.
    Congratulations to young Isaac Smith (86 SC points and what a goal) on his premiership medal. Commiserations to Paul Duffield (a very fine finals series) and Nat Fyfe (has he really just turned 22?). BTW Nat, I will not be standing anywhere near the covers region when next time we next have a hit on the golf course.
    Enjoy the break boys, keep talking up the reclassifications (Jarrad McVeigh as D/M - yes please), and be ready for an even bigger season in 2014. Go you good things!!

3. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I was happy to see Duffman hit his straps and re-find some form during the finals series for you Chels. He seemed to lose his way a touch after our trade ... I hope his good form carries over into 2014 for you.

4. graeme

graeme Guest

Thanks Chris, jolly decent of you amigo. How did that fella - 'the hoff' - go for you?

5. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Once we team and he came to an agreement that he could keep his beard, he was quite good for us....

6. graeme

graeme Guest

A short pre-season training report from the Waikicks. Pre-season training in the lower north island of NZ. Main focus on vineyard maintenance including pruning during the day and quality control during the evenings. Mitch is putting the boys through some strong pig hunting drills (knife and eye dog only) the wrestling involved is our main strengthening and conditioning focus.
    Three big topics of conversation between sessions. First, the early form of players who were missing big chunks of the season through injury is encouraging; Sammy Shaw, Hamish McIntosh and Chris Knights are revelling in their work. Those who played on through the latter part of the season with injuries or were injured late (Luke Russell, Mitch Robinson, Tom Mitchell, Callum Sinclair, Sam Jacobs and Jamie Elliott) would be 'training the house down' if there were any reporters around.
    Second, there is some tetchy behaviour every time chels arrives with envelopes in hand - just who will be cut is a closely guarded secret. However, I understand one or two of the older guys have been making a few phone calls to other clubs.
    Third, there is a bit of swagger about those with potential position changes for 2014. For example, a certain well performed midfielder from Sydney is spending a lot of time training with the back division. He suggests that should he, Sammy Shaw, Harry T, Stakes, Luke Russell and Paul Duffield show some form there may be some back reserves next year.
    Keep training lads - 2014 is the year we have been looking forward to; 2013 was just a practice run

7. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Back in the 30's (even before your time chels), pig meat was a euphemism. Would be good for training though.

8. graeme

graeme Guest

the '30's? Well before my time boss, well before. Any chance you could offer a clue as to what you referring to TiB?

9. TerryinBangkok

If one is to believe the old Blues singers (like Big Bill Broonzy), pig meat referred to sleazy women (in general) and sex (in particular). Listening to the old blues, it is a bit astonishing how common cocaine was in the 20's and 30's, as well as shooting unfaithful women (got a 38 pistol in a 45 frame, shoot my baby down when I take dead aim....etc.). Ah, the good old days - at times I think we could do with some of that in ORFFA. Spot any gems in the draft? Another Crouch perhaps?

10. graeme

graeme Guest

Thanks TiB for the heads up. I will endeavour to listen to more of the old blues men.
    Have spotted a few that I think are going to be good un's from the draft. One is now at Port and not necessarily the first pick. Happy to talk as he is not one I plan to target in the PSD. Have close to 40 potential pick ups for Waikick I am keeping tabs on. ORFFA is a time consuming business, especially having expressed a belief that 2014 could be a big year.
    To put that in perspective am tracking many more wines for the upcoming festival season! In particular Cote de Rhone Grenache / Syrah based Roses are a current favourite. If you can find some La Bastide Saint Dominique I suggest you investigate if you like gutsy Roses.

11. TerryinBangkok

Thankee chels. As a matter of fact, I am quite partial to a gutsy Rose and, fortunately for me, an excellent one is made right here. On the rare occasion I visit home on the far south coast of NSW, there is a good local Rose called Breakfast Creek and it is made from Chambourcin. I had the good fortune to do a tasting of Rose with a well known sensory analyst from France and an oenologist from Stellenbosch. Our conclusion was that the Rose from Thailand (GranMonte, made from Syrah) beat the others by a considerable margin. The other interesting discovery (we had to do something with the insipid remainders) is that if you add ice to Rose it considerably reduces the bite from chili. This year GranMonte are bringing out a limited Grenache Rose and I have been promised a few will be kept for me. Since we have year-round summer here, Rose quite popular. Who are you eying at Port? I am overstocked, but would enjoy following his progress.

12. graeme

graeme Guest

The mood at the Friday night Silverside and Shiraz dinner was improved by the DT position changes news. Jarrad McV becomes D/M as anticipated but the big news was Tom Mitchell becoming M/F. Matty Wright and Mitch Robbo retained their M/F status. Sadly Brent Staker lost dual status and is now F.
    All in all good news and a few thoughts needed for the PSD. Cheers.

13. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

Good afternoon to you my good Chels. My wife and I, as well as a couple of friends, will be doing a cruise in NZ in January. It's one of those stay a day and then travel overnight to wake up in a new city every day kinda things. We will leave Melbourne on 10 Jan and work our way up from Milford Sound, Dunedin, etc. Perhaps we may be able to share a bottle, tete a tete. Let me know if you're interested and available. I'll need to check our itinery to see exactly when we get to your neck of the woods.

14. graeme

graeme Guest

What a fantastic idea, will pm you with some details.

15. TerryinBangkok

Kicking a few cows sure takes the boredom out of sea sickness.

16. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

The Nuffers and the Moocows will meet for some pre season training at Auckland in the first meeting of the Auckland chapter of the ORFFA on 19 Jan. And they said nothing good will come out of the internet.

17. snoz

snoz Moderator

I expect a full report from both of you......about the other.......after the date

18. graeme

graeme Guest

With or without photos sNoZ?BTW, we are meeting at the Corner Bar of De Brett Hotel - I think they have a webcam so you can see what's happening in real time (2pm NZDT) if you cannot wait for the expurgated version.

19. graeme

graeme Guest

Apologies to sNoZ and others for the webcam failure - circumstances well beyond my control. Melbandy (and the delightful MrsMelbandy) were fun and great company. The Tuatara and the Moa went down a treat - lift your game if you did not know they are both local pilsener beers. Meeting fellow ORFFAns makes you appreciate the terrific community we have here. Trading with people I know will definitely take preference as it is easier to judge people when some (if not all) of the b/s factor is removed.

20. graeme

graeme Guest

The ]Waikik'sMatch Committee is very happy with the draft results - chels's position appears safe for another few months at least. Their comments on the new players ares: Dawson Simpson means that, in conjunction with HMac, we have the equivalent of a prime Geelong ruck. While Sauce remains our preferred starter, excellent strength has been added. George Burbury is a very welcome addition who is a long term viable forward. We were particularly impressed that within three weeks of having his jaw broken he was already on the training track and taking part in game simulations, albeit with a fetching pink cap. Darcy Gardiner and Ben Griffiths are part of our long term development of an ageing back line. The latter has real ability in the ruck and has pinch hit there for the Tigers in Ivan Maric's absence. The former while currently injured may have been the best KPD available in the draft. Lloyd Perris is another young, exceptional midfielder from the Swan's production line. To date he has been honoured at every level by astute judges. Had he not been in the Swan's Scholarship Programme he may well have gone by the end of the second round of the main draft rather than at the mutually agreed pick 55 in the Rookie Draft. Do not be surprised if he plays later this year and out performs those on the list who are currently better known. We recommend that our members back him heavily in the 2015 Rookie of the Year market.