Western Bulldogs: winning points as well as hearts and minds

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Apr 19, 2021.

By walesy on Apr 19, 2021 at 11:59 AM
  1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

There is something irresistible about a team that has a gung-ho approach to winning a game. Whatever sporting code it may be and however tribal the feeling of animosity towards even the most hated rival is, one can’t help but admire a team that puts on a show. That is the Westen Bulldogs in a nutshell at the moment having come out the traps flying in the new AFL season.

Indeed, much to the surprise of most AFL fans, the Doggies have made it three wins from their opening three games. Whilst it may be too early to say if this form is here to stay or it is merely a case of the Bulldogs riding the crest of a wave, everyone has been thoroughly entertained regardless.

Having said that, perhaps it is slightly unfair to suggest that it is purely momentum that is keeping the Doggies going at the moment given that they are at just 8/1 in Aussie Rules betting to win the 2021 Grand Final.

Additionally, the Bulldogs have just come off the biggest win in the history of the club after tearing North Melbourne apart. There’s a good chance that Good Friday will from now on be remembered as Great Friday by the Western Bulldogs after they beat the Kangaroos by an unprecedented 128 points.

It’s worth noting that North Melbourne have their own set of very real problems to deal with this season. A string of injuries and a defence that is shipping points at an alarming rate will give many frequent goers to the Marvel Stadium sleepless nights. In reality, the overwhelming evidence suggests that it's going to be a long season for the Kangaroos having lost all three opening games but even still, they ran into a team that will put many to the sword in a similar fashion this season.

The footy on display from the Bulldogs was simply sublime and much of that was done to Josh Bruce. The key forward kicked 10 goals on the night and in doing so became the first man since Simon Beasley accomplished the same feat against Brisbane in 1987. The crowd’s chants of ‘Brucey’ toward the end of the game added to the occasion and gave you the feeling that the Bulldogs are going to earn themselves a new legion of fans this season.

Should they be able to run the gauntlet and get themselves to the Grand Final for the first time since 2016, which on the day they would eventually go on to win, then you can be certain that this AFL season will produce some of the most enthralling action seen in a long time.

The swashbuckling Doggies aren't here to make up the numbers and they certainly are not going to change the way they play in order to win their first Grand Final in five years. They seemingly only know one way and that is to attack. Indeed, no one in the Western Bulldogs' camp will die wondering come the end of the 2021 season which should be music to the ears of all AFL fans.

• Option 1 Option 1 x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Royboy Forever
      Royboy Forever
      Well said Walsey and good luck to the Doggies and I do hope they go on to win the big one.
      I wish I could say the same thing about my Saints - they are having a bad time just like I am in Supercoach. I am not in the proper rhythm of this rolling lockout and through a bit of bad luck I had 9 DNP's (including 4 on ground) and I am not going to fix it quickly. I might get Rowan Marshall and Stefan Martin back this week but I won't be able to swap out Caleb Daniel as I planned as this week I lost Ridley and Hickey so I have a hell of a lot to fix
    2. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Sure do miss the J-Dog @Jason
      • Like Like x 1