ORFFF League Setup, rules and key dates discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by TheTassieHawk, Nov 27, 2012.

1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Proposed Outer Regional Fantasy Football Federation (ORFFF) rules, once amended and ratified these rules will be subject to further amendment however all subsequent changes from the rules initially agreed will require a 2/3rds majority of votes received from ORFFF members
    1. TEAMS
    1(a) ORFFF teams shall be named after a remote or regional (EDITED, thanks PL) Australian town/place or offshore territory.
    1(b) Weekly ORFFF sides selected from playing lists of 30 players will consist of 15 players. 4 Defenders, 4 Midfielders, 1 Ruck, 4 Forwards and 2 Interchange. In addition, 4 Emergencies can be selected, maximum 1 emergency per line. They come into the side if a selected player on that line does not play.

1(c) SC points and player position eligibility - including dpp - will apply, with “out of position” players receiving half their SC score.
    1(d) Interchange players can be of any SC position and will score full points.
    1(f) Submission of a Round 1 ORFFF team each season via TS leagues or other method prescribed by the ORFFF Commissioner and/or Board is essential. In order to avoid last minute system access issues coaches should post/lodge a Round 1 team at least 1 week prior then update the team throughout the week.
    1(g) Submission of ORFFF playing sides for subsequent rounds is highly desirable. Non updating of an ORFFF side for an extended period of time to the extent that AVOIDABLE donuts are fielded in one or more weeks will be viewed unfavorably due to the impact that this has on the competition overall.
    2. FIXTURE
    2 (a) {to be updated once the fixture and finals structure has been voted on}
    2(b) SPLIT AFL ROUND - Where matches are held over a 2 weeks period there will be a 2 part lockout for the first and second week of the round.
    2(c) Any non-split rounds will be locked out at the beginning of the first match of the AFL Round, except that Matches on Thursday (or opening Anzac round matches on Wednesday) will be locked out at the start of the game, but the remaining games for the rest of the round will be locked out at the beginning of the next game played.

3. ORFFF COMPETITION LADDER AND FINALS
    3 (a) After each round of games the ORFFF competition ladder will be sorted in order by ORFFF ladder points (Win =4, Draw = 2, Loss = 0) then by Points Scored then by % (calculated as Points Scored/Points Against *100).
    3 (b) The top X (to be updated once the fixture and finals structure has been voted on) teams as at the end of the roster series will qualify for the ORFFF finals series.
    3 (c) The ORFFF finals series will be played over X weeks and will consist of X with matchups to be determined as follows:-
    (again, to be updated once the fixture and finals structure has been voted on)

4. TRADES
    4(a) – Teams can trade players and/or draft picks during the designated trade periods, ie pre and post Midseason Draft and pre and post Preseason Draft. (For the purpose of this rule the inaugural ORFFF draft will be considered to be the 2016 PSD).
    4 (b) Specific Draft and Trade period timeframes will be communicated in advance by the ORFFF Commissioner and/or Board. As a guide the MSD and MSD trade periods will usually be held during a 3-4 week period around the multibye rounds.
    4(c) Teams may trade players and/or draft picks subject to the restriction that they can only trade draft picks relating to the 2 ORFFF drafts directly ahead.
    4(d) – In the trading period prior to a draft teams can trade uneven amounts of players, however the player component of all trades conducted following the end of the draft most be on a 1:1, 2:2, or 3:3 (etc) basis in order to maintain even player list sizes.
    4(d) Trades can be vetoed if the trade is unbalanced in favour of one of the participating teams and 3 non-participating ORFFF coaches cast a veto vote.
    4(e) Teams will have 1 week to veto a trade proposed prior to the ORFFF season commencing and 48 hours to veto trades agreed during the midseason trade periods (e.g. If a trade is proposed at 2.15pm on a Tuesday post the MSD, ORFFF coaches have until 2.15pm on a Thursday to cast their votes. The Commissioner will then check and ratify the trade or veto if 3 vetos were posted.
    4(f) Trades posted in the final week/48 hours of a trade period will have until 48 hours after the end of the official trade period to have vetoes cast, any players traded in will not be eligible to play for either their old side or their new side until the trade is cleared or vetoed.
    5. PLAYING SQUAD DELISTMENTS

