2022 ORFFW pre-season discussion (committee nominations open)

Discussion in 'ORFFW' started by That KI Guy, Jul 7, 2022.

?

Please vote on the number of keepers and PSD draftees per 22 player squad for season 2022B

Poll closed Jul 29, 2022.
  1. I prefer to have 13 keepers and 9 draftees

30.0%
  2. I prefer to have 14 keepers and 8 draftees

70.0%
  1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

I accept all of that. However, we started out with 5 min. picks, did very well and it looked like we could finish in 24 hours, before the site collapsed. When restored we suddenly get all relaxed and go to 6 hours for a 'comfortable' finish next week. Some of us have commitments and while happy to put aside 24 hours to get this task done do not have multiple days for the focus required to successfully complete this draft Was the decision to go to 6 hours unilateral and why was it not possible to revert to 5 minutes?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ver_redit_optatum

ver_redit_optatum Well-Known Member

Galahs select Ange Foley PA with Pick 40

@Lachlan Brown next

It was always going to be (up to) 6 hour picks after the first 5 rounds, as I understand. And we nearly got through 3 rounds last night despite the delay. Certainly a Zoom or Discord would be a good idea next time and probably lead to quicker picks as it's easier to get notified straight away.

When TTH suggested setting up something else I thought it was just for extra entertainment, didn't think of it as a backup measure for the site going down... would have been good.

3. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

The 5 minutes was for a live draft period which we all committed to, to try and get through as many rounds as possible before reverting to more normal TS draft style.
    Unfortunately the crash last night ended us premptively.
    There is no way we could do a 5 minute draft without everyone commiting to be online for exactly the sort of reasons yourself and Lachlan have outlined, life happens :)
    This has progressed pretty quickly, and there are quite a few who'd be happy to hold and act on a preferncial pick order if you or anyone else know they won't be around for an extended period of time, ie more than 6 hours. We've sailed through halfway in less than 20 hours.

• Like Like x 4
  4. TerryinBangkok

Yes, TTH has cleared this up in a PM.

I was under the assumption it was a 5 minute draft (which is how AFLF run theirs). Need to read the fine print, but seems there is a fair bit of it. Since the draft will now run into next week, can we take away 2 picks from @anthak if he wins the ORFFA?

• Like Like x 4
  5. ver_redit_optatum

Same but am also completely out of ruck and I just don't care about them enough to pick further up.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Len

Yup, I think given their rarity and the fact that we need backups, but can only use one per game, there may be an arguement that they should be the exception to the "Each player has one position only" designation.
    Not that fussed either way, but it does make them a required PITA as it is.

7. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Personally I am not sure how you would structure it but a “ruck-tility” position (anyone but mids) or broadening of midfielders to include rucks would seem to be sensible in all fantasy draft and keepers comps, not just this one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Len

Agreed :)

9. ver_redit_optatum

I kinda like the way it replicates the same problem that real teams have. I was sad to lose Tighe from the ruck spot, but she hardly had any hitouts last year in the end. Perhaps we could keep DPP but only for ruck positions and based on the same criteria as before re. certain number of hitouts average or expected? More admin than removing DPP and matching the other fantasy site positions though.

10. Len

For me it's the fact that you have to have them, but can barely use them, most fantasy teams would carry 3 rucks and probably only play 1 all season, despite the 2nd ruck who in a game sense plays R/F scorig almost as well. All AFLW teams carry a main ruck and someone who can play ruck into games.
    It's a waste of 2 list spots for us, though necessary, thus the PITA bit :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ver_redit_optatum

It was a tossup on my pick, you got lucky! But I have quite a lot of mids already and seems she’s more likely to stay there, where Hamilton might become a forward… or not, we’ll see.

• Like Like x 3
  12. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Some good luck with players still being available has flowed down the ORFFW draft order. It is certainly a very different outcome than a domino effect of people saying ‘get stuffed’ down the line as their targeted player gets stolen from them at the last moment.

Entering the draft I wasn’t planning to select a draftee mid however the draftee forwards and defenders on my draft board didn’t last long. There were some draftee mid sliders and after taking my second round pick I decided to pick a draftee mid in Charlotte Baskaran or Cynthia Hamilton at pick 36 if either of them were available. To my surprise they were both still available, I opted for Baskaran with pick 36 and C Hamilton slid all the way to the sixth round and was finally selected by the Galahs at pick 64 which allowed Len to re-draft Emily Pease with pick 66.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Len

For me now, the one that I regret not jjumping on early was Georgostathis.

I had her down as an option to take at 4 if she was still there, but like many others I suspect list needs meant "best available" wasn't an option.

Plenty of players I had on my list are still available so I'm happy but was definitely wondering if I just had a shit pre-list

Well done to @Lachlan Brown though.

I am no expert, and we all draft against different list shapes and needs, but working against my list of players the bargain picks standouts so far would be;
    Fleming to the Trailblazers at 6
    Hill to the Krushers at 9
    Howarth to the Devils at 12
    Hurley to the Sirens at 29
    Baskaran to the Devils at 36
    Georgostathis to the Demons at 53
    Busch to the Nymphs at 58
    Hamilton the Galahs at 64

• Like Like x 5
  14. TerryinBangkok

How can there still be plenty of players on your list still available?

I thought I snaffled up all the bad choices.

15. ver_redit_optatum

There's still a few on my list... either wild speculative picks, or players I delisted and considered relisting, but didn't feel strongly about. (Speaking of delisting, TTH said he was expecting to see a few of his back, then didn't pick up any - was it just a red herring?)

I think Len's comments pre-draft about having more keepers and developing for the long term stuck with me, because I tried to focus on youth more than I have in the past. Or maybe it's just started to feel like yeah, there probably will still be AFLW in 5 or 10 years, and I'll probably still be here playing fantasy, so what my team looks like in a couple of years is worth thinking about. Didn't feel the same way about it before I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheTassieHawk

It was my honest intention VRO, I think in drafts past I have redrafted almost half of my delists but a few didn’t quite slide enough and in defence in particular I liked other options I had expected to be off the board late.

I actually strongly considered Zreika at 92, who I have previously cut and redrafted but had to choose between a redrafted pick or a Hawks player in Tamara Smith. I am expecting a long and perhaps debut season for the Hawks and it will be good to have a player to follow closely on fantasy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TheTassieHawk

Speaking of drafting delisted players I had a quick look earlier and the numbers of delistees from each club redrafted either to their old or a new club was 1-5, which is a lower proportion than previous seasons.

The 2 main factors are the increase in keeper numbers and increase in the size of the FA pool.

• Like Like x 2
  18. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I went the opposite way. Last season I drafted #3 draft pick Charlotte Thomas with an early pick and then delisted her this season, so I kinda wondered what the point is in drafting young ones because its difficult to hold onto them with so many required delists. I think I did the same the previous season in terms of drafting a young player with my first pick who I then delisted at first opportunity - was it Sarah Hartwig? I cant remember... Maybe I need to show more patience with them, but its a fine line.

19. ver_redit_optatum

It is indeed. I picked Farquharson 2 seasons ago who then didn't debut, but held on to her and she managed to force her way in last season.... enough to be worth it? Not really. But she's fun to watch. If I have more than 14 players that I really really really want to keep next year, well I'll just count myself lucky that they went well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Len

I'm youth addicted in both AFL and AFLW fantasy, I think my dream job would be a talent scout.
    Unfortunately it requires abilities I don't have, quite obviously :p

• Like Like x 2