ORFFW 2019 Format Review and Discussion of tweaks for 2020

Discussion in 'ORFFW' started by TheTassieHawk, Jan 18, 2019.

1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

2019 ORFFW Recap

In a nutshell we originally planned to have a 6-10 team keeper league in 2019 but ended ip using a non keeper format in order to get enough numbers fro an 8 team league.

We used a 15 round banzai draft to fill teams with player positions set by the 2019 prospectus (very few dpp except for a dozen or so F/M players).

We made players sitting out 2019 - Daiasy Pearce, Chloe Molloy etc - ineligible for selection.

Post PSD there was an opportunity to replace drafted players injured in preseason games or otherwise not named for Round 1 with new players from the Free Agent list.

After 3 rounds we held a midseason draft where teams could add a 16th player in Round 1 and delist a current player and replace them with a new player in Round 2. Round 2 was optional although LFF were the only team not to draft in Round 2. The MSD was based on Post Round 3 ladder order and was linear and not snake. Players Under 21 as at 1st January were not eligible for the MSD but were eligible for the earlier drafts.

The 5 round regular season was randomly fixtured before some tweaks to ensure 4 rivalry matches spread throughout as we had no previous seasons on which to base a fixture. This was preferred to hosting a full round robin over 7 matches.

Unintentionally we created a conference system where teams played 2 cross conference matches but with a best 4 make the finals system resulting in a 3/1 split. If the AFL had followed suit with Confernce Champs plus 2 next best teams finals IMO they would have had a much better outcome than the system they went with.

The short season saw the 1st and 3rd highest scoring sides miss finals with 2-3 records while the 7th and 8th highest scoring sides battled it out in a tight finish for 4th and 5th positions.

Recap over - what about the future?

Whilst exciting for our comp ideally the ORRFW would have a longer season if/when the AFL extends the AFLW season. Until then a 6 team comp with a 2nd vs 3rd prelim,8 team comp with 6 rounds plus a Grand Final, 8 team comp with no finals and 10 team comp with 5 home and away rounds. Thinking more laterally a 12 team Div 1/Div 2 format could also provide a good way to operate from 2020 onwards if the 7 round AFLW stays.

Keeper vs draft afresh - ideally in 2020 we have both.

Team/squad size/Draft formats etc - I am more than happy to see what others (see @Len's post below) think and put my ideas up later. We now have some real world experience (and a fabulous Ts Stats database) and can tweak the 2019 format according to everyone's input without disadvantaging any existing side.

Growth of ORFFW - If we use the next 11 months to get on social media and other fantasy sites to attract new coaches and also target the ORFF* mens team coaches we should be able to get enough new coaches to really kick start the women's footy on the site in a big way.

As always please contribute to the discussion regardless of whether or not you participated in ORFFW 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Going to be an interesting keeper draft next year.
    Given there will be 14 AFLW teams, a 40% bigger pool I'd like to see something along the lines of (rough sketch only);
    15 onfield, 4 emerg - ORFF std
    Max list 26, MSD optional
    Max "next year" PSD draft entry list of 15, increasing 1 per year to 18.
    So a maximum keeper rate of 57% year 2021, 61% 2022, 65% 2023 and then 69% from there

3. TheTassieHawk

Cheers for the look ahead to 2020 Len. I will start up a separate thread and move your post there to kick off discussion and add my own thoughts as well. Given our shared 2019 experience it should be interesting to see various points of view for next season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheTassieHawk

5. Len

@TheTassieHawk I am very grateful for the amount of work you do, mostly behind the scenes, to support every league you are a part of, huge asset to this community :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I had a lot of fun with this and a keeper league would be the way to go for sure, but Im not sure about formats and rules. I think Im happy to go with the flow at this stage.

It will be interesting to see what the AFLW fixture will be next year because a longer season would be ideal!

• Like Like x 2
  7. FreoDockers

FreoDockers Administrator

I had a blast with this! Was a great format and I appreciate every bit of hard work that goes on behind the scenes as I know I haven't contributed nearly as much as I would have liked to. In saying that, I'd just like to go around again in whatever format the ORFFW takes for 2020. The addition of new teams next year will certainly grow the pool of players, and hopefully the AFL can sort the farcical conference system out, as it clearly didn't work this year.

• Like Like x 4
  8. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah definitely keeper from 2020 with a fresh draft.
    Like the option of running a similar on field set up to the men's ORF comps.
    Number of teams in the league? not sure but 10-12 sounds good. Hopefully a much longer season ensues.
    I'm on board with Len's keeper percentages, makes for hopefully a more competitive comp and greater value on picks.
    Thanks to all involved this season and esp @TheTassieHawk for amazing coordination.