5(a) Pre-Season Draft delistments must be completed by the designated time and date to be advised by the ORFFF Commissioner and/or Board.
    5(b) To delist players, simply post the players delisted on the designated “delisted players” thread.
    5(c) Prior to the Preseason draft ORFFF lists can be no greater than 24 players. If an ORFFF list exceeds 24 players by the deadline mentioned above, players will be delisted from that team for them (previous season averages from lowest to highest) to take the list down to 24 players and the coach will be in serious risk of losing their place in the ORFFF.
    5(d) ORFFF lists may be cut to fewer than 24 players prior to the Preseason draft.
    5 (e.) The ORFFF midseason draft is non mandatory provided that teams retain exactly 30 players following any trading and/or delisting of players.
    5 (f) To participate in the Mid-Season Draft teams must have reduced their playing list through trading and/or delistment to 29 or fewer players by the designated time and date (again, to be advised by the ORFFF Commissioner and/or Board) in the relevant MSD trade and delistment threads. Teams who have reduced player numbers to 29 or fewer solely through trading uneven numbers of players will also participate in the MSD.
    5 (g) The Mid-Season draft delistment deadline also applies to ORFFF teams who have gained players through trading uneven numbers of players, as they must reduce their squad to 30 players.

6. DRAFTING
    6(a) – all drafts with the exception of the inaugural ORFFF draft will be ordered in a linear fashion based on the ORFFF ladder and placing after finals results (for the PSD only), with the bottom placed team to pick first.
    6(b) The Pre-Season Draft (PSD) in each season will commence on a designated time and date to be advised by the ORFFF Commissioner and/or Board, with a time lime limit for each pick to be advised by the Commissioner and/or Board.
    6(c) The Mid-Season Draft (MSD) in each season will commence on a designated time and date to be advised by the ORFFF Commissioner and/or Board, with a time lime limit for each pick to be advised by the Commissioner and/or Board.
    6(d) If in either the PSD or MSD a Coach does not pick within their allocated time they will be given the highest ranked player on the previous season SC averages (PSD) or current SC season averages (MSD). If the time limit isn't practical, you must notify the ORFFF in advance; i.e. if it is one or two picks before yours but you are flat out at work or have a wedding etc then post that you may need to extend your time. Alternatively, nominate a proxy and give them a standby list.
    6 (e) Teams involved in a draft must continue to draft until their lists are at 30 players.
    6 (f) as stated at 5(e) above the Mid-Season Draft is not compulsory to participate in for teams who have 30 players.

7. POSITIONS OF POWER

7(a) All official positions will be filled for 12 month periods effective from February 1 to January 31 the following year. Official positions are: Commissioner and the Board (made up of the Commissioner and 2 other ORFFF coaches).
    7(b) Positions will be nominated for and filled in January each year.
    7(c) The role of the Commissioner is to regulate and control the operations of the ORFFF. This encompasses making a final ruling, casting a tie breaker vote, ensuring that all coaches have an opportunity to have a say, discussing matters of issue raised in ORFFF with the Board and to ensure the success and enjoyment of the ORFFF for all that are way too serious for fantasy football.
    7(d) The role of the Board is a body of elected or appointed members who jointly oversee the operations of the Outer Regional Fantasy Football Federation known as ORFFF. This encompasses discussing matters of issue raised in ORFFF, proposing a variety of recommendations to those issues for a collective and united solution / decision and assist the Commissioner with ensuring the success and enjoyment of the ORFFF for all that are way too serious for fantasy football.
    7 (e) The Commissioner and Board may seek opinions from all ORFFF members on varying issues and this will occur through polls, forum posts, PM's, and emails., as such please advise others of your current email address and check the Too Serious website periodically throughout the offseason.
    7 (f) If a team Coach has gone “AWOL” for an extended period the Commissioner and Board will be responsible for making reasonable efforts to make contact with the Coach and making any subsequent decisions regarding the coaches further participation in the ORFFF competition.

