ORFFW 2019 Round 1

Discussion in 'ORFFW' started by TheTassieHawk, Feb 1, 2019.

Tags:
?

Which match of ORFFW Round 1 will provide the closest margin ?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2019.
  1. Long Distance Derby (VIV vs KAT)

16.7%
  2. POM vs BAT

50.0%
  3. Ellie Blackburn Cup (TEN vs LFF)

16.7%
  4. MAN vs LSC

16.7%
  1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Welcome one and all to the first ever round of the ORFFW competition.

Our 8 freshly minted sides will look to build on the excitement and energy provided by the ORFFW preseason and supplementary draft period and to start the short and sharp ORFFW 2019 regular season with an all-important first up win.

The Round 1 ORFFW fixture is posted at http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/2019-orffw-fixture-now-updated.90317/ and http://tooserious.net/forum/tsLeagues.php?leagueId=21

And all of the teams have been entered at http://tooserious.net/forum/tsLeagueTeam.php and can be viewed at http://tooserious.net/forum/tsLeagueMatchday.php?leagueId=21&round=1

Now no O.P. is complete without a blink and you will miss it (and truly rushed) guide/preview to each of the 4 all important Round 1 clashes
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Firstly at Jetty Road Oval the long distance derby buildup has the whole of KI rocking with Vivonne Bay @That KI Guy taking on the Krushers from Katanning @FreoDockers and eyeing off the Sandgropers vs Croweaters Long Distance Derby trophy.

Key matchup #1 Coach KI Guy has been struck with ruckwomanitis and has drafted in Kim Rennie who slots in at R1 and lines up against Aasta O’Conner from Katanning, with the outcome critical in providing first use to both sides imposing midfields.

Kay matchup #2 Katanning’s Brennan is as talented as any forward in the ORFFW and will be wanting to impose herself decisively on the opening week derby stage. She will be closely marked by AFLW clubmate Hannah Scott who will be looking to blanket her opponent and break the lines when the home side win possession down back.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2300km to the North In the land of the banana benders Pomona @anthak will be hosting Bathurst @Len at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

Key matchup #1 Another massive ruck battle looms with the home sides dual Champion Data All Australian Lauren Pearce taking on the young and talented 2018 AFLW All Australian Erin McKinnon for the visitors.

Key matchup #2 on Sunday the Belles Emma Kearney will go head to head with fellow contested beast Elise O’Dea of the Nymphs in a mouthwatering individual clash with both aiming to feed the ball out with precision to their fellow midfielders on the outside.
    400km further south the Nymphs near neighbours the Termites @stripey host the Falcons @Jason at the Paddock ground shared with Tenterfield’s other ORFF* franchise - the Black Swamp 29ers of the ORFFF – with the Ellie Blackburn Cup up for grabs due to the mind games and battle of words between the longtime rival ORFFL coaches during the ORFFW preseason draft.

Key matchup #1 Alicia Eva of the Termites will be tipped to play a run with role to curb and outshine Lake Fanny’s aforementioned Ellie Blackburn in a midfield tussle of significant importance.

Key matchup #2 The home sides inexperience defensive duo of Rebecca Goring and Jordyn Allen wil face no bigger task all season than attempting to combat the Falcons highly acclaimed and talented forward line tandem of SFT and Bernardi.
    The remaining match 700km away at Flour Girls Arena sees the mighty Mystix hosting the Devils of Lake St Clair @dmandrews with both sides fans eager to see whether they are competition contenders or pretenders in season 2019.

Key matchup #1 will be the Mystix Bri Davey and Ebony Antonio’s ability to limit scoring avenues for the AFLW Demons duo of Kate Hore and Shelley Scott for the Devils, while also creating play and surging into a 4 woman forward line at times during the contest.

Key matchup #2 will feature the Devils strong and deep midfield rotation seeking to provide a baptism of fire and then some to the AFLW debutant Madison Prespakis who Manildra coach TTH plucked way earlier in the draft than most observers had pegged and will be urging on passionately in person at the grand North Hobart Oval at 105pm on Sunday despite my one eyed Kangaroos supporting 7 year old daughter’s strongest objections.
    So get the popcorn out and banter happening as best you can you busy ORFFW coaches, then without further adieu as the WWE announcer once upon a time famously said :-

2. TheTassieHawk

@Len @That KI Guy @anthak @Jason @dmandrews @FreoDockers @stripey

A boring 2nd post that will hopefully get deleted post round but could everyone please do me a big favour and post below in which order they want their E1 and E2 to play if needed given the http://tooserious.net/forum/tsLeagueMatchday.php?leagueId=21&round=1 TS Leagues display seems to display the players based on some order other than which slot they were posted during team entry.