• Like Like x 2
  9. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Given the shorter AFLW season I agree with the idea of increasing the team size above eight players, although how many teams are in the league would need to be factored in when determining how much the team size should be increased by. Increasing the size of teams would hopefully increase the correlation between total points scored and final ladder position. I am in favour of an interchange line for the team, especially given that in the first three seasons of the women’s comp players have been less settled in a position than in the men’s comp.

Ideally it would be great to have every team in the comp playing each other once however this is going to be impacted by how many rounds are in the 2020 AFLW fixture.

My preference is for a keeper league in 2020, however it probably worked out well having a stand-alone season in 2019, especially given the uncertainty in the AFLW fixture structure in 2020 and beyond with another four teams joining the comp.

I agree with @Len that the keeper percentages should be lower than for the AFL ORFF comps and should gradually increase over time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheTassieHawk

Having crunched the numbers on the 2019 AFLW season here http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/2019-aflw-season-stats-analysis.90570/ I am posting some further 2019 AFLW stats in this thread so that those interested can contribute to the discussion regarding proposed 2020 team structures in December.

Recapping that in 2019 the format we ran with for the first ORFFW season was 8 players per side (2D-3M-2F-1R) plus 1 emergency covering any position, with the emergency score being used at 100%. We started with 15 player squads and had 6 players unused each week, then increased this to 16 players with 7 unused each week. Positions were assigned as per the 2019 AFLW prospectus and scores were AFLW fantasy/draftstars scores.

Please note that the following analysis reflects the lowest averaging player qualifying as D/M/F/R 1, D/M/F/R 2 etc for leagues of 6-14 trams. For example for a 6 team league D1 = the 6th best defender, D2 = 12th best defender, etc and similarly for an 8 team league D1 = 8th best defender, D2 = 16th best defender and so on. N/A against a position means that there were not enough players for all teams in the league to fil that spot in their squad, so for example in a 10 team league there were less than 70 Forward or Mid/Forward eligible players hence F7 is N/A.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheTassieHawk

I am proposing that in 2020 for leagues with up to 10 teams the ORFFW format be changed to 13 players per side (3D-4M-3F-1R-2IC) plus 5 emergencies (ie 1 on each line) with squads of 21 and 3 players unused each week, then expanding lists by one player post the MSD. I feel that this gives a better balance to teams than the traditional 15 player lineup used in mens ORFF* leagues due to the lack of defenders scoring at a comparable rate to other positions and a relative shortage of forward eligible players in 2019.

Table 1 = 13 player format for 6-12 teams in 2019

table1.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheTassieHawk

I am also proposing that in 2020 for leagues with 12 or more teams the format be changed to 9 players per side (2D-4M-2F-1R) plus 4 emergencies (ie 1 on each line) with 15 in the squad and 3 players unused each week prior to the MSD, and 16 in the squad and 4 players unused after the MSD. I feel that this gives a better balance to teams than last years 8 player format as so many high scoring midfielders were not able to be fielded, while the change to multiple emergencies keeps every player in the squad relevant and rewards active list managers.

Table 2 = 9 player format for 12-14 teams in 2019

table 2.png

Both the proposed 9 and 13 player formats would apply 60% scores to out of position emergency players.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheTassieHawk

As the 12 team league is proposed as the tipping point for the 9 player vs 13 player format it is worth looking at both options side by side for discussion.

Table 3 = 9 player and 13 player options for 12 team leagues in 2019

table 3.png

Please note that the analysis in this post and those above reflects a 10 team AFLW and no doubt a 14 team league this season will provide higher scoring with another 84 players running out each week and an extra 120 listed players to choose from. My rough aim in these proposals is to allow for that increase and also to keep the weakest onfield scorers in the vicinity of 40 plus for an average side in a 10 or 12 team ORFFW league while we continue to use AFLW fantasy scoring.

Now over to you lot for your feedback and advice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheTassieHawk

15. FreoDockers

FreoDockers Administrator

Hello TTH, that's an awesome volume of work you've put together! Personally, I think 10 team leagues would be fine - given we only scraped 8 sides together last year... I like the concept of 13 a side + 5 emergencies with total squads of 21. That would mean 210 players to be chosen out of AFLW total lists of 420 - a solid 50% of players being selected. Being able to pick the cream of the competition should result in some pretty healthy scoring each week as well. However as always I am still the newby of the group so am happy to roll with whatever the majority decides!!
    So yes, count me in for the comp in 2020!

16. Len

I'm in :)

17. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Yep definitely in.
    As far as league size goes, I’m happy with 10.
    List size..the 13 option sounds fair.
    Cheers for the analysis TTH.

• Like Like x 1