2. TheTassieHawk

Probably best we move the above posts or otherwise continue this discussion over at the other thread

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/orfff-league-setup-rules-and-key-dates-discussion.88813

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheTassieHawk

my understanding is that we voted for reduction to a MAXIMUM of 24 players prior to the 2017 PSD, ie feel free to cut more if you suffer from a severe potato infestation

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/orfff-mandatory-delistments-player-movements.7969/

• Like Like x 1
  4. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Trading during the season - If this gets enough votes/decided by commissioner then I'm happy to coordinate if that's the difference between it happening or not happening.
    5. PLAYING SQUAD DELISTMENTS - Wasn't this decided as 'mandatory movements' rather than delists? i.e. trades, retirements or delist. Could be wrong though...

5. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

My belief is that movements numerically are irrelevant, ie if you traded 6 players in and 6 players out you still have 30, you need to delist 6. ie the critical number is that at the start of the draft your list can not be larger than 24.. It is also entirely possible that I simply applied the FA rules to what I was reading without thought.

The FA also allows trading during drafts, I'm not sure if I am a fan of it or not, I didn't find it all that hard to deal with with (unexpectedly) and it does add a bit of spice, maybe something to look at in the future if people aren't keen straight up.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  6. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Yeah weve been trading during drafts in orffa and i like it.

Also good summary TTH

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheTassieHawk

I thought it might be best to start up a poll on this one so that we can see what the masses think, if voting numbers are low myself or someone else can email or pm everyone on Sunday night/Monday morning to send out a reminder to vote.

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/orfff-trading-poll-closes-tuesday-16-feb.89271/

8. TheTassieHawk

I have put some options on 2016 and future seasons fixture and finals structure up for review and further discussion over at the 2016 Fixture thread previously started by Bear, so please head over and have your say:-

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads...requests-and-rivalry-round-suggestions.89245/

9. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

I want to give this proper focus, which will likely be over the weekend.

Not important and it's purely pedantry but 1a says "remote" towns when the R in the league title says "regional". :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheTassieHawk

our poll decided in favour of trading "throughout the 2016 NAB challenge and pre and post 2016 ORFFF MSD only"

obviously we can vary the dates of the upcoming window if needed, but if everyone is clear on what the trading rules are and we have positions of power sorted in time (so as to manage any vetos) we are probably right to go, in my opinion

so if you don't agree say so and also explain when we should start the trade window or what needs to be sorted out before we start

• Like Like x 2
  11. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

shit result in my opinion but great that there was a democratic process and consensus decision made. Thanks @TheTassieHawk for organising and getting things moving in the right direction

• Like Like x 2
  12. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

A bit dissapointed, but majority rules. We do need to work out what we can trade, in terms of draft picks etc.

Happy to help keep records on it if needed, and restrict future picks to only the next draft. Also one for one for balance. (So if I traded my 2nd and 3rd picks for someones 1st they would also send their last pick for balance)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Len

Agreed, I also think we should be right to open trading, players need to be one for one, picks can be uneven as we have a theoretical inexhaustible supply of them and balance isn't needed. I believe we've already discussed without dissent that we'd limit pick trading the MSD.

Need to agree on a close, I'd suggest Monday prior to the first Thursday game but whatever rocks people's world.

If ViQBoZ is happy to track them I'll send him the team sheets and the layouts I use to track the FA ones, can ignore or use as seen fit

• Like Like x 1
  14. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

(edit by TTH Ant posted this in the "Trading window poll" blog but I copied it here as I think it fits in the Rules discussion)

I like having a trade period straight after the season finishes, as we do in orffa. Quiet trade period in FA too, but still good to be able to trade when season is fresh in mind.