Manildra's E1/E2 order is Lamb (M) then Van Dyk (D) however this has been reversed on the Match Day page (as have D1/D2, M1/M2/M3 and F1/F2).

Falcons
    Nymphs
    Valkeries
    Krushers
    LSC Devils
    It appears these preferences are shown in reverse order on the Matchday page so I will assume this is the same for everyone else as well but any calculations I make will be subject to checking with the coach in any case.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I understand the emergencies process. I had E1 as Bonnie Toogood (FWD) and E2 as Hayley Miller (MID).

I had thought that they would be used in whichever way maximised my score. i.e. if a FWD doesn't play, Toogood comes in; if a MID doesn't play, Miller comes in; if a DEF or RUC doesn't play, whichever is higher of Toogood/2 or Miller/2 comes in.

Please explain what is going on if this is not the case. Given that the entire comp is going to be manually administrated, I would have thought the admin could ensure to select the emergency that maximises the overall points for the squad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheTassieHawk

Good question Jase,

the intent is actually for TSleagues to calculate the scores at the end of the round but with the information provided we (in this weeks case me) can easily do the manual scoring if gremlins hit and also check whether the site has correctly applied 100% or 50% of the correct player when the inevitable late withdrawal eventually hits this week or sometime later on.

One small point is that in the event of your D1, D2 or R1 being a late withdrawal the original intent of mine was that you would get Toogood * 50% as your oop E1 rather than the better score * 50%. With that said better score * 50% (or perhaps 40%) may or may not be easier to program and I am happy for discussion of the relative pros/cons by all coaches.

My personal view is we should all be trying our best to avoid oop players wherever possible which this season puts a premium on F/M players either as emergencies on in the starting lineup even though the risk of any late withdrawal is quite low.

In 2020 I would like to have ORFFW player positions assigned with much more dpp as this should mean a 2 player bench should cover all lines without dpp. The problem is Draftstars has only appeared to have launched its 2019 AFLW offering with player position info (with much more dpp) in the 3-4 days prior to Round 1 and we have no complete Draftstars data set from 2018. I have several ideas which would tackle this issue which can be discussed at another time.

Cheers TTH

5. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I've deliberately listed a DEF and a M/F in order to cover 3 of the 4 lines, per the original proposal that would see 100% scores for all lines bar ruck where I would get 50%

• Like Like x 1
  6. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Emma Swanson and then Sharni Webb

• Like Like x 1
  7. anthak

Thanks for the write-up TTH and good luck Lenh!

• Like Like x 1
  8. anthak

I havent checked back at the wording that was announced, but my recollection is that there is an order, but the 2nd would be used first to avoid OOP if necessary.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Len

Indeed, same to you mate :)

10. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Wonderful stuff TTH.

Not fussed how the emergency thing plays out but fwiw I’ll go
    E1 Mullane E2 Lucas-Rodd

11. FreoDockers

FreoDockers Administrator

E1 Gum E2 Brazill
    Good luck everyone and great write up!

12. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

Yes I did the same and I’ll admit I drafted M/F DPP’s less for on field advantage but their ability to cover two lines as emergencies

• Like Like x 2
  13. Len

14. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, it should be calcing based on the same formula in the Addicts league, which subs in the highest score possible for any misses.

• Like Like x 4
  15. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

LSC Devils emergencies are E 1 Nat Exon, E 2 Emma Grant

Thanks for the write-up @TheTassieHawk.

The LSC Devils midfield is stronger than I was initially planning, I hadn't planned on selecting two midfielders with my first three picks but when it was time for pick 11 the top names on my draft board were Karen Paxman and Danna Hooker. After choosing Paxman at 11 Hooker was available at 17 so I went with back to back mids and was happy to get Emma Zielke at 62. It will be a big task for Madison Prespakis on debut for the Manildra Mystix but I'm sure she will acquit herself well alongside one of the best players in the comp in Ebony Marinoff.

The AFLW Prospectus 2019 summed up Marinoff's superb tackling ability by commenting "Marinoff is the best tackler we have seen across any competition covered by Champion Data. From just 61 minutes per match she averaged 11.7 tackles." Lake St Clair forwards Shelly Scott and Kate Hore will have to play with defensive accountability to minimise the drive provided by Brianna Davey and Ebony Antonio who have each won a b & f for their AFLW club.

TTH, I hope you and your daughter enjoy the Round 1 AFLW match between North Melbourne and Carlton. Given that three Mystix including Prespakis are playing for Carlton against your daughters Kangaroos you could get some interesting reactions depending on how much you cheer for your trio of Mystix Blues and the state of the AFLW game, it is great that you are able to see Prespakis make her AFLW debut.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TheTassieHawk

Round 1 teams in pic form
    m1.png

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheTassieHawk

ctd
    m2.png

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheTassieHawk