Round 8 Teams & Banter

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by snoz, May 10, 2018.

1. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Whilst Tassie tussle combatants Cradle Mountain and Charlie Opening were separated by only one position on the ladder entering their Round 8 encounter, being 13th and 14th respectively the Devils had a healthy advantage in terms of points per game, 1,220 to 982. In 2018 the Devils have only scored below 1,175 once whilst the Spelunkers have only exceeded 1,085 once resulting in the Devils being short-priced favourites with ChiefBet. Whilst many expected their Round 8 game to be a stroll in the park for the Devils at home it has developed into a far more treacherous mission even though the Devils have 15 players in position and the Spelunkers are fielding an OOP ruck.

Five minutes into the last quarter very little separates the Apple Isle clash between Cradle Mountain and Charlies Opening, 12 players have taken the field for each team with the Devils leading the Spelunkers by 12 points, 991 to 979 and each team registering four tons. The Devils centurions so far are two mids Heppell (103) and Zaharakis (108) and two interchange players (who also happen to be mids) Redden (103) and Zorko (121) compared to a more even positional spread from the Spelunkers with defender Duggan (104), midfielders Bontempelli (132) and Atkins (111) and forward Hooker (101) all scoring tons. Charlies Opening are either left rueing being forced to play Petrevkski-Seton OOP in the ruck or a very thankful for this outcome if tanking is in fact the primary objective. Inaccuracy in front of goal could come back to hurt the Devils with key forward Tim Membrey kicking one goal, five behinds, having been an extremely accurate kick at goal in 2016 and 2017.

Devils to play: Vlastuin (Ave of 71), Pendlebury (103) and Nankervis (95). If Pendles is a late withdrawal he will be replaced by Steele who scored 71. Combined ave of 269

Spelunkers to play: Short (75), Blicavs (72) and Higgins (76) Combined ave of 223

The Devils have performed to expectations and look set to post their fourth consecutive 1,200 plus score whilst Charlies Opening have relished playing against their arch rival and are on track to post their highest score of the season. Having entered Round 8 with a record of two wins and five losses the Devils need a win to keep their finals hopes alive whilst if Charlies Opening win with a 1,200 plus score their tanking efforts shape as being as effective as a beginner attempting to walk on their hands.

• Like Like x 3
  2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Footy gods gave me a choice today - an extra 40 or so points towards a close ORFFA contest due to matchwinning goals to Ben Brown, or Richmond winning due to Brown missing those shots.

The gods chose a Richmond win, and I'll not argue. An extra 40 points from Shed Edwards would've been a good gift too. Alas ...

• Like Like x 4
  3. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Don't forget the better draft pick Chris. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I think Darraweit got done by 25 minutes of last quarter Fyfe and 25 minutes of Menegola today. Those couple of bursts added up to about 80 or 90 points alone!

• Like Like x 3
  5. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Had accepted that the streak was over during the Richmond v North game. Fyfe had got us back into the match, then Mason Wood got us out of the contest. Then Mengola got going - stunning. Have to rewrite part of the weekly review!

• Like Like x 3
  6. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Bad luck @ChiefRussell
    I'm surprised to have beaten you with only one of my players topping 100.
    And I see Ben Cunnington got your magoos over the line in the curtain raiser. It was a good tussle between he and Tommy Rockliff in the midfield, but Cunnington was very good this week! Rocky might've done enough for a recall to the Gariwerd senior side too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

1220 from the Misfits wasn't enough to beat the Wombats 1261, but given we only had 13 players the avg of a touch over 93 points per player was welcome

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

Haha! Yeah, Cunners only broke the all time contested possession record for a game. Pity it didn’t count.

I got team selection right last week for the first time. Too many blokes score under 50 each week.

At least it happened to you as well with Rocky this week. I won’t beat myself up as much this week.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Great win Dean... your boys too strong for my mob, although I am sure @ChiefRussell threw the remote at the telly a few times over the weekend. I was just keeping it interesting ;)

10. Bandit

Hoppers went Sa-mash on the poor lefties :eek:. I can't tank that badly unless I actually cheat :D

• Like Like x 4
  11. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. snoz

snoz Moderator

Seriously AFL - is this something against the Curnow boys or just anti-Hopperism ???

• Like Like x 4
  13. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

The latter snoz, only plane this weekend to Waikick will depart while their cases are being reviewed. :p Your neighbour, the Boss, summed it up nicely - "you can look, but you better not touch."

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bandit

Glad you clarified, I thought you were referring to "Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims, and strap your hands 'cross my engines" :confused:

• Like Like x 1