Will GWS go the tank this week?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by bama, Aug 9, 2012.

1. bama

bama Active Member

With a win to GWS assuring they will not finish last will they tank this week?

They have already named Ward, Greene and Patton to be on the sidelines this week and with there usual 7 to 8 changes every week it wouldn't surprise me to see a few more out with niggles! Maybe Giles, Treloar and Smith, don't know.

I don't have any GWS guys left so it wont effect me, just putting it out there because it could be interesting!

2. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

a few such as myself will have held giles as 2nd ruck or have treloar/adams as M6/F7 (I have trealor as F7 until buddy returns) but provided they have a little cover or trades left and the general doesn't rear its head it shouldn't be a biggie this week

3. Fez

Fez Moderator

I think they will want to win , if they win it'll give the suns 2 spoons and west Sydney 0

4. bama

bama Active Member

Do you really think they care about spoons? Carlton didn't care when they tanked, Melbourne didn't care when they did, it's all about the future and if they want Whitfield bad enough then they will happily take the spoon. Plus they get a pick before GC in every other round.

5. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Tanking doesn't get you anywhere. Look at Carlton and Melbourne as examples

6. bama

bama Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from TopHeavy on August 9, 2012, 11:40
    Tanking doesn't get you anywhere. Look at Carlton and Melbourne as examples</blockquote>

Agree 100&#37;, that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. The only way to fix it is to bring in the lottery system that way there is no certainty to finishing last.

7. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

bama - in other sports teams just tank for the lottery chance instead so that won't do away with tanking

8. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Tanking doesn't get you anywhere. Look at Carlton and Melbourne as examples</blockquote>

But tanking doesnt exist, just ask the AFL :?

9. Ratmata

Ratmata Member

bite!

Worked for Collingwood. Thomas & Pendles

10. The_General

The_General Member

Worked for Hawthorn too.

11. bama

bama Active Member

Guess we'll find out at about 6.30 tonight!

12. juststarting

juststarting New Member

<blockquote>Quote from TheTassieHawk on August 9, 2012, 12:38
    bama - in other sports teams just tank for the lottery chance instead so that won't do away with tanking</blockquote>

If the AFL made the draft apply in two parts - those that finished in the bottom 10 go into a lottery, then those that made the top 8 get picks in reverse order, teams wouldn't be as likely to tank for the lottery. A team that has a chance of making the finals would presumably try and win in the last few rounds, and there would be no strategic difference between finishing 9th and 18th. Problem solved. :)

13. Fez

Fez Moderator

Honestly will a team try and lose to get pick 1 over pick 2 I seriously doubt it. Melbourne and Carlton tanked for a priority pick

14. Hellraisers

Hellraisers New Member

If GWS were going to tank, they would have done it against Port Adelaide. If they lose against Gold Coast, even legitimately, every one will accuse them of tanking, so they will try their hardest to win, to avoid the bad publicity.

Not only that, but Sheedy, Choco and every player in that team are as competitive as rabid dogs, I don't see them giving anything less than their level best to rip Gold Coast a new one, even if you threatened to strip them of all their draft picks for doing so.