I would also like for us to be able to trade during drafts, as we do in orffa - this was helpful for me last year when a ruck of mine got injured after id already used all my draft picks, but the draft was still running, so i traded a guy for a draft pick and selected a ruck.... it didnt work out too well, cause said ruck didnt play all season anyway, but the idea of it is good - adds interest to the draft too

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2016
  15. TheTassieHawk

These are 2 fair points mate

The offseason trade window in the other comps seem to either in 1 or 2 blocks, I expect the people who take the Positions of Power can decide what they want based on the discussion already here and any that follows.

Trading during drafts actually sounds reasonable to me and if it is working ok in the ORFFA and supported by Len and yourself it wouldn't bother me as long as it was clear to everyone how it might work and to be fair I think I understand your example but am probably only 75% sure.

I would have thought teams can draft and trade up until they have 30 players (at which time their draft pick slots in later rounds disappear) but once they have 30 players any subsequent trade that sees them drop a player whilst the draft is still happening would need to bring them a draft pick or else they would pick after all other picks have been taken. Alternatively their draft pick spots only disappear when their next turn comes around and they then PASS (after having already reached 30 players and not having traded any of them out to create room on their list since then).

I guess the main concern is ensuring that once teams have reached 30 players they can't trade a player in (whether during the draft or fter it has finished) and have 31 on their list as this would be breaching the 30 player maximum limit.

16. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Are you saying that you're suggesting the only picks we can trade are for the draft directly ahead? So this trade period you couldn't add pre-season draft picks but only those in the mid-season draft?

Agree that draft picks probably don't need to be 1:1 or balancing. More often then not they are used for balancing trades themselves so if people are happy to be drafting into the 7th round then that's their choice.

1:1 player trading though, is that solely being decided on for post-draft trade periods or for all them? All of them would be keeping simple though technically their shouldn't be any problem with multiple deals before drafts happens. If squads are higher than 30 or 24 respectively then they'd have delist anyway regardless.

I'm ambivalent to a post-season trade period if people want it. I don't actually think it adds much so don't mind if we don't either.

I'm a no to live-trading during drafts. That has been discussed before.

I'm a yes to deciding everything irt to a topic (like trading) at once rather than by piecemeal or when someone has a suggestion

17. Len

The fact that this is an inaugural draft means we've done the trade and draft upside down, going forward I'd suggest it's the same as the FA/FL and I think FU where you can trade for the upcoming draft and one ahead, that would "normally" be this PSD and the MSD.

One for one trading is only for this trade period which I'm stuffed if I know if we are starting or not, but is necessary as I understand we wont have a correcting draft after it to bring squads back to 30, again normally it's not a consideration as the trade and draft are done the other way around.

We do need to know if we have 2 or 3 guys willing to lead and then for them to do so, on a number of issues, I've not seen confirmation we have that, despite prodding :)

18. TheTassieHawk

really?? I may not have that great a memory but with the changeover of site it is a bit hard to troll back through the early part of the thread to check.

my understanding is that some or all of the other comps allow trading picks 2 drafts ahead and that we would be following that approach - which if I interpret this correctly would mean 2016 MSD and 2017 PSD picks will be on the table in this window (which I believe PL is saying above) and picks for these 2 drafts would also be up for trade in the next window up to the 2016 MSD

then once the 2016 MSD itself is completed the 2 drafts ahead becomes the 2017 PSD and 2017 MSD, so any trades post the 2016 MSD and before the post 2016 MSD trade window cutoff could include 2017 MSD picks

no doubt this is one the powers that be can decide and we can happily commence on Thursday

19. Len

I believe I explained in the post above yours, if I was unclear on logic I apologise, it felt plain to me.

20. HörnsySechsZeit

HörnsySechsZeit Jarhead Staff Member

No appreciation for meter or rhyme :sadface:

• Like Like x